If Conor was quiet guy with a boring personality

Just a username

Black Belt
Reaction score
...would as many pick him to beat Aldo?

As things are almost 30% are picking him to beat Aldo. Which is kinda strange imo. Not because i don't rate Conor as a fighter, because i really do, but rather because Aldo is a P4P fighter who's come very close to cleaning out of his division. He's one of those dominant champs who you don't pick to lose until they actually do.

So what you think, how much has the persona Conor has been playing affected people's views on him as a fighter?

Conor is great for the sport all I can say is that

you mean if he was Gunnar Nelson?

If anything, the hate is making people pick against him. If people on here were objective, about 80% would be picking him against Aldo.

The question is where will his mouth sounds go once he gets steamrolled

His confidence is one of his biggest assets.

He seems incredibly sure of himself. That's a big part of why people are confident in him.

He says he's gonna go out and dominate all these guys, then he goes out and does it. He's won every fight he's had in the UFC in incredibly dominant and one sided fashion, as he's predicted.

So you can't really divorce his brash personality from his abilities, because part of his personality is that he's so fucking good he's gonna run through everyone and he's doing that.

He seems incredibly sure of himself. That's a big part of why people are confident in him.

He says he's gonna go out and dominate all these guys, then he goes out and does it. He's won every fight he's had in the UFC in incredibly dominant and one sided fashion, as he's predicted.

So you can't really divorce his brash personality from his abilities, because part of his personality is that he's so fucking good he's gonna run through everyone and he's doing that.

Sure i can, i can gauge his skills and compare them to Aldo's. His personality won't win him a fight vs Aldo.

Now, that's a comment i can't take seriously. What have you been watching ffs?

If we're being honest, this is a guy who has dismantled 5 UFC opponents and made it look easy. If people didn't dislike him so much, they would be more open to the idea that he's a top 4 FW, which he is.

But because he's a big talker, somehow he's a fraud. The only people in the division people think can beat him are Aldo, the long time champion, Chad Mendes and Frankie Edgar. Some of the most dominant guys ever. And because of that, there are people talking about him like he belongs in WSOF.

You can't really act like it has nothing to do with people's perception of his skills.

If we're being honest, this is a guy who has dismantled 5 UFC opponents and made it look easy. If people didn't dislike him so much, they would be more open to the idea that he's a top 4 FW, which he is.

But because he's a big talker, somehow he's a fraud. The only people in the division people think can beat him are Aldo, the long time champion, Chad Mendes and Frankie Edgar. Some of the most dominant guys ever. And because of that, there are people talking about him like he belongs in WSOF.

You can't really act like it has nothing to do with people's perception of his skills.

So if he had a neutral personality, it would be natural for 80% of the people here to pick him over Aldo? Because that's what the guy i responded to said.

Everyone recognizes that's he's a top 5 FW btw. That's why you only see people picking Aldo, Mendes, Edgar and sometimes Lamas over him.

Sure i can, i can gauge his skills and compare them to Aldo's. His personality won't win him a fight vs Aldo.

His confidence in himself is part of why people give him a chance. He's not gonna fold like Ricardo Lamas did.

The way he talks, he has everyone believing he'd rather go out on his shield than lose a pedestrian decision the way a lot of his opponents have decided they were willing to do.

Other than Chad Mendes in the second fight, no one has really been willing to lay it all on the line against Aldo in order to get a win. In order to stop him. Conor will. And that...is due to his personality.

No they wouldn't and he wouldn't be getting a title shot yet either. He also probably wouldn't have gotten as favorable a style matchup this last time out either. He's good for marketing, and promotion, plus he can fight, but he's getting a title shot almost purely for business reasons, as Edgar far and away deserves it. And as for people picking him, anytime you have a fighter who is exciting, a bit enigmatic, and has some kind of allure, they'll have a delusional segment of their fanbase. Conor might be the real deal, or he might be Nick Diaz, a fighter with a cult following who promoted as elite, but who was mostly a product of favorable matchups and couldn't win when it counted most. We'll find out soon enough, after Aldo, win or lose, Conor will be fighting guys like Edgar, Mendes, Lamas, Cub Swanson etc, from here on out.

I'm not denying that he is, the hype he created for the FW division has been awesome, But do you think that people rate his skills correctly?

He is a phenomenal striker nobody cant deny that...for sure there are still a lot of questions about him cardio,wrestling,heart,chin...and at the end of the day war Aldo

His confidence in himself is part of why people give him a chance. He's not gonna fold like Ricardo Lamas did.

The way he talks, he has everyone believing he'd rather go out on his shield than lose a pedestrian decision the way a lot of his opponents have decided they were willing to do.

Other than Chad Mendes in the second fight, no one has really been willing to lay it all on the line against Aldo in order to get a win. In order to stop him. Conor will. And that...is due to his personality.

You can be confident and quiet at the same time. So the Conor i'm proposing could be as confident as the real one, without the loudmouth persona.

Again, confidence alone will not win him a fight with Aldo. He can lay it down on the line as much he wants, if his skills aren't up for it it makes little difference.

Back