If Cole Konrad didn't retire would he beat Cain Velasquez?

Da Bombers

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think if he continued with his training and kept improving as a fighter at a reasonable rate then he would be able to out wrestle Cain. The fight wouldn't be Alvarez vs chandler but he'd grind out a decision IMO.

I think if he continued with his training and kept improving as a fighter at a reasonable rate then he would be able to out wrestle Cain. The fight wouldn't be Alvarez vs chandler but he'd grind out a decision IMO.

Based on what? Beating cans in Bellator? You have no basis for this claim, you just hope that he would beat Cain.

And Cain would knock him out standing, after stuffing his takedowns.

I agree. I think Konrad neutralizes Cain and has a reach on him, better wrestling, bigger guy, and Conrad didn't look so bad on his feet and he actually had a decent camp too.

Maybe, but we'll never know. Cole didn't face nearly the competition that Cain has, so we don't have a real barrometer to use. Their wrestling records only paint a partial picture.

I tell you one thing for sure: Cain would not be bullying Cole against the cage like that...that's for sure.

Joe Rogan described Cain as a heavy wet blanket but Cole was known for being an even heavier wet blanket.

Cain would have him in the striking department though but Cole was always evolving so we'll never know. Cole would have been an extremely formidable opponent for Cain.

Based on what? Beating cans in Bellator? You have no basis for this claim, you just hope that he would beat Cain.

And Cain would knock him out standing, after stuffing his takedowns.

My basis is that Cains real strength is his wrestling and it sets everything else up. He's improved his striking, and has amazing cardio and is able to fight at a tremendous pace but all starts with his wrestling. Konrad would be able to take him down and control him on the ground. Cain would probably have to keep it on the fight or clinch him against the fence and grind him out that way but Cole would just keep taking him down. His striking wouldn't help him when he's laying flat on his back (just ask any gsp opponent not named Matt Serra) and his ability to push the pace would also be neutralized. It's a bad matchup for him and as far as "crushing cans in bellator goes", Cole has legit wrestling credentials.

Maybe, but we'll never know now. Thanks a lot Bellator!

Cole Konrad would have a fucking heart attack trying to keep up with Cain. So Cain would literally kill him.

Wow, it's aleady been over a year since he retired.

KonradVelasquez1.jpg

Everybody thought Konrad stunk before he retired undefeated.

My basis is that Cains real strength is his wrestling and it sets everything else up. He's improved his striking, and has amazing cardio and is able to fight at a tremendous pace but all starts with his wrestling. Konrad would be able to take him down and control him on the ground. Cain would probably have to keep it on the fight or clinch him against the fence and grind him out that way but Cole would just keep taking him down. His striking wouldn't help him when he's laying flat on his back (just ask any gsp opponent not named Matt Serra) and his ability to push the pace would also be neutralized. It's a bad matchup for him and as far as "crushing cans in bellator goes", Cole has legit wrestling credentials.

You are basing this on what exactly? They've never fought, and never will since Konrad retired, so we have no idea if Konrad could put Cain on his back. Watch I can do the same thing.

Cain has improved his striking, he could probably stuff all of Konrad's takedowns and knock him out standing with his superior hand speed/punching power. It all starts with wrestling you see, and Konrad has just never faced someone with Cain's wrestling credentials in an MMA match. Konrad's wrestling wouldn't help him when he's gassed out in the first round from Cain's superior cardio and pace, his ability to push the pace would be neutralized. We have no idea how Konrad's wrestling credentials will translate to an MMA match with Cain, because unfortunately he's never fought anyone in the top 20 at heavyweight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/2...-fight-career-no-regrets-for-retired-unbeaten

Lesnar, after all, makes for a pretty useful measuring stick when attempting to figure where exactly you fall in the divisional pecking order. A few fighters who trained at the DeathClutch gym with Lesnars and Konrad are on the record as saying that Konrad was the superior talent. One, UFC's Pat Barry, called him "Cain Velasquez at 300 pounds" and said that once Konrad gained complete confidence in his striking he would be the heavyweight champion of the world "in any organization."

