If Conor wins has to be in the top 5 GOAT

Not a Conor fan but I do appreciate a great fighter when I see one. No one has done what Conor has done and made it look as good. He has one of the most devastating weapons in MMA history, that left hand. Once that left hand lands not many people are able to stop it.
Unfotunately he's mid fw and lw. However he stepped up a div and fought bigger fighters and an arguable goat in khabib who nearly dies cutting weight to lw. If he could win the lw title then he has a claim. But he wont imo.

He never defended a title and his resume since his first title win is weak.

Absolutely nowhere close to even top 20.

You guys have to factor in accomplishments, regardless of how you feel about the difficulty level. Not many fighters accomplished more than Conor. They may have more title defenses, but are not double champs. It's not as easy as you guys think it is and many have failed attempting to be 2 division champions. Who do you guys have ahead of Conor in terms of actual accomplishments? The list should be separated 2 division champs first, then champions with most title defenses. Much harder to become 2 division champ and that's why that list is short compared to the list of 1 division champions. In order to become 2 division champ you have to beat another champion, title defenses are just contenders, not champions. More stock in beating an active champion.
Wrong. It's easy depending on match ups and opportunities given by the UFC. Plenty of guys could've been double champs first but UFC didn't let them. Only thing Clown has accomplished is running his mouth to bring in new dipshit, toxic fans into the sport. Guy's an average fighter. Not terrible, not great. That's why he has to compensate with mental warfare. And even then he still loses. Once you get over his shit talking he becomes average. Solid left hand but that's it. If he was special he would've defended, moved up, won the belt like GSP, Cejudo, Nunez and DC. The fact he has zero wins at LW says he should never have fought for the title in the first place. Give Barbosa a shot at Oliveira right now and he could be champ. Clown skipped his toughest match ups. Earning the shot is what's hard.

Cuz you know you're full of shit when you post these threads. So these threads are full of shit. And the worst thing that could happen is someone accidentally reads your shit seriously and fills this shit thread with more shit.

It's why some would call you a "shit poster"

That is very said... I hope no one believes that bullshit. Seems like you are starting to though. BTW many people have already agreed with me, like these guy below... So who is the bullshiter? Liar.
he already is
Not just the left-hand. He beat Diaz in the rematch with mostly leg kicks + put Cerrone down with a head kick.

Wrong. It's easy depending on match ups and opportunities given by the UFC. Plenty of guys could've been double champs first but UFC didn't let them. Only thing Clown has accomplished is running his mouth to bring in new dipshit, toxic fans into the sport. Guy's an average fighter. Not terrible, not great. That's why he has to compensate with mental warfare. And even then he still loses. Once you get over his shit talking he becomes average. Solid left hand but that's it. If he was special he would've defended, moved up, won the belt like GSP, Cejudo, Nunez and DC. The fact he has zero wins at LW says he should never have fought for the title in the first place. Give Barbosa a shot at Oliveira right now and he could be champ. Clown skipped his toughest match ups. Earning the shot is what's hard.
If it's so easy then why isn't everyone doing it? Because it isn't. If it was easy more fighters would challenge themselves in higher weight classes, more champions would try to be a champion in more than 1 division. Yet very few do it. Yes you named other fighters willing to challenge themselves in other divisions. But some of those wins aren't as credible as Conor's. Conor beat a defending champion for the belt. There wasn't an issue with the belt being stripped or vacated. So he will rank higher than the 2 division champs that didn't win the belt from a defending champion.

For example Max, Izzy, and TJ failed trying to be a champion in 2 divisions. It's not as easy as people think it is, if more fighters tried you would also see more fighters fail.

Totally incorrect. Dana does not just give champs the option to bump up and do it. It has happened on rare rare occasions with guys that have defended time and time again and have virtually cleaned out their division. Sorry, I don't feel Conors two division champ thing is as status earning as you make it, and I am pretty sure most MMA pundits wholly agree. It's cool though, we don't need to agree on everything.

In addition, I think the jumping up obfuscates two major point:
- he didnt want to risk an Aldo rematch
- he couldn't make weight without the IV hydration
He's given the opportunity to many fighters like Max, Izzy, TJ, Conor, DC, Nunes, Cejudo, GSP, BJ, Couture, etc.

You think it's easier to defend vs non-champions instead of beating a champion in a higher division? Fighters don't even want to move up in weight, yet alone fight a champion in a higher weight class. It's harder beating a champion than a non-champion, that's why they are a champion. Meaning they are at that moment the best in that division. Contenders are contenders, they are not champions. Just moving up in weight to fight bigger fighters adds a lot more difficulty level in fights, and that's just for contenders. Even harder difficulty level if you are fighting championship level fighters that's also bigger than you physcially. You MMA pundits should train and fight more, so you guys know what is actually harder to do.

