If CM punk had more MMA experience/skill would he be better utilizing his great mic skills?

IamStryker

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So far his interviews have been very typical of any new MMA fighter, and that does make sense given that he has never fought in MMA before. I have to wonder if he would be giving more Chael/Conor type interviews if he had a lot of confidence in his abilities. He has had more time talking on a mic than pretty much everyone in MMA. If he stays around for awhile I would be surprised if he never uses this to his advantage and just talks like any other average joe.

I think he had the ability but since he's never fought it's hard to brag when you don't know if you can back it up. I think if he even comes away with one win he will start turning it up but at this point he's unproven and he even realizes it

Well yeah a fighter with no fights is.........just like us lol.

I don't like WWE style speaking, so I'm glad he's not doing it. It seems like he's on a personal mission to challenge himself with mma. If he was in it for the money, maybe he'd be doing his WWE style talk.

I don't like WWE style speaking, so I'm glad he's not doing it. It seems like he's on a personal mission to challenge himself with mma. If he was in it for the money, maybe he'd be doing his WWE style talk.

I can agree with this of course. It's just a little surprising since we all know how much more attention you get for having good speaking skills and CM seems to have no interest with it right now.

I always thought he was overrated on the mic in pro wrestling. He does a couple shoot interviews and people act like he's Ric Flair or Dusty Rhodes on the mic. His mic work can't even hold a candle to guys like Jericho, DDP and the Raven, let alone the all time greats.

I would assume that the WWE has a team of professional writers that write everything CM Punk says while he's in character so he probably doesn't have "mic skills" like you are thinking. Delivering lines and being quick witted are different things

I would assume that the WWE has a team of professional writers that write everything CM Punk says while he's in character so he probably doesn't have "mic skills" like you are thinking. Delivering lines and being quick witted are different things

I get your argument but I wouldn't be quick to make that assumption. Maybe a big wrestling fan can clarify this for us because I bet there isn't as much professional writing as you would think.

I get your argument but I wouldn't be quick to make that assumption. Maybe a big wrestling fan can clarify this for us because I bet there isn't as much professional writing as you would think.
Did a quick bit of research and these guys are paid to be big and entertaining wrestlers and read lines... they definitely don't write anything. there's a whole team of writers who script it out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_personnel#Creative_writers

main-qimg-7579b196d5930208d1e4a8c552b1569a

This really doesn't clarify how much is written/memorized/cue cards and how much isn't.
what do you mean? they have entire scripts written by creative professionals and they just memorize them. it's like a broadway play but with more steroids.
script2_zpsec2daa04.png

If he beats Raekwon in a freestyle then yeah

Otherwise, no

Clearly you guys are unaware about what a "shoot" interview is. It's when it's unscripted. Punk did a big shoot where he said a bunch of bad things about the WWE when he was still currently working for them. Many fans use that in an attempt to legitimize his mic skills while I argue just the opposite. Anyone can say controversial stuff about your boss and the top brass at the company you work for, it doesn't mean you have any mic skills.

I bet there isn't as much professional writing as you would think.
It completely depends on what promotion, during what time period you're talking about. ECW pretty much always gave their wrestlers free reign on the mic, most indie promotions still do. The WWE now is completely opposite, everything is very strictly scripted.

CM Punk could absolutely bury anyone on a mic. Problem is unlike his previous career is that it eventually comes down to a real fight and in that circumstance he will likely be left looking like a fool. If he was top level in the cage I think he would be very entertaining.

what do you mean? they have entire scripts written by creative professionals and they just memorize them. it's like a broadway play but with more steroids.
script2_zpsec2daa04.png

I'm not surprised. I always mocked WWE as being a male play or male soap opera. Sometimes when its really bad I wondered if they were just talking off the top of their heads but maybe not.

Clearly you guys are unaware about what a "shoot" interview is. It's when it's unscripted. Punk did a big shoot where he said a bunch of bad things about the WWE when he was still currently working for them. Many fans use that in an attempt to legitimize his mic skills while I argue just the opposite. Anyone can say controversial stuff about your boss and the top brass at the company you work for, it doesn't mean you have any mic skills.

I thought that is what "shoot" meant, thanks for clarifying. How do fans know if they are doing a shoot or not? Guessing?

So far his interviews have been very typical of any new MMA fighter, and that does make sense given that he has never fought in MMA before. I have to wonder if he would be giving more Chael/Conor type interviews if he had a lot of confidence in his abilities. He has had more time talking on a mic than pretty much everyone in MMA. If he stays around for awhile I would be surprised if he never uses this to his advantage and just talks like any other average joe.

Can't talk shit when you have zero confidence of backing it up. The rumor around is he's gone 0-20 in smoker fights in Duke Nukem's gym. The longer he waits the more scared he gets. He wants to talk shit A HUNDRED percent but sees how Ronda gets ripped to shreds and traumatized for life after talking shit and getting rekt and knows it could very likely happen to him. The more he delays his fight the more scared he gets. At this rate he'll just secretly quit MMA like he quit college.

Back