If conor went in to boxing instead of MMA...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Let's say in an alternate universe conor went to boxing instead of MMA. Would he be famous like he is now?

Probably not. Running your mouth doesn’t get you as far in boxing as it does mma.

In boxing you need a manager to feed you cans for 20 fights. And I doubt one of them takes some unemployed ex plumber from Ireland under his wing

I think he would be decently famous, but nowhere near the level of popularity he is now or back in 2016.

Running your mouth doesn’t get you as far in boxing as it does mma.
No?

main-qimg-334e120b0b417835041d020a7b803254

He would probably be an average mid tier welterweight skill wise, but yeah i think his personality would have still lead to popularity.

I don't know.

There's a lot more market saturation in boxing with a deeper talent pool.

The smart move is like he did to cross over after building his brand up.

He seems to like boxing more so maybe that would drive him to improve more

No, he isnt good enough and boxing doesnt produce stars as effectively as the UFC these days even when it comes to most of the actual elite talents.

With the same skill set? Not a chance, lets say he remains undefeated or almost for his career then huge chances he is as popular, its not like boxing doesnt love a trash talker that wins fights.

Let's say in an alternate universe conor went to boxing instead of MMA. Would he be famous like he is now?

It really depends how good he is as a boxer. Boxing fans are a lot less forgiving and quick to write guys off after losses, especially in the UK.

Assuming McGregor follows the same trajectory, he's making a name for himself 2013-2014 and fights for the title in 2015... he's fighting at 147-154 in boxing, and that puts him in line to fight guys like Pacquaio, Mayweather, Canelo, and some other huge names. So there's a ton of potential there.

So lets assume the alternative universe plays out the way it does in reality. Conor fights Aldo in late 2015 for the 145lb title. Who is the #1 147lb boxer in the world in late 2015? Floyd Mayweather. So McGregor beats Floyd Mayweather by early knockout. He gets upset by a highly ranked fighter in his next fight, then avenges the loss, and then challenges Alvarez for the 155lb title. Assume that happens in boxing universe too. Who's the #1 154lb boxer in the world at that time? Canelo Alvarez.

So yeah, if McGregor knocks out Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, he is a bigger star than legitimate Conor. I think people would be praying to his statue all over Europe.

It really depends how good he is as a boxer. Boxing fans are a lot less forgiving and quick to write guys off after losses, especially in the UK.

Assuming McGregor follows the same trajectory, he's making a name for himself 2013-2014 and fights for the title in 2015... he's fighting at 147-154 in boxing, and that puts him in line to fight guys like Pacquaio, Mayweather, Canelo, and some other huge names. So there's a ton of potential there.

So lets assume the alternative universe plays out the way it does in reality. Conor fights Aldo in late 2015 for the 145lb title. Who is the #1 147lb boxer in the world in late 2015? Floyd Mayweather. So McGregor beats Floyd Mayweather by early knockout. He gets upset by a highly ranked fighter in his next fight, then avenges the loss, and then challenges Alvarez for the 155lb title. Assume that happens in boxing universe too. Who's the #1 154lb boxer in the world at that time? Canelo Alvarez.

So yeah, if McGregor knocks out Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, he is a bigger star than legitimate Conor. I think people would be praying to his statue all over Europe.
I agree. But I think KO'ing Mayweather and Canelo is a lot harder than beating Aldo and Eddie. I mean, Mcregor took up MMA as an adult, can you imagine someone starting to train boxing over the age of 20 and beating Mayweather and Canelo? These guys are training since childhood, made it through a huge talent pool. Mayweather comes from a boxing family, started as an amateur, went to the Olympics. Even if Promoters at the highest level are ruining boxing, the sport is still in another place compared to MMA.

Back