If Anderson Silva loses to Israel Adesanya, does that affect his GOAT legacy?

Of course it doesn’t. Anderson Silva used to have one of if not THE best chin in mma. Suddenly he was knocked out by some medio wrestler, And struggle with everyone. Anderson Silva is done many years ago. Nothing he does will hurt his legacy. He is still no 2 goat.

he popped multiple times, that automatically disqualifies him as goat of anything.
As far as BJ is concerned anyone who claims to the death before a fight starts and doesnt answer the bell at the end of a round is a wuss. thats' like that tony bonello guy yelling at ninja before the fight acting hard af and getting his face caved in.

Of course not. Unless you are BJ penn... he just seemed like he had it ease fighting the like of Matt Hugues

I give him credit for being 43 years old and still taking on these big challenges

Win or lose he's still up there

I mean /thread right?

He's over 40.

When you are a fighter and you are 40, you could've started fighting and training at 30 and yet you still should have seriously already been thinking about retiring for at least half a decade.

He can lose a fight to Brawldinado (not shitting on him, btw) and it won't be a stain on his legacy...just a mandatory call for retirement that will ultimately still be his decision to go along with or pass on by.

Believe it or not, in reality: the last fight of his that occurred in his prime was his first fight against Chael Sonnen. Even then, that might've actually been his first fight he had out of his prime.

Last edited:
He's on the decline and nearing the end of his legendary career. IMO nothing that happens now really impacts his legacy. Look at Chuck. KO'd by Tito, but nobody thinks Tito is/was the better fighter. Chuck is just a fragile shell of his former self with nothing left in the tank. Anderson isn't nearly that bad, but he's past his prime for sure.

If Anderson Silva loses to Israel Adesanya, does that do anything to his legacy as one of the GOATs?
Would he move down in your GOAT rankings? Or the result of this fight wouldn't matter?

No ... he is 43 years old in an age where TRT is banned and PED testing is extremely high.

He should lose ... if he wins though ... wow ... that would be crazy.

I mean /thread right?

He's over 40.

When you are a fighter and you are 40, you could've started fighting and training at 30 and yet you still should have seriously already been thinking about retiring for at least half a decade.

He can lose a fight to Brawldinado (not shitting on him, btw) and it won't be a stain on his legacy...just a mandatory call for retirement that will ultimately still be his decision to go along with or pass on by.

Believe it or not, in reality: the last fight of his that occurred in his prime was his first fight against Chael Sonnen. Even then, that might've actually been his first fight he had out of his prime.

People forget that Anderson was actually getting caught by Stephen Bonnar's punches. He was pass his prime for awhile already ... just still pretty damn good of course.

People forget that Anderson was actually getting caught by Stephen Bonnar's punches. He was pass him prime for awhile already ... just still pretty damn good of course.

Yeah, when the skill level is as high as Anderson, you'll always be able to impress: but you should hang them up by 40 at the very least...yet you won't upset the fans picking up wins along the way out, even if the exit takes too long.

If Anderson Silva loses to Israel Adesanya, does that do anything to his legacy as one of the GOATs?
Would he move down in your GOAT rankings? Or the result of this fight wouldn't matter?
It shouldn't matter , he is way past his prime and very old now

But many will hold it against him

No, GOAT status is defined by an athlete's best run, not by their entire career.

Otherwise you end up "rewarding" fighters who play safe at the start and end of their career, and greatness has nothing to do with safeness.

This is one of the dumbest prevalent notions on Sherdog. How the fuck does someone's entire career not define their GOAT status, but only a certain portion does? EVERY fight is an opportunity to advance or lessen your status. The best run is simply the best portion of your career and can provide the bulk of your argument for GOAT status, but it's definitely your entire career that matters. You deride the notion that supposed cherry picking shouldn't be rewarded to avoid losses, when the inverse that you're not winning doesn't equally affect someone's status? That's ridiculous. Of course accumulating losses is bad.

You're not competing against yourself, you're competing against your peers. If they're out there winning fights and you're losing, then they're advancing their career while you're not. The inverse is also true. Every fight matters.

And if you grew up following MMA you wouldnt make a shitty comment about bj penn

The only superfight gsp accepted because hes a smaller guy.. Yes because hes smaller gsp faught him.

Sorry, but did you grow up following MMA? Because GSP and BJ had already fought to a very close fight only 3 years earlier and so GSP knew there was a very good chance he could lose as he already knew he'd previously struggled with Penn.

Penn II was really GSP's breakout performance, precisely as it showed how much he'd improved. Penn was looking like a monster (and continued afterwards) and GSP still tore right through him.

Lol no. The dude is nearly 44 years old, he's 7-8 years past his prime, at least.

Or course not he's getting up there in age. If he even has any moments or puts up a fight/ hurts israel at all it would be a win win imo

Nah. He's already old. This is a weird fight for Israel. If he wins, big deal. If he loses, it's embarrassing. This fight really doesn't move either fighter up the rankings IMO.

Silva is so afraid to lose he had to roids for most of his career. à

Let that sink in, kid.
LOL, kid. Don't be bitter.
I said nothing that is not true.
GSP is afraid of losing, and he said it so himself.
he minds his record more than he takes chances.

I am not saying this is right or wrong (to each it's own), but it is fairly obvious you are ashamed of it...

LOL, kid. Don't be bitter.
I said nothing that is not true.
GSP is afraid of losing, and he said it so himself.
he minds his record more than he takes chances.

I am not saying this is right or wrong (to each it's own), but it is fairly obvious you are ashamed of it...

Silva was very afraid of losing when he was the champ.

Thjats why he tried to dodge Weidman for the first fight (most blatant and pathetic duck in history), the chael rematch and thats why he cherry picked bums to fight when he "challenged" himself at LHW.

Don't kid yourself, kid.

Silva was very afraid of losing when he was the champ.

Thjats why he tried to dodge Weidman for the first fight (most blatant and pathetic duck in history), the chael rematch and thats why he cherry picked bums to fight when he "challenged" himself at LHW.

Don't kid yourself, kid.
I love when you desperately change the subject.
It just blatantly shows you don't have any way to respond to what I said.
It basically confirms what I said to be right.

Keep trying, kid.
You always lose.

Last edited:
Taking the fight at 43, almost 44 is crazy. I think its ill-advised but imo, it only makes him even more GOAT-y. He's obviously past his prime. I mean he's slower, damaged, less confidence in his strikes, timing diminished, and his chin isn't as good. Taking the fight now doesn't reflect how good he WAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back