If Conor continues to be lowkey prefight, will his PPV numbers decline?

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suppose he continues to present himself prefight the way he has for Poirier (and if I remember correctly, Cowboy), and suppose he continues to win, do you think his PPV numbers will see a steady decline?

Curious what Sherdog thinks about the psychology of the crowd.

Dana said before that UFC 257 was trending at 1.5 million.

And considering the fact that McGregor Cerrone outsold the Mendes and Aldo fights (trash talking prime), I'd say it'll have little to no effect.

Maybe they will drop a little, but I don't think so. He has become such a PPV star that his name holds so much weight no matter what he acts like before a fight. I think Connor has two different personas he brings to his fights. Which one he plays is depending on the situation and opponent. You have the humble guy for Cerrone and Dustin, and you got the Cocky, Arrogant persona for Khabib, Diaz, Alvarez etc...So depending on who he fights next i think his demeanor and fight lead up antics will most likely change. I cant wait for Saturday, and i honestly think Conor is playing mind games with Dustin by being Humble. He is being unpredictable, and being unpredictable in the fight game is dangerous. Round 1 or 2 KO/TKO for Conor.

Maybe they will drop a little, but I don't think so. He has become such a PPV star that his name holds so much weight no matter what he acts like before a fight. I think Connor has two different personas he brings to his fights. Which one he plays is depending on the situation and opponent. You have the humble guy for Cerrone and Dustin, and you got the Cocky, Arrogant persona for Khabib, Diaz, Alvarez etc...So depending on who he fights next i think his demeanor and fight lead up antics will most likely change. I cant wait for Saturday, and i honestly think Conor is playing mind games with Dustin by being Humble. He is being unpredictable, and being unpredictable in the fight game is dangerous. Round 1 or 2 KO/TKO for Conor.
It's more due to how his opponents present themselves to him. If they are disrespectful to him or try to belittle him he does the same. He just gives them the same energy but steps it up a little bit more. Except for Aldo, that one was because he had the belt and he wanted it, so his demeanor for that fight was about conquest.

Never forget his nuthuggers paid money to see him answer questions lol

If Conor sold his dirty underwear these man-girl groupies of his would buy it. LMAO

TBH I think Connor is at a point where he realizes he doesn't even need to hype up the public. He's talking like a man that is completely sure of his abilities and wants the display of said abilities to do the talking. If he wins this fight it will reinforce this mindset he's in and if that happens I think the best version of Connor is yet to come.

Yes people forget casuals make up most of the ppv buys. Trash talk sells but do you think Conor is hurting for dough.

Then his country men should become Canadian's if they're willing to abandoned McGregor due to him finally becoming a man.

Any insight as to why or do you just say negative things trying to sound cool?

Probably because Dana said it? Dana is selling the fight. Come up with a huge number and people will start talking about it, like we do.

Probably because Dana said it? Dana is selling the fight. Come up with a huge number and people will start talking about it, like we do.
Conor McGregor is headlining, perhaps you have heard of him?

No one has done as much media as he has done so I just think he wants to get over with.

No I don’t think so but interesting thought.

He’s a bonafide superstar at this point. He’ll easily crack one million pay per views for the rest of his career. I would imagine so, anyway.

He's fighting his chums he already beat.

Thing with McGregor is there is so much bad you can say about him he likes getting matched up with guys who won't say anything.

The UFC gets bigger every single PPV card, and those fans cross over to almost every Mcgregor event. Mcgregor will do big numbers probably over a mil cos the sport has grown and the fans or haters he’s garnered over the years will watch him.

just look at masvidal usman, they sold like a million or something and that’s because Mcgregor made the sport bigger and now there’s more fans that watch each card.
It’s the same reason no fighter will ever be bigger than the UFC. If a fighter comes along and has or builds a massive fanbase I.e. lesnar, Mcgregor, rousey, they also build the sport. If they were to leave all of those fans don’t just disappear too.

but he’s not gonna do Mcgregor khabib numbers this will do him no favours.

Dana said before that UFC 257 was trending at 1.5 million.

And considering the fact that McGregor Cerrone outsold the Mendes and Aldo fights (trash talking prime), I'd say it'll have little to no effect.
i dont think u can base things off just one fight. it takes time. the cerrone fight still had the mcgregor hype from his passed fights.

he will have to get back to that if he wants the high numbers. dont get me wrong, he will still get massive numbers, but he needs to get away from being the daddest fighter

No, he has reached mainstream. A Conor fight is an event for a lot of people who otherwise don't care for sports. The Floyd fight helped with this. His time in the game as well. Early in his career the trash talk made him popular. The results after the talk needed to be there as well. Otherwise he'd be Sonnen.

His numbers will decline if he's so active that it becomes like fast food. Few want to go on a vacation all the time.

It was the same with Mayweather back in the day: super brash when he was coming up, but then dialed it back when he reached the top. Once you are established in the public consciousness, you don't need to keep shouting. Whatever you do say will be magnified 100x by the attention you get because of your past antics.

And Conor is a ko artist. He's not selling a boring product.

Reactions: MCS
Back