Not a Conor fan but I do appreciate a great fighter when I see one. No one has done what Conor has done and made it look as good. He has one of the most devastating weapons in MMA history, that left hand. Once that left hand lands not many people are able to stop it.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

He's given the opportunity to many fighters like Max, Izzy, TJ, Conor, DC, Nunes, Cejudo, GSP, BJ, Couture, etc.

You think it's easier to defend vs non-champions instead of beating a champion in a higher division? Fighters don't even want to move up in weight, yet alone fight a champion in a higher weight class. It's harder beating a champion than a non-champion, that's why they are a champion. Meaning they are at that moment the best in that division. Contenders are contenders, they are not champions. Just moving up in weight to fight bigger fighters adds a lot more difficulty level in fights, and that's just for contenders. Even harder difficulty level if you are fighting championship level fighters that's also bigger than you physcially. You MMA pundits should train and fight more, so you guys know what is actually harder to do.
That's all well and good except that the reality of him moving up was the ban on IV hydration. So. Yea. And it was a win win for Conor. If he loses he just says oh well I still have the 145 belt. And he still gets to avoid the rematch. And every single one you've mentioned have been champs who defended repeatedly. Its a nice accomplishment, but to not admit he was completely gifted something that no one else in the history has been gifted is just plain wrong. And the idea that it's harder to beat the champ than the non champ normally holds. But i've yet to find a single person who is being honest who would call Alvarez the best at 155 at that time. I don't know why you're so invested in defending this point, very few people hang their hat on the champ champ thing being even close to as impressive as Cejudo's or DCs so

This.
Earning your way to a title shot at a new weight class > defending/clearing out your own division > being a natural 145er and not relying on IV hydration to help you get there > Conor's accomplishment

Sorry but that list it terrible. Matt Hughes at 6th all-time? lol no.

Lyoto Machida 18th ever, Wand 19th, Tyrone Woodley 25th, Eddie Alvarez 26th.

That's awful. Look TS is obviously wrong here, but McGregor is already like top 15-20 range. Legit double champ, historic dominance at 145 and dethroned the GOAT Aldo there, moved up and legit beat Alvarez (ranked 26th in that list). Not just beat, raped Eddie.
Conor has "historical dominance" at 145 but you take issue with Hughes at 6? Do you have him higher?

Not just the left-hand. He beat Diaz in the rematch with mostly leg kicks + put Cerrone down with a head kick.
Clearly Conor will KO Dustin in 4 seconds and the force of the punch will KO 3/4ths of the crowd and all the Conor fans on Sherdog will finally get laid for their loyalty.

You got everything right except for the part of getting laid. all of us have gotten laid...

I agree!
That nuclear left is a sight to behold.

Wasted his prime years doing drugs and drinking alcohol.

He ain't sniffing no GOAT talks lol. Yall are delusional

I know you hate McGregor, so I think you're biased no offense.

Yes I would easily say historical. What he did at FW was go 7-0 with 6 KOs. His only decision was when he tore his ACL and still beat Holloway, who was in his 5th UFC fight and obviously is good. I think the "green" narrative is a bit exaggerated but yes he was green to an extent.

Regardless, 7-0, 6 KOs, finished Mendes who was top tier at the time and knocked out Aldo in legitimately 6 seconds or something. Won the FW title. I'd call that one of the best runs in MMA ever, easily historic.

Then he became the first simultaneous double champ ever, and he beat Alvarez a very legit LW, an all-time great LW really, to do so. So that's the argument for McGregor. He's still no where close to top 5 all-time. He's probably somewhere between 13 and 20 depending on how he finishes his career and how subjectively high you rank him.

Was Khabib's run historic at LW? Clearly everyone would agree. He went 13-0 and honestly faced, arguably, lesser competition to do so. Never got a double champ. I think recency bias is/was hot on Khabib but top 5 all-time is certainly reasonable to argue for him. Main difference, title defenses of course. Undefated. But again, McGregor has competed up a division or really 1.5 divisions (Diaz, Cerrone) from his original, I think that is overlooked as well constantly.
I agree. Conors resume is way ahead of Habibs.
Hell he even won all 3 rounds against him and was about to win the fourth until Habib got lucky...

