If Conor Managed to beat Khabib at UFC 229, how does MMA history change?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe that it's a good thing that Khabib won at UFC 229.

Because it helped MMA move past Conor and create new stars and legitimacy.

Conor doesn't run the UFC anymore and tie up weight classes.

Dana proved that MMA was bigger than Conor and that they would happily move on without him, especially with the ESPN deal.

If Conor had won, I think they still would have been relying on him for massive paydays and calling him the pound for pound goat.

History-wise:

I don't think Conor would have fought again for another year. He probably would have vacated.
My reasoning for this is that Conor only really fought when he had nothing to lose and everything to Gain, much like the Poirier rematch that he's getting now.

He fought for Titles and big money. With nothing else huge and exciting on the horizon, I say he retires again, calling himself GOAT, and marching off mysteriously into the sunset.

Khabib would never become as big a star as he is now.

Khabib and Poirer would fight for the interim title again.

And Conor would be a more massive star than ever before, and ready to show up and fight for the LW or WW title whenever he feels like it. The leverage would be all his.

The cheesy callouts from fighters of all weight classes would never end.

People begging the Irish callout for a payday would be insufferable. From everyone Middleweight and Below.

It would have proved that throwing dollies/hand trucks at buses works.

Leading up to the fight, most people on here knew Khabib wasn't going to lose, the shit Conor kept pulling for months, defeat was simply not an option for Khabib.

Same thing would have been said if Aldo had fucked him up. That stuff cuts both ways. Conor was still a precision counter puncher and one unfortunate zig from Khabib could’ve changed the fight. To his credit he fought very composed and smart. Clearly he’s able to do that well, as he exploded with emotion (for different reasons) after the Conor and JG fights. Good ability to have.

If Adam does not eat the apple how does history change?

*Disclaimer: This thread may cause seizures*

Dana proved that MMA was bigger than Conor and that they would happily move on without him, especially with the ESPN deal.

If Conor had won, I think they still would have been relying on him for massive paydays and calling him the pound for pound goat.

History-wise:

I don't think Conor would have fought again for another year. He probably would have vacated.
My reasoning for this is that Conor only really fought when he had nothing to lose and everything to Gain, much like the Poirier rematch that he's getting now.

He fought for Titles and big money. With nothing else huge and exciting on the horizon, I say he retires again, calling himself GOAT, and marching off mysteriously into the sunset.

And Conor would be a more massive star than ever before, and ready to show up and fight for the LW or WW title whenever he feels like it. The leverage would be all his.

People begging the Irish callout for a payday would be insufferable. From everyone Middleweight and Below.

It’s definitely for the best that he didn’t pull it off.

For starters, he definitely would’ve gone back to boxing. At that point the belts would almost become irrelevant to him. Whenever he felt like it he’d fight for whatever belt he wanted, so what’s the difference.

We MAY have gotten some interesting moments though. Diaz trilogy for the LW belt would have been cool. And imagine if Nate pulled it off. Maybe we get the Poirier fight or Gaethje gets a shot, giving those guys the opportunity of a lifetime. Maybe we get a rematch with Khabib (kinda doubt it but who knows). Maybe Conor goes up for the welterweight belt, or fights Jorge at some point.

I still think what happened was for the best, because the guy was out of his mind and needed to be checked. (There’s also a chance that Khabib’s team would have spazzed even worse and someone would’ve gotten badly hurt).

More real fights out of Khabib. How can you be satisfied with his career ending that early?

History-wise:

Conor winning was the best that could have happened to the UFC. The rematch would of been bonkers (if the same post fight melee happened), and Conor was already trending in main stream media bringing in new fans/money to UFC. I doubt Conor retires, he likes the limelight too much.

Khabib packed up shop and retired only a couple of fights later messing up the potential stars in the division because now there is always the question is could Khabib have beaten them, which is a shame because it is becoming one of the most stacked divisions.

History-wise:

If Conor had won then there would have been a new golden age of MMA.

History-wise:

Conor couldn't manage to beat Khabib anymore than Bill Cosby can open a matchmaking service for older men and younger women. Conor gave Khabib such a hard fight that Khabib managed to get out of the ring and attack Danis. Conor had an amazing run at FW but doesn't look special at LW.

Conor would have been the one to jump over the cage and punch Dillon Danis in the face. Air Proper would have been born.

History-wise:

easy answer is : we don't know. There's no way to know. So its kinda pointless to even think about it.

There's no question that Conor would have gone back to boxing, whether it be Mayweather, Pacquiao, or Paulie. And if he ever came back to MMA, it certainly wouldn't be to defend the LW title. If anything, he probably would have fought for the WW title.

The real question is this: after he lost against Woodley, what would he have done? For the first time in his career, he'd have his back against the wall in terms of needing to defend a title. I imagine he'd either retire at that point or give Nate an undeserving title shot to finish off the trilogy.

Khabib defended his belt. Anytime Connor won one, he never defended it. Champions don't do that shit. The amount of training and seriousness in Khabib's career outshines anything Connor has done. He relied on his charisma to get his money. It worked for him, but eventually he stopped taking it seriously and just started losing.

Back