If conor went in to boxing instead of MMA...

Would you expect his boxing coach to say "No, Conor was actually mediocre"? I doubt Conor was anything remarkable in the amateur ranks, let alone as a potential pro.

He lacks durability, which is more important in boxing than mma. Conor is not a particularly remarkable athlete by mma standards, let alone boxing ones.

which is why I said he has the physical attributes. He is athletic, but more importantly for boxing, is he’s quick, precise and with good timing

you do toughen up and become conditioned after a while but he’s always likely to have stamina issues. Mentally he tends to wilt when the going's gets tough. That is his main issue imo as hes not going to be blowing his opponents away in a couple of rounds

Let's say in an alternate universe conor went to boxing instead of MMA. Would he be famous like he is now?

No. If he could have made in boxing, he would have and so would other people like Nick Diaz and Anderson. There's more money in it.

He is athletic, but more importantly for boxing, is he’s quick, precise and with good timing
That's the thing, he's not particularly fast of foot, nothing astounding in terms of handspeed. Good timing, but also just not quick over all, nor a very powerful puncher by elite standards. And that's in mma. He's be positively middling as a physical and athletic talent in boxing, where you need those things to be elite.
Mentally he tends to wilt when the going's gets tough.
Yeah, while he's no cardio machine, I suspect his problem is more losing mental focus in fights since he starts dialed in already.

So cute to have another thread to shot McG.
Rent free (and the guy annoys me)

That's the thing, he's not particularly fast of foot, nothing astounding in terms of handspeed. Good timing, but also just not quick over all, nor a very powerful puncher by elite standards. And that's in mma. He's be positively middling as a physical and athletic talent in boxing, where you need those things to be elite.

Yeah, while he's no cardio machine, I suspect his problem is more losing mental focus in fights since he starts dialed in already.

I don’t disagree, but what I would say is his footwork/hand speed is likely to improve if he’s a pure boxer. These traits aren’t nearly as important in MMA as boxing, where they are absolutely key, especially footwork

it all ifs, buts and maybes at the end of the day. He’s an incredibly gifted striker (& I’ve not been a fan of his since his cage warrior days), but imo he’s a bully, he doesn’t have a real fighting mentality. I think he’d excel in any combat sport, but he clearly made the right choice with MMA.

No.

He doesn’t have the heart or gass tank to reach contender level in boxing.

I don’t disagree, but what I would say is his footwork/hand speed is likely to improve if he’s a pure boxer.
Some, but at the end of the day I see it as mostly an "either you got it or you don't" trait.
These traits aren’t nearly as important in MMA as boxing, where they are absolutely key, especially footwork
I'd argue rapid straight line speed is more important in mma given you can get away with it more.
He’s an incredibly gifted striker (& I’ve not been a fan of his since his cage warrior days), but imo he’s a bully, he doesn’t have a real fighting mentality.
He's good, but I've always seen his game as overspecialized, if that makes any sense. Extremely focused, but surprisingly shallow.
I think he’d excel in any combat sport, but he clearly made the right choice with MMA.
Yes, 100 percent agree here.,

I'm well aware how good of a boxer Ali was (one of the best), but there's no denying his mouth boosted his popularity..

Plus being an icon in a very particular/interesting social context. There's simply no comparison.

Back