If Cormier beats Gus, do u give him any chance against Bones in a second time?

I would have given him a decent chance in a rematch regardless, but especially after Jones is coming in off a long lay off. I had it 48-47 Jones in the first fight, with a few tweaks Cormier could definitely win.

Nope. Cormier couldn't beat a coked up partying Jon Jones, a serious training, something to prove Jones will beat DC inside of 3 rounds

Nope. Cormier couldn't beat a coked up partying Jon Jones, a serious training, something to prove Jones will beat DC inside of 3 rounds

I agree with this...but could see the long layoff being a factor. DC is keeping active fighting two of the best guys in the division and might have even more fights under his belt before Jon ever steps back into the cage.

IMO Gus have better chances in rematch with Jones than DC, but both under 5/10.

Nah Jones is just a nightmare match up for Cormier.

I already give DC a great chance in a rematch against Jones. My concern with that rematch is the fact that DC is old and Jones doesn't seem to be returning soon.

Cormier CAN beat Jones if he were able to make the necessary adjustments. He was having some success in that fight with his hands and pressure, but he wilted badly. He's getting older and I feel he's closer to his ceiling than Jones. Undoubtedly his best chance to defeat Jones is when he comes back to MMA.

Time has shown that long lay-offs affect a fighter badly, and we don't know where Jones will be mentally.

Regardless of if he beats Gus or anyone, I give him the best chance to "dethrone" Jones at LHW. He's a beast. Jones did a good, safe job the first time around. I'd go with DC in the rematch. He's the type, much like Cain, to do better when given a second chance.

But, like someone already mentioned, sorry - Jones is going to prison.

I think he has a chance, a small one.

DC/Jones wasn't as one sided as some posters like to claim.

People have no idea how hard it is to make an olympic team in wrestling, none the less make it to the finals....Wrestling in MMA is completely different from amateur wrestling, if they would go head to head in wrestling, Cormier would win every time...He wasn't really wrestling with Cormier, he was being very cautious, with a very tight defensive game, excellent hand and wrist control, there are a lot of things that are very difficult to pull of in MMA for high level wrestlers like Cormier, due to the strikes.

I agree, Jon won the fight, no doubt, but to go from getting a few takedowns on an exhausted former olympic wrestler to "I think he would have won the olympics" when he hasn't event competed internationally, is ignorant.

plus, eyepokes are illegal in the Olympics...or so I'd guess anyway.

DC will get decisioned again by Jones and would lose to Werdum too

I hate Jones but he beats anyone in the UFC including Verdoooom and Cain.

Gonna go against the grain and say that DC beats Jones. Why?

Experience.

I think that DC learning Jones TD and TDD style will help him immensely in the second fight. I think he knows his range better now as well, as lopsided as it is in Jones favor.

One thing that DC could really stand to lose in a second fight with Jones is his 'pick up and slam' style of takedown. It doesn't work as well against someone like Jones, he could almost put his arm on the ground even when DC had him all the way up in the air.

no. i just dont think his style meshes well against jones. add to the fact that dc is on the wrong side of thirty and jones is still on the right side, by the time jones comes back i dont think dc will have much to offer

Doesn't matter if he dominates Gus from the start, he will never beat Jones. I wish Jones just moved up to HW when he returns, would be great watching him fight guys that are of similar size.

I'd rather see jones v Gus II.

I think jones would win more convincingly the next time tho

Gonna go against the grain and say that DC beats Jones. Why?

Experience.

I think that DC learning Jones TD and TDD style will help him immensely in the second fight. I think he knows his range better now as well, as lopsided as it is in Jones favor.

One thing that DC could really stand to lose in a second fight with Jones is his 'pick up and slam' style of takedown. It doesn't work as well against someone like Jones, he could almost put his arm on the ground even when DC had him all the way up in the air.

Why do you think Jones wouldnt learn better DC style too? He seems to have ore adjustable mind than DC.

I don't see DC having a great chance of defeating Jones after the last fight. The fight itself was competitive but Bones established himself as the Alpha.

Jones is in his prime right now. He is pretty much not losing to anyone at 205 at this stage of his career. When he gets older, he will lose just like the Fedors of the world. However, he is still pretty young and I don't see any version of DC beating a healthy Jon Jones.

I would probably even pick Jones to beat most of the current Heavyweights in the UFC right now. He is that talented.

PS. As for his legal issues. I doubt the Zuffa owners let someone like Jones rot in jail. He's a cash cow. He will be paying some crazy fines and doing community service but I highly doubt he does any jail time. The world just works differently for people who have access to money.

Back