If Aldo realizes he can't strike against McGregor...

Seriously, is McGregor way worse than the Korean Zombie? Or Mark Hominick? Or Ricardo Lamas? Is he really the worst fighter of that entire bunch?

Grappling wise both KZ and Lamas have shown that they have high level grappling (and with high level I mean top of the world lvl for MMA fighters bc literally every top 20 fighter has pretty high lvl grappling ) . Mc Gregor so far hasn't.

Sometimes things don't work out the way we think they will. Alves was a better striker than GSP by a long shot, he got outstruck by GSP. You see, in MMA you don't have to be better than someone at a specific skill, you only have to take then out of their game and disrupt their rhythm to even the playing field. If Aldo threatens take downs or if he lands get kicks then it may disrupt McGregor to the point that his boxing is irrelevant.
Like how Cain destroyed JDS on the feet when JDS is supposed to be a better striker.

Conor's boxing is much much better than Aldo's. Aldo's kicks will be a huge factor in the fight. If Conor can avoid then, it will be another exciting victory for McGregor.

I disagree that his boxing is better, but even so this is MMA. Aldo has never been out struck before.

If Conor can't do it offensively with his boxing what does he have to fall back on?

This is the biggest mystery with McGregor. He hasn't faced a high level wrestler who could threaten with takedowns so we could see how good his TDD is, and if his TDD didn't hold up, how good his ground game is. I think if he doesn't have good skills in either of those, he's in trouble with Aldo. But he could yet prove that he has solid TDD or that he can defend submissions well. We can speculate ad nauseam, but the truth is that there's no way of knowing. Just because he hasn't had to use those skills doesn't mean he doesn't have them. The guy is a brown belt in BJJ, which means he has at least some decent idea of what to do on the ground. I still think Aldo wins because he's just phenomenal, and the fact that Conor is in large part an unknown quantity makes me favor the champion. But anybody with punching power always has a chance.

Chopkick the bitch if Siver can get through, Aldo can kick through. Conor think he owns the patent on fight speed he will find out he's not alone when you reach the top.

aldo is a beast on the feet. how come ppl think conor will outstrike him is beyond me.

This.

I have loved the way Conor has looked, but the delusion runs strong on this site of him being the far superior striker to Aldo.

Jose's kicking game is ferocious and unlike anything McGregor has faced in his career, and Aldo himself has very good hand speed and power.

This will easily be Conor's toughest fight in his career, by far. Aldo is at another level of competition to what he has faced.

Takes the clown down and rearranges his face till the ref jumps in to prevent a lethal outcome.

Conor's boxing is much much better than Aldo's. Aldo's kicks will be a huge factor in the fight. If Conor can avoid then, it will be another exciting victory for McGregor.

No it isn't stop lying to yourself

Woho has aldo ever faced who uses a lot of kicks other then lamas who was just spamming wheel kicks not to get knocked out.

I think mcgregors pressure will stop a lot of aldos kicks.And movement has given both barao and aldo problems as there very flat footed

i think mcgregor looks okay for the first couple rounds till those leg kicks start to take effect. but if aldo can slow that movement down it could be very problematic for anyone but especially someone who relies so much on in and out movement.

I haven't been amazed with Aldo's offensive bjj, however he controls people quite well.

A submission is definitely possible but I see McGregor surviving.

Based on what? Nobody knows enough about how either of these guys would do on the ground to form an educated opinion.

It's all just "who are you a fan of".

Like how Cain destroyed JDS on the feet when JDS is supposed to be a better striker.

The threat of a takedown works wonders: see sonnen/silva I, bones. Conor won't be threatening with takedowns. Aldo might, which could widen the gap in striking.

Based on what? Nobody knows enough about how either of these guys would do on the ground to form an educated opinion.

People seem to forget that Aldo has been on the ground in a good chunk of his fights, and he usually passes and takes dominant position ridiculously quickly

Aside from a crippled Faber, I don't think that's true.

Anyway, he hasn't submitted anyone in years and years. Why do people suddenly think he's gonna finish McGregor with ease?

Seriously, is McGregor way worse than the Korean Zombie? Or Mark Hominick? Or Ricardo Lamas? Is he really the worst fighter of that entire bunch?

You don't think he controls that well? Maybe you're right, I could be basing it off of his BJJ background.

Based on watching both fight?

You do realise you can analyse a fight without just supporting one or the other?

Aldo hasn't done much on the ground in his career, he has an early submission loss and since then he's been fine. He hasn't been destroying guys on the ground but he doesn't get threatened much with subs either.

McGregor had his two early losses but has improved since then, escaping several sub attempts from Brandao and landing some good GnP, as well as controlling Holloway. I'd give Aldo an edge but not as big as most would.

Aldo hasn't done much on the ground in his career, he has an early submission loss and since then he's been fine. He hasn't been destroying guys on the ground but he doesn't get threatened much with subs either.

McGregor had his two early losses but has improved since then, escaping several sub attempts from Brandao and landing some good GnP, as well as controlling Holloway. I'd give Aldo an edge but not as big as most would.

The way Aldo crushed the guard of Faber and Lamas in under 10 seconds is more impressive then anything Conor have accomplished on the ground in his career, on top of this Aldo have crushed the guard of several other opponents aswell people who have been very high level grapplers themselves.

When Florian who is a high level blackbelt tried to take Aldo down, Aldo swept him, and passed his guard to mount so easy that it made Florian look like a whitebelt.

He crucifix mounted Faber for christ sake and had him completly helpless and stuck, look at who Aldo have been facing and it's really not the hard to see why he hasn't been primarily going for subs when he's had people on the ground, it's not easy at all to lock up subs in MMA and you also risk losing position by going for them ESPECIALLY if you are in top position.

In fact if you are in top position in MMA there really isn't any point what so ever to start fishing for subs when the success rate of you controlling your opponent with strikes is much greater then a sub alternative. The one exception would be if you manage to get someones back and have them flattened out in that case a finish by strikes and a RNC would have about the same finishing percentage.

Conor is a 'brownbelt' under John Kavanagh (which means fk all in reality) in competition he wouldn't even make it out of a bluebelt bracket. The best grappler at that garage gym he trains out of is Gunnar Nelson, and Gunnar Nelson's accolades as a blackbelt in competition reads like a big fat ZERO, infact he's failed to even place or get out of the initial stages since becoming a blackbelt (this due to competition level between brown and BLACK being ENORMOUS it's basicly the difference between you facing Jonny Brownbelt and the likes of Kieran,Cobrinha,Terra,Mendes,Garcia and so on)

Aldo is a multiple brazilian national champ/mundials & pro's winner. He also has submission victories (yes plural) over Rubens Charles.

The way Aldo crushed the guard of Faber and Lamas in under 10 seconds is more impressive then anything Conor have accomplished on the ground in his career, on top of this Aldo have crushed the guard of several other opponents aswell people who have been very high level grapplers themselves.

When Florian who is a high level blackbelt tried to take Aldo down, Aldo swept him, and passed his guard to mount so easy that it made Florian look like a whitebelt.

He crucifix mounted Faber for christ sake and had him completly helpless and stuck, look at who Aldo have been facing and it's really not the hard to see why he hasn't been primarily going for subs when he's had people on the ground, it's not easy at all to lock up subs in MMA and you also risk losing position by going for them ESPECIALLY if you are in top position.

In fact if you are in top position in MMA there really isn't any point what so ever to start fishing for subs when the success rate of you controlling your opponent with strikes is much greater then a sub alternative. The one exception would be if you manage to get someones back and have them flattened out in that case a finish by strikes and a RNC would have about the same finishing percentage.

Conor is a 'brownbelt' under John Kavanagh (which means fk all in reality) in competition he wouldn't even make it out of a bluebelt bracket. The best grappler at that garage gym he trains out of is Gunnar Nelson, and Gunnar Nelson's accolades as a blackbelt in competition reads like a big fat ZERO, infact he's failed to even place or get out of the initial stages since becoming a blackbelt (this due to competition level between brown and BLACK being ENORMOUS it's basicly the difference between you facing Jonny Brownbelt and the likes of Kieran,Cobrinha,Terra,Mendes,Garcia and so on)

Aldo is a multiple brazilian national champ/mundials & pro's winner. He also has submission victories (yes plural) over Rubens Charles.

I actually forgot about his ground work against Lamas, good call. What I'm saying is a lot of people are saying he'll sub Conor with ease when we haven't seen enough from his submission game to know if this is true.

And it's not a garage gym, it's one of the best facilities in Europe. How has Aldo done in BJJ competition? I know he's won tournaments (the nationals in Brazil) but not much beyond that.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the last part of your post.

People seem to forget that Aldo has been on the ground in a good chunk of his fights, and he usually passes and takes dominant position ridiculously quickly

So quickly but people just seem to forget.

Conor will take Jose down and lock the RNC so hard and tight, he will take his head clean off.

Clean off!

I actually forgot about his ground work against Lamas, good call. What I'm saying is a lot of people are saying he'll sub Conor with ease when we haven't seen enough from his submission game to know if this is true.

And it's not a garage gym, it's one of the best facilities in Europe. How has Aldo done in BJJ competition? I know he's won tournaments (the nationals in Brazil) but not much beyond that.

Aldo was primarily a BJJ practitioner before starting MMA. He turned out to be so good at striking his style became what we know today. I remember Anderson Silva saying Aldo was better than him for that fact when Aldo won the WEC belt.
I personally believe he could BJJfuck Connor all night but it's very unlikely he's gonna do that.

Compared to the level of competition they are facing in Aldo and Nova Uniao, and their ''results'' it's a garage gym. Like i said Gunnar Nelson have zero accomplishments as a blackbelt at comp level unless you wanna count FAILING to place as an actual accomplishment.

John Kavanagh in comparasing to Andre ''Dede'' Pederneiras if we look at resum

Back