If Aldo kicks, clinches, and wrestles, he beats McGregor...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Cold Front, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Cold Front

Cold Front Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

...if Aldo boxes McGregor, the champ loses.

Agreed?

McGregor's hands are too heavy, his chin is made of concrete, and his boxing is too unorthodox and pinpoint accurate for the champ. What's more, Aldo's boxing defense hasn't been the sharpest in his recent fights.

But Aldo is a far more complete fighter than McGregor. He can kick McGregor's legs; he can clinch with the Irishman, and he can even score takedowns against a guy Siver took down twice. Wrestling will ultimately be McGregor's Achilles heel.

2