If CM Punk fights, does it lower the legitimacy of the UFC

The UFC has made a lot of decisions that illegitimize the sport but putting an actor in the Octagon with a year of training is probably the worst of it.

The UFC has made a lot of decisions that illegitimize the sport but putting an actor in the Octagon with a year of training is probably the worst of it.

The world's still gonna spin

I don't get what the problem is? If Punk doesn't have what it takes, he's gonna get destroyed, simple as that. Despite all of his notoriety and exposure, none of that can help him once the cage for shuts.

The only legitimacy mma needs is the authenticity of the combat, so unless you question that, the legitimacy issue is silly

Bam. Winner.

So you think they signed him just for shits and giggles with the intention of him not fighting?

Yes it does. And I say that as someone who really likes CM Punk as a pro wrestler. The UFC in theory is the best MMA organization in the world with the best legitimate MMA competitors. CM Punk going straight in and competing undermines this.

We all know the reasons he has been signed and it has nothing to do with him being even a top 100 fighter. That combined with his background in pro wrestling puts doubt in peoples minds about the UFC as a real and the best.

I also have serious concerns about his well being. He is 37 with many miles on the body and who knows how much accumulated brain damage. He's never competed at a significant level in any combat sport. Even if they get him a good can to crush I would be worried about him being hurt in a way that everyone will regret.

I also have serious concerns about his well being. He is 37 with many miles on the body and who knows how much accumulated brain damage. He's never competed at a significant level in any combat sport. Even if they get him a good can to crush I would be worried about him being hurt in a way that everyone will regret.

That being said, I will definitely watch.

Well it certainly does not help a sport still looking for legitimization.
But I am not too worried, I just do not plan on watching.

The Ufc seem to being trying to fill a niche between entertainment and a legit sport, he may very well fall into that niche nicely.

Last edited:
It depends on the narrative. If he gets destroyed and Rogan goes on a rant about needing to be truly elite to compete in the UFC and you just can't be a celebrity, it helps the UFC.

If he wins, you simply say he trained hard and accomplished his dream and try to give hope to people that want to break into MMA.

UFC is smart enough to not make themselves look bad here. Win or lose, UFC wins.

I tend to agree. Big pro wrestling star has a life goal of proving himself in an actual fight seems to make MMA look good in comparison to pro wrestling. What would hurt the UFC is if Punk's fight looks like a work or a total gimme fight.

I don't get what the problem is? If Punk doesn't have what it takes, he's gonna get destroyed, simple as that. Despite all of his notoriety and exposure, none of that can help him once the cage for shuts.

The only legitimacy mma needs is the authenticity of the combat, so unless you question that, the legitimacy issue is silly

Great post.

Yes it does. And I say that as someone who really likes CM Punk as a pro wrestler. The UFC in theory is the best MMA organization in the world with the best legitimate MMA competitors. CM Punk going straight in and competing undermines this.

Did you know that Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, Dan Severn and a whole host of others were 0-0 when they made their UFC debut?

I mean I don't see why it would. He didn't just get thrown in there straight from the WWE, he's training at a highly acclaimed gym to prepare for a fight. If he's training and makes it to the fight, whether he wins or loses, I don't think it lowers anything.

Nah.. the legitimacy was lost when they announced big CM PUNK (0-0) as a great addition to their roster.
And when you look at the recent history of shady fights, I can assure u 100% CM Punk will win his first bout.
UFC is a mother to their cash cows.

Well it certainly does not help a sport still looking for legitimization.
But I am not too worried, I just do not plan on watching.

The Ufc seem to being trying to fill a niche between entertainment and a legit sport, he may very well fall into that niche nicely.

The sport is not still looking for legitimacy, it has crossed that road a long time ago. It's gone from barely legal to network tv and ESPN highlights.

The thing is combat sports has always been a fight selling business and as long as you believe the combat is real, there is nothing to worry about

Back