If Alexander Karelin entered UFC 1

Two solutions. 1 slam ko or a throw with gracie outside the ocatgon.

It's funny however that Kimo came closer to beating Royce than Severn did when the latter is a way better wrestler, he probably paid the price of behaving too much like he was in a wrestling match and not thinking about ground and pound enough while Kimo wild aggression was more unpredictable.
I'm not sure how much difference ground and pound by Severn would have made. He was notoriously weak at finishing people even when he was in an advantageous position (when there was concern about Severn having a heart attack in 1996, Ken Shamrock's camp joked about Dan being "unable to finish a heart attack" after he was all-clear). It is borderline amazing how Dan could ride Tank Abbott for 18 minutes while elbowing his brains in 100+ times without being able to finish the fight.

The first UFCs were basically Gracie grandstands; it was their show and they were selective with who they invited. So they weren't calling guys who already had a lot of prior MMA experience like Paulson or Gokor, never mind world class athletes like Karelin.
I think Mark Schultz would have won it. Which is why he didnt get the call

Honestly I think the biggest threat to him would've been Ken Shamrock. Shamrock was somewhat adept at submission grappling at that time and was pretty strong also. Karelin would have thrown him to the ground of course, but Ken might be able to snatch a leg or arm, or maybe even a choke if could've gotten his back.

With that being said: To me it would be probably a 95% chance he destroyed everyone.

While the legend is that Karelin entered and won a sambo tournament while he was in the military, we shouldn't assume he had any experience at all with submissions or striking. Especially back then, it is totally feasible to think that an athlete the caliber of Alexander Karelin could have won such a tournament strictly on his wrestling skill and by being a beast of a man. I mean, how deep do you think the Russian military Nationals were in Sambo back in the 80s? I don't think there were too many guys that had the type of submission skill to stop a dude like Karelin from ragdolling him and racking up the points. Also don't they have pins in Sambo?

Let's ask a different question.

What if FEDOR had entered UFC 1. Could he have handled Royce's guard? Kenny wasn't chinny Kenny yet, could he have KOd Fedor? What about Pat Smith? Might his intensity have been a bit much for Fedor?

What if FEDOR had entered UFC 1. Could he have handled Royce's guard? Kenny wasn't chinny Kenny yet, could he have KOd Fedor? What about Pat Smith? Might his intensity have been a bit much for Fedor?

1993 Fedor would have been 17 yo and years away from distinguishing himself as a fighter. He was training Judo and Sambo but still in trade school and heading into compulsory military service as a firefighter before 3 years on the Russian national team starting in 1997. His first MMA fight was in 2000.

17 yo, pure Judo/Sambo version of Fedor? I think he handles Ken (Sambo has leglocks) but possibly gets roughed up doing so. He takes down and murks Smith. Royce would be a tough match up because he trained specifically for MMA. I think Royce takes this via triangle armbar from guard.

Last edited:
Karelin trained in sambo too he was no noob to subs or striking he could have kept the fight standing and beat the crap out of Royce on the feet.

I'm guessing he trained in regular Sambo, not combat sambo (the one that has striking in it).

Either way, more than sufficient experience to just ragdoll Royce.

By that point, BJJ was extremely limited compared to what it is now.

I'm guessing he trained in regular Sambo, not combat sambo (the one that has striking in it).

Either way, more than sufficient experience to just ragdoll Royce.

By that point, BJJ was extremely limited compared to what it is now.
Even if he threw punches from a greco clinch standing against the cage he would have folded royce he would not be able to stop them

Last edited:
1993 Fedor would have been 17 yo and years away from distinguishing himself as a fighter. He was training Judo and Sambo but still in trade school and heading into compulsory military service as a firefighter before 3 years on the Russian national team starting in 1997. His first MMA fight was in 2000.

17 yo, pure Judo/Sambo version of Fedor? I think he handles Ken (Sambo has leglocks) but possibly gets roughed up doing so. He takes down and murks Smith. Royce would be a tough match up because he trained specifically for MMA. I think Royce takes this via triangle armbar from guard.

I'm not talking about 1993 Fedor. We're putting 2005 Fedor in the hot tub time machine. What happens THEN?

I'm not talking about 1993 Fedor. We're putting 2005 Fedor in the hot tub time machine. What happens THEN?

Fedor by dongbar. That's fuckin' illegal.

VbPMkm.gif

Joe Son is 0-4 in MMA, 1-0 in murdering his prison cellmate. Hackney got him ready for prison.

Found this vid of the police questioning him for the rape. 1:25 he's like "wrong guy" but then starts scratching his face nervously. What a shit human being.

Found this vid of the police questioning him for the rape. 1:25 he's like "wrong guy" but then starts scratching his face nervously. What a shit human being.

They should make him be cellies with War Machine. He makes War Machine look like a sweetheart. He shoved a gun up that girl's vagina. That would be an executable offense in a sane society, but we are a very, very ill society.

They should make him be cellies with War Machine. He makes War Machine look like a sweetheart. He shoved a gun up that girl's vagina. That would be an executable offense in a sane society, but we are a very, very ill society.

Yeesh. Yeah he and War Machine should do society a favor and off each other in prison. It's telling they couldn't even prosecute Joe Son for rape (despite DNA evidence) because statute of limitations had expired, so his original conviction was solely on a charge of torture.

Last edited:

Fedor was defeated by lhw Arona in his prime and after by mw Hendo...

Neither of those things happened though, shitty troll.

Fedor beat Arona, and Hendo was a top LHW when he lost.

Good thing Fedor had no fights in between those two either, right?

Embrace the glasses. Arona won clearly the fight. Hendo was a natural mw since greco roman wrestling Olympics...
Casually 0 belts for Fedor outside Japan with anti doping...
Russia was banned from Olympics and global sports for 4 years over doping!

Embrace the glasses. Arona won clearly the fight. Hendo was a natural mw since greco roman wrestling Olympics...
Casually 0 belts for Fedor outside Japan with anti doping...
Russia was banned from Olympics and global sports for 4 years over doping!
Even leaving out the other facts you've disregarded for a moment, a chubby Fedor competed in judo at the same weight Arona competed at in ADCC.

Back