If conor went in to boxing instead of MMA...

Doubt anyone other than the hardcore boxing fans would ever hear of him. Imagining "How would Conor McGregor do in MMA?" posts is funny, though

No?

main-qimg-334e120b0b417835041d020a7b803254

HW + "somewhat" of a better boxer than Conor + a few other tangibles and intangibles.

That's not a fair comparison Ali was one of the best to ever put on gloves without the mouth, people seem to forget how amazing a boxer he was in his prime and even later years. He was destroying guys like liston who was the most feared hw maybe untill tyson. His mouth worked to psych out opponents like conor, but conor was no where near the athlete or skill of ali.

He did was amateur boxing before, started at 12 and was kinda good but he loved mma more when he discovered it.
However based on his Mayweather fight he probably would never become boxing star.

That's not a fair comparison Ali was one of the best to ever put on gloves without the mouth, people seem to forget how amazing a boxer he was in his prime and even later years. He was destroying guys like liston who was the most feared hw maybe untill tyson. His mouth worked to psych out opponents like conor, but conor was no where near the athlete or skill of ali.
I'm well aware how good of a boxer Ali was (one of the best), but there's no denying his mouth boosted his popularity..

I think Conor was insightful enough early on to see that he had a much more feasible track to the top by focusing on MMA. And once reaching the top in MMA, he figured out how to make a killing by boxing on the side. I can't imagine him being nearly as successful if he had taken a boxing path, and I believe that's what he thought as well.

He seems to like boxing more so maybe that would drive him to improve more

That's why I wondered if he remained a boxer since that's what he got started with. His boxing coach said he was doing well until he got in to grappling and jujitsu and just stopped showing up to boxing.

He did get his start in amateur boxing iirc. Think there's probably a reason he decided to get into MMA. The path to the top in boxing is a lot more convoluted. In mma get that UFC contract, win 5-10 in a row and you're probably fighting for a title.

He would be boxing YouTube stars... Or boxing on YouTube.

That all depends on how far he gets as a boxer. The talent pool is a lot deeper than MMA in the uk/Ireland. If he had devoted himself to boxing from when he first started in his teens, I’d expect him to reach a good level. He has he right physical attributes at least

No, he isnt good enough and boxing doesnt produce stars as effectively as the UFC these days even when it comes to most of the actual elite talents.

what?

deontay wilder?

Spence?

anthony Joshua?

Tyson fury?

Canelo?

Who does the UFC have on that level?

That's why I wondered if he remained a boxer since that's what he got started with. His boxing coach said he was doing well until he got in to grappling and jujitsu and just stopped showing up to boxing.
Would you expect his boxing coach to say "No, Conor was actually mediocre"? I doubt Conor was anything remarkable in the amateur ranks, let alone as a potential pro.
That all depends on how far he gets as a boxer. The talent pool is a lot deeper than MMA in the uk/Ireland. If he had devoted himself to boxing from when he first started in his teens, I’d expect him to reach a good level. He has he right physical attributes at least
He lacks durability, which is more important in boxing than mma. Conor is not a particularly remarkable athlete by mma standards, let alone boxing ones.

what?

deontay wilder?

Spence?

anthony Joshua?

Tyson fury?

Canelo?

Who does the UFC have on that level?

Lol is this a serious question? Conor is a far bigger star than all of them. AJ, Fury and Canelo are arguably no2, 3, 4. Spence isnt anywhere near as big a star as even guys like Adesanya, Usman and Jorge. Wilders name is know largely in relation to Fury and AJ but his only PPV without Fury did 225k buys.

Just look at social media and PPV numbers between the two sports and the names involved, the UFC produces far more stars than boxing.

He’s no Andy lee and not even on par with Irish Mike Perez or John duddy

Lol is this a serious question? Conor is a far bigger star than all of them. AJ, Fury and Canelo are arguably no2, 3, 4. Spence isnt anywhere near as big a star as even guys like Adesanya, Usman and Jorge. Wilders name is know largely in relation to Fury and AJ but his only PPV without Fury did 225k buys.

Just look at social media and PPV numbers between the two sports and the names involved, the UFC produces far more stars than boxing.

why do the boxers you mentioned make more in a fight or two than everyone mentioned in mma. if they sell more and bring in more money?

why do the boxers you mentioned make more in a fight or two than everyone mentioned in mma. if they sell more and bring in more money?

Because MMA is a young sport and the UFC monopolizes it. Give it another decade or so and even the pay argument wont be in favour of boxing anymore.

Wouldn't be good enough to be anyone relevant

Hasn't the stamina, or heart to be a top boxer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back