If CM Punk fights, does it lower the legitimacy of the UFC

Giving title shots to people that lost their last fight makes the UFC lose legitimacy IMHO. I don't care if Gus is more "marketable"....Bader should be fighting for the belt. Also, Chael and Diaz didn't deserve title shots either. Bader being passed over for Gus makes absolutely no sense to me. He had heat with Cormier...and if by some odd event actually managed to upset Cormier....then who wouldn't want to see him fight whoever was next?

It depends on the narrative. If he gets destroyed and Rogan goes on a rant about needing to be truly elite to compete in the UFC and you just can't be a celebrity, it helps the UFC.

If he wins, you simply say he trained hard and accomplished his dream and try to give hope to people that want to break into MMA.

UFC is smart enough to not make themselves look bad here. Win or lose, UFC wins.

1397.gif

Brock Lesnar was a WWE Superstar who was gifted a title shot after going 1-1 in the cage. What legitimacy? James Toney, Kimbo, etc. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Ufc is more about entertainment and making money than being an actual sport.

Giving title shots to people that lost their last fight makes the UFC lose legitimacy IMHO. I don't care if Gus is more "marketable"....Bader should be fighting for the belt. Also, Chael and Diaz didn't deserve title shots either. Bader being passed over for Gus makes absolutely no sense to me. He had heat with Cormier...and if by some odd event actually managed to upset Cormier....then who wouldn't want to see him fight whoever was next?

I agree to a point. Bader has been pretty underwhelming for awhile now while Gus just looks exciting as fuck when he fights. It is at the end of the day a business. I've had problems taking Bader seriously since he lost to Tito.

[YT]21VmymrQNS4[/YT]

Lol at ufc and legitimacy...

ufc is a joke org for a while now
what legitimacy?

I never really got all the hate. All fighters started from zero, So is CM. He wants to try fighting just like anyone else. That said, I would have started with a smaller promotion but fact is hes a known name & that means money

Most of them had striking or grappling background before making UFC debut or had to join TUF. CM Punk has none

I never really got all the hate. All fighters started from zero, So is CM. He wants to try fighting just like anyone else. That said, I would have started with a smaller promotion but fact is hes a known name & that means money

How do you not understand the hate? You were able to explain the issue perfectly. CM is starting his career from zero in the largest mma organization without any fights. How often do you see someone famous do that in any other legitimate sport. That is what people are mad about in this thread.

Of course it does. But, ya know, whatever.

It depends on the narrative. If he gets destroyed and Rogan goes on a rant about needing to be truly elite to compete in the UFC and you just can't be a celebrity, it helps the UFC.

If he wins, you simply say he trained hard and accomplished his dream and try to give hope to people that want to break into MMA.

UFC is smart enough to not make themselves look bad here. Win or lose, UFC wins.

Exactly right, it's a win win for the UFC

I know this is an old topic, but... seriously?

They have a 135lb female running around like she is Mohammed Ali all the while beating bums in the weakest division in the history of all combat sports.

So no.

If Ronda has a lane then so does CM Punk.

If an untrained, unproven WWE name immediately jumps into the best org on the planet falls in the woods, does he make a sound?

Anyone take the UFC seriously after this?Of all the bad moves, this was the worst. I know fighters wo deserve a shot but it is a promotion company, not a state commission.

I want midget divisions, giant divisions and weapons fighting next.

to me brooks is more a PR guy working in the marketing department of the ufc

Everyone should be allowed to compete. CM Punk's fights will be as legitimate as anyone else. His professional wrestling background is irrelevant.

Yes.

However they've been doing that for the past year or so. The UFC used to be the place for the best in the world. Since the expansion, we're seeing more and more fights were its like Fighter A (1-1) vs Fighter B (1-2). It truly no longer means you're top level talent to be there. You can be relatively green and make the prelims. Of you can be a tv star and get in on it.

I don't expect it to be a frequent thing, and don't worry about it. Just saying, the UFC does bring in nobodies, and now tv stars.

But nobody will care in the grand scheme of things. It really doesn't matter either way.

Last edited:
Back