If Ben Rothwell fights Cro Cop within the near future...

Rothwell has been a beast lately. A lot of people don't give him enough respect as a fighter.

I do. I'm probably the only person here who actually likes Ben Rothwell. Mad respect for a legend like Mirko, but Big Ben scores the TKO rather easily at this point.

Big Ben will KO Cro Cop if they make this fight.

Actually its quite absurd to even suggest GSPs pure wrestling was on the level of an NCAA Champ. He used strikes and footwork to set up his TDs, wont even get into the intricacies of Folk/Freestyle wrestling, but in a straight wrestling match (where a wrestler doesnt have to worry about strikes, submissions, or giving up position) its a whole different ball game.

GSP also outgrappled many legit Black Belts in MMA, does that put him on par with an ADCC/Mundials champ?

If you say yes please go look at his ADCC record.

Yeah, good points, but that's why I said it was his training, not his in cage exploits that would've had him at that skill level if he ever was, didn't say he for sure was because I don't know the fella, but if anybody in MMA without a wrestling base was ever going to reach NCAA level, I would bet on GSP. The guy is so driven it's almost nuts. I would never say he for sure was, and you're probably right that he was never at that level, certainly not champ; & yeah, I know how wrestling is, he probably never trained what doesn't necessarily cross over all too well.

I know the younger Gracies apparently love to go on about GSP's jitz, but I honestly have always expected more from him there. I'm thinking these thoughts are about the only time Joe Rogan has got to me, lol. I guess you can't blame me when it's one of the ATGs.

If Rothwell fought Cro Cop at this point in thier careers, he would be the favorite...and rightly so!

As for your question...no way!

It's a fight, you're gonna get hit! Take any great from any combat sport, be it MMA, kickboxing, or boxing, and look at their fights against their weakest opponents, most likely, said opponents, landed something or another! Very rarely is it ever a complete shut out!

The thing with Rothwell though is that he packs a lot of power in his punches...all he needs is one.

Even though I don't think he has K-1 level striking, but because of his power, I do think he would have had some success in K-1. But if he doesn't get the ko, he would be in for a long (or short) night! Much like Kharitonov against Ghita...got picked apart and almost had his legs broken in half! I think most would agree with me that Kharitonov is a better "striker" than Rothwell.

Back