If Cerrone wins tonight, what are the odds he can beat Pettis.

As much as the UFC likes to preserve title challengers, you gotta make Cowboy-Khabib. If for no other reason, cowboy won't sit on the shelf anyway, and outside of Cerrone or Pettis, not sure who would even be an entertaining fight for Khabib (sorry, Norman).

Should he beat Bendo, the only other logical match, asides Khabib, would be a revenge match against RDA, and Dos Anjos is fighting for the title.

Should Dos Anjos beat Pettis, then there's your angle: revenge for the loss.

Neither Pettis or RDA fight nearly close to Cowboy's schedule. He would probably want another one after the Khabib fight.

Nate Diaz?

If cerrone went the grappling route in a pettis rematch, id see a lot of competitive back and forth scrambles with both guys having a small chance of getting the submission. Still a lot of the fight would be spent on the feet with pettis most likely doing more damage.

Bad match up for cerrone. But it wouldn't be as one sided and quick as the first fight.

Pettis has the speed edge on the feet and on the ground. He is the favorite, but Cerrone could still win for sure. Cerrone can beat anyone in the weight class on the right night.

That would be a hard fight for me to watch I like both guys and think it would be a great fight. Cowboy I know will just bring it but Petitis got that polish & shine and sleek movement I would say Petitis in a split decision and call for instant re-match.

Should he beat Bendo, the only other logical match, asides Khabib, would be a revenge match against RDA, and Dos Anjos is fighting for the title.

Neither Pettis or RDA fight nearly close to Cowboy's schedule. He would probably want another one after the Khabib fight.

Nate Diaz?

Even as Diaz fan and recognizing there's a good chance he gives this one back to Cowboy... Hell. Yes. One of those matchups you know is going to be fun every time.

Nate Diaz?

I like this, avenge every single loss.

Absolute target practice for Pettis. People need to realize that Pettis is a special athlete and fighter while Cerrone is a very good fighter and the VAST difference in their respective skill and athleticism would be on display AGAIN. And anyone who can finish Benson, and Melendez in a combined less than three rounds is NOT overrated.

Yeah. Avenge every single loss and it's perfect.

It would be like GSP.

He reminds me of a younger Georges who was just tearing through the competition to get at the gold.

Meh, 1% chance of a lucky head kick KO maybe. Styles make fights and that's a style he can't win against.

As much as I like Cerrone, if you look at all of his strengths, Pettis is better than him in all of those areas.

How many rematches have we seen go down differently than the original fight?

Almost all of them.

And truth be told, yes, Showtime hit the sub on Melendez which is an unmatched feat. Before that? He didn't look impressive at all.

Last edited:
Pettis is fragile. Cerrone needs to take it to him and force Pettis's fragile body to break first.

If he wins, not Diaz please. Way to early to rematch after Nate's recent form. He doesn't deserve it. Cowboy has the chance to rest a bit and prepare for the TS if he beats bendo.

Khabib, only if he asks for it

Again, all I see is am almost unanimous assumption of Pettis winning

No RDA fans around?

I love cowboy now as much as the next, the dudes an animal.

He is clearly a shogun type fighter in his latter years a gatekeeper.

RDA, Pettis, Benson and Khabib all beat Cerrone comfartably.
Benson is the only one that Cowboy has any realistic chance of beating.

Pettis is mad over rated at the moment.

Yep, he's great, and perhaps even the best in the division, but he is overrated, a lot of fighters are really close.

Cerrone is tough, i'm feeling... 37% chance of beating Pettis, he seems to be focused.

I didn't really answer the question. yes it's 50/50 cowboy can beat Pettis. Tough fight to call

He may possibly fight Pettis next if he loses to bendo

As much as I like Cerrone, if you look at all of his strengths, Pettis is better than him in all of those areas.

Pettis is very good on the mat, but Cowboy is better.

Otherwise, yeah, Pettis is just one of those "next level" strikers.

Given that Cowboy isn't elite with his takedowns and Pettis uses distance so well, it's hard to see Cowboy even getting the fight to the mat.

I think Cowboy would look much better in a rematch, but can't see him beating Showtime.

I love cowboy now as much as the next, the dudes an animal.

He is clearly a shogun type fighter in his latter years a gatekeeper.

RDA, Pettis, Benson and Khabib all beat Cerrone comfartably.
Benson is the only one that Cowboy has any realistic chance of beating.

You are SERIOUSLY underrating Cowboy's guard if you think Khabib just holds him down like he did RDA. Styles make fights, and Cowboy's guard is way more dangerous and aggressive than RDA's (even though RDA has terrific bjj, for MMA purposes Cowboy's is better).

Khabib would find that being in Cowboy's guard is the farthest thing from fun. Could Khabib grind out a victory? Sure. Could he alse get subbed or swept into a horrible spot? Yep.

No way is Cowboy some walkover fight for Khabib, no way.

Back