That's all well and good except that the reality of him moving up was the ban on IV hydration. So. Yea. And it was a win win for Conor. If he loses he just says oh well I still have the 145 belt. And he still gets to avoid the rematch. And every single one you've mentioned have been champs who defended repeatedly. Its a nice accomplishment, but to not admit he was completely gifted something that no one else in the history has been gifted is just plain wrong. And the idea that it's harder to beat the champ than the non champ normally holds. But i've yet to find a single person who is being honest who would call Alvarez the best at 155 at that time. I don't know why you're so invested in defending this point, very few people hang their hat on the champ champ thing being even close to as impressive as Cejudo's or DCs so
He still accomplished it, being gifted wouldn't matter if he didn't succeed. He just got fast tracked, lots of fighters get fast tracked and not everyone is able to succeed. Look at Suga and Northcutt for example. People just like to discredit Conor's accomplishments. He isn't the same fighter anymore, but maybe he'll come close to how he used to be in the trilogy match. That still needs to be seen and I guess we'll see how things go next month. DC's win is legit because he beat a defending champion. Cejudo's situation is a bit weird since he beat the champion at 125 and TJ popped and got stripped at 135 so he won the belt while the division was vacant of a champion. Just because of those variables Conor's 2 division accomplishment is a bit better than Cejudo's. Conor takes risk that other fighters are scared to take. People talk about him going for the biggest prize all the time, but given the same situation/opportunity other fighters don't take the same risks he takes.

Earn is subjective. Every fighter that goes for 2 division champ is not fighting up the rankings, they challenge the champion in the division below or above them. Yes he didn't defend and that's what people use against him. To me what he did is harder than just defending the title vs a contender. Yes multiple title defenses for years is a great accomplishment and those champions are ranked higher than regular champions. Just like 2 division champs should be ranked higher than regular champions. They all have the option to challenge another champion in a different division, some do it and the others don't.. GSP understood this and went for the 2 division champion status. He knew what it would mean to his legacy and how being 2 division champion is viewed.

At the time Conor did it he was trying to do something that wasn't done before. He was going for the hardest challenges. He was trying to do something that hasn't been done. Many fighters have defended a championship belt, no one held 2 division championship belts at the same time before.
So you're honestly more impressed that GSP came back to beat Bisping who's been ridiculed as the weakest middleweight champion ever (i disagree), than his multiple title defenses over several years against several contenders in the p4p rankings?

Also, Dan Henderson did it before Conor f

He still accomplished it, being gifted wouldn't matter if he didn't succeed. He just got fast tracked, lots of fighters get fast tracked and not everyone is able to succeed. Look at Suga and Northcutt for example. People just like to discredit Conor's accomplishments. He isn't the same fighter anymore, but maybe he'll come close to how he used to be in the trilogy match. That still needs to be seen and I guess we'll see how things go next month. DC's win is legit because he beat a defending champion. Cejudo's situation is a bit weird since he beat the champion at 125 and TJ popped and got stripped at 135 so he won the belt while the division was vacant of a champion. Just because of those variables Conor's 2 division accomplishment is a bit better than Cejudo's. Conor takes risk that other fighters are scared to take. People talk about him going for the biggest prize all the time, but given the same situation/opportunity other fighters don't take the same risks he takes.
No, we aren't discrediting his accomplishments, we are just saying absolutely no one was gifted the path he was. No one ever. Your refusal to even admit that just shows how bias you are in his defense. Did you just compare Northcutt to Conor? Wow. And you actually are giving more credit to Conor than Cejudo, which I am not sure I have ever heard anyone with half a brain do. The guy beats MM, defends against an EPO stud. Then wins a belt up a weight, and defends that. But sure, Conor beating Alvarez, a guy who has won 1 out of his last 7 since then, because he couldn't make 145, not because he was going up as a "challenge for himself" as you so claim, is more impressive. Avoids defending at 45, and then bails on defending at 55. Man its ok to like Conor, think his accomplishments are great, but also agree they are completely overblown, and that he has regressed back to the mean that he likely always was at 155.

And you have fallen right into his trap. "Other fighters don't take the risks he takes.." He never defended. So already, almost every single champion has taken a risk he hasn't. Going up a weight to challenge the champ (and I will remind you for the 10th time, this was not a risk because he straight out couldn't make 145 anymore) is so much less risky than defending the belt at 145 and risking his legacy. A loss to Aldo stops the train in its tracks. A loss to Alvarez and its like "eh good for him he tried." Izzy JUST proved that. No one seems to care about him going up and getting handled by Jan. An additional defense back at 85 and he's a legend again.

Back