If CM Punk fights, does it lower the legitimacy of the UFC

Why would it?

lol at all the haters trashing Punk. Cannot wait for the day "the Best in the World" prove how good he really is to the UFC fans.

Everyone should be allowed to compete.

Should I be allowed? I've wrestled and understand basic BJJ principles. I am strong and have good cardio. Am I UFC material?

Fuck no. I'm garbage compared to those guys. Everyone doesn't get a spot just because.

The argument here isn't "everyone" its "celebrity with some decent physical traits, and a fan base."

Why would it?

Because that's how sports work. Do you think Tom Cruise should be allowed to just become starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys? How about we let Kim Kardashian challenge Ronda for the title? Maybe Howard Stern can fight because he is good on the mic?

Why not? If being famous is a legit reason to be allowed to compete...

No more or less than what the UFC currently enjoys.

Personally I was a lot less annoyed by Brock getting a shot. Yes, he was a huge star in the WWE. However, he was clearly an athletic freak and he had a legit background in D1 wrestling. He also did his first fights outside of the UFC so you couldn't say that he had zero MMA experience.

I would have been much less annoyed if CM Punk had gone the Bobby Lashley route and done some amateur and a pro fight or two first. And that's with Lashley also having a legitimate NAIA wrestling background and multiple NAIA championships under his belt. It certainly doesn't help that CM Punk has no wrestling or serious TMA background.

You basically know that CM Punk is 100% getting a shot off his fame, whereas you could at least make a somewhat thin justification for Brock and Lashley.

Even the pro wrestlers who went into Pride actually had catch wrestling or TMA back grounds. That and Pride wasn't exactly a paragon of virtue when it came to avoiding circuses.

However, the fight game has no shortage of freak show fights and attention grabs over the years, so I suppose it is what it is.

I'm sure they'll grab some new fighter off the amateur circuit or a newly turned pro for his first fight. I just can't see an AC sanctioning a match between him and a real UFC caliber fighter.

Not a big deal either way. It's like a pro team bringing someone in for an audition. Sure nepotism and his celebrity status got him his shot but he has been training legit. If he fucked off the training and they still let him fight it would be different.

No.
He's going to be Brock Lesnar 2.0

nevermind CM Punk, i hear they also have some Phil Brooks guy that's never even been in a mma fight. i mean wtf.

I am sick of all the hypocrites on here. you all would love this if this was in Japan.pride never die!

Should I be allowed? I've wrestled and understand basic BJJ principles. I am strong and have good cardio. Am I UFC material?

Fuck no. I'm garbage compared to those guys. Everyone doesn't get a spot just because.

The argument here isn't "everyone" its "celebrity with some decent physical traits, and a fan base."

You should at least get a chance. I get what you are saying. The UFC has traditionally been a proving ground for only exceptionally talented MMA fighters. CM Punk hasn't proven he belongs. I'm just saying that he should be allowed a chance in the sport of MMA itself. Obviously he hasn't earned the right to be on a main fight card.

lol Naturally. I remember how Herschel Walker caused the utter collapse of SF, and how Bobby Lashley has been raining doom down upon Bellator since 2014.

Now if/when CM fights, the end of all combat sports will be nigh.

lol how did Herschel Walker cause the collapse of SF again and how is Bobbly Lashley "raining doom" on Bellator? lol

I don't get what the problem is? If Punk doesn't have what it takes, he's gonna get destroyed, simple as that. Despite all of his notoriety and exposure, none of that can help him once the cage for shuts.

The only legitimacy mma needs is the authenticity of the combat, so unless you question that, the legitimacy issue is silly

I see no problem in letting him fight. He has been training hard and dedicated to this so let him fight. Most of us would love to be in his position with the UFC.

Back