If Aldo realizes he can't strike against McGregor...

dropkick09

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Say Aldo realizes he isn't beating McGregor in the stand-up department, closes the distance and takes McGregor down. How do you see it playing out for both fighters ?

Although we haven't seen many submission victories from Aldo or much of his ground game, Aldo is a Black belt under Nova Uniao.

I personally think that Aldo is better than McGregor in standup and will keep the fight standing to make a statement and is unquestionably better in the ground and I see Aldo subbing McGregor within 3 minutes after getting the takedown.

Last edited:
He played the ground game with Faber and it worked in his favor.

I don't see McGregor out-striking him though. McGregor leaves his leg out just begging people to kick it, even Siver was having some success in chopping at it.

I haven't been amazed with Aldo's offensive bjj, however he controls people quite well.

A submission is definitely possible but I see McGregor surviving.

I just think the HUGE step up in competition is gonna be too much for McGregor. I really think this could end up being a very one sided fight, with Aldo dominating McGregor.

Mcgregor looks strong for the division which may negate some of the big ground game skill advantage between the two but I think Aldo will be able to land enough leg kicks that he will at least be as effective as Mcgregor standing

Aldo has never faced a striker with McGregor's unorthodox "Karate" style, if he can avoid that left straight punch and dangerous uppercut, as well as McGregor's high kicks then I see Aldo even getting a K.O or TKO. I also agree that leg kicks will be a major part of Aldo's strategy in defeating McGregor.

aldo is a beast on the feet. how come ppl think conor will outstrike him is beyond me.

Woho has aldo ever faced who uses a lot of kicks other then lamas who was just spamming wheel kicks not to get knocked out.

I think mcgregors pressure will stop a lot of aldos kicks.And movement has given both barao and aldo problems as there very flat footed

aldo is a beast on the feet. how come ppl think conor will outstrike him is beyond me.

Conor's boxing is much much better than Aldo's. Aldo's kicks will be a huge factor in the fight. If Conor can avoid then, it will be another exciting victory for McGregor.

Conor's boxing is much much better than Aldo's. Aldo's kicks will be a huge factor in the fight. If Conor can avoid then, it will be another exciting victory for McGregor.

Sometimes things don't work out the way we think they will. Alves was a better striker than GSP by a long shot, he got outstruck by GSP. You see, in MMA you don't have to be better than someone at a specific skill, you only have to take then out of their game and disrupt their rhythm to even the playing field. If Aldo threatens take downs or if he lands get kicks then it may disrupt McGregor to the point that his boxing is irrelevant.

Sometimes things don't work out the way we think they will. Alves was a better striker than GSP by a long shot, he got outstruck by GSP. You see, in MMA you don't have to be better than someone at a specific skill, you only have to take then out of their game and disrupt their rhythm to even the playing field. If Aldo threatens take downs or if he lands get kicks then it may disrupt McGregor to the point that his boxing is irrelevant.

Well of course. But it wworks both ways. I just think Conor has a legit chance of knocking Aldo off.

Aldo made Kenny Florian look like Ruan Potts on the ground and Florian aint no joke.

That's easy to say when you're fighting Dennis Siver and not Frankie Edgar. Denis Siver is a good win but I dont see how people are missing the huge talent gap in who Jose has faced and Connor has faced. I hope the odds are as close as people think the fight will be .

Well of course. But it wworks both ways. I just think Conor has a legit chance of knocking Aldo off.

Bro, every contender pretty much has a legit chance to beat the champion, that is how they got to be a contender. I mean even when they don't stand a chance sometimes they win, like Serra/GSP.

Yes, McGregor can win. I don't think he will though. Aldo is not a one trick pony. This guy is solid in all phases of the game which means he has more ways to win. Conor must rely on a KO. Aldo doesn't. Aldo also has the championship experience in 5 rounders, the confidence of 18 consecutive victories, and the odds makers on his side. We'll see though. Don't be shocked if the champ nullifies McGregor.

I haven't been amazed with Aldo's offensive bjj, however he controls people quite well.

A submission is definitely possible but I see McGregor surviving.

Aside from a crippled Faber, I don't think that's true.

Anyway, he hasn't submitted anyone in years and years. Why do people suddenly think he's gonna finish McGregor with ease?

Seriously, is McGregor way worse than the Korean Zombie? Or Mark Hominick? Or Ricardo Lamas? Is he really the worst fighter of that entire bunch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back