Konrad also competed against many of the MMA world's best heavyweights during his wrestling days, including UFC champ Velasquez, who he beat in four of five matches. Because of all of those experiences, he feels that the questions he personally had have been answered.

You are basing this on what exactly? They've never fought, and never will since Konrad retired, so we have no idea if Konrad could put Cain on his back. Watch I can do the same thing.

Cain has improved his striking, he could probably stuff all of Konrad's takedowns and knock him out standing with his superior hand speed/punching power. It all starts with wrestling you see, and Konrad has just never faced someone with Cain's wrestling credentials in an MMA match. Konrad's wrestling wouldn't help him when he's gassed out in the first round from Cain's superior cardio and pace, his ability to push the pace would be neutralized. We have no idea how Konrad's wrestling credentials will translate to an MMA match with Cain, because unfortunately he's never fought anyone in the top 20 at heavyweight.

Take off the zuffa goggles bro and check out that article I just posted. He already beat Cain 4 out of 5 times in amateur wrestling and pat Barry said he's basically a 300 lb Cain. He can't push the pace like that when he's flat on his back in guard and Cole isn't gassing after the first round.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/2...-fight-career-no-regrets-for-retired-unbeaten

Lesnar, after all, makes for a pretty useful measuring stick when attempting to figure where exactly you fall in the divisional pecking order. A few fighters who trained at the DeathClutch gym with Lesnars and Konrad are on the record as saying that Konrad was the superior talent. One, UFC's Pat Barry, called him "Cain Velasquez at 300 pounds" and said that once Konrad gained complete confidence in his striking he would be the heavyweight champion of the world "in any organization."

Konrad also competed against many of the MMA world's best heavyweights during his wrestling days, including UFC champ Velasquez, who he beat in four of five matches.

Who the fuck cares about wrestling matches? If people could use submissions, kick, punch, and elbow in a wrestling match, it would completely change the results of all these matches. A great example of this stupidity is Matt Riddle beating Jon Jones in a wrestling match. Could Riddle put Jones on his back?

Anyways, Lesnar got his ass whooped by Cain, so I guess the claim you're making is:

Cain > Konrad > Lesnar

Because of all of those experiences, he feels that the questions he personally had have been answered.

I hope so, I would hate for him to assume that defeating some bums makes him better than the current UFC champion who has more title defenses.

Take off the zuffa goggles bro and check out that article I just posted. He already beat Cain 4 out of 5 times in amateur wrestling and pat Barry said he's basically a 300 lb Cain. He can't push the pace like that when he's flat on his back in guard and Cole isn't gassing after the first round.

Yeah Konrad has to put Cain on his back first, and its hard to do that when you're getting punched in the face and gassing out from a guy with good footwork like Cain. This fight would probably last 90 seconds.

Who the fuck cares about wrestling matches? If people could use submissions, kick, punch, and elbow in a wrestling match, it would completely change the results of all these matches. A great example of this stupidity is Matt Riddle beating Jon Jones in a wrestling match. Could Riddle put Jones on his back?

Anyways, Lesnar got his ass whooped by Cain, so I guess the claim you're making is:

Cain > Konrad > Lesnar

I hope so, I would hate for him to assume that defeating some bums makes him better than the current UFC champion who has more title defenses.

I'm more of a style vs style guy than a 3 way mma math formula kind of guy and I'll take a bigger better wrestler over a smaller excellent but not as good wrestler. I don't see Cain subbing cole from his back and his strikes won't mean much from there either. If you want to see some bellator bums vs legit UFC guys you might want to check out mike ricci vs pat curran (I know they cut ricci but before that he was the real deal according to the zuffa zombies), tiger sarnavskiy vs Marcus Davis, and king mo vs Gerard mousasi to start. I'll post some more tomorrow if you didn't get your fill from those.

Yeah Konrad has to put Cain on his back first, and its hard to do that when you're getting punched in the face and gassing out from a guy with good footwork like Cain. This fight would probably last 90 seconds.

Cain probably wouldn't stay on his feet for more than 90 seconds lol. Any news on Dana having the balls to sign Ben askren? What's a matter, he scared Bens gonna rag doll gsp?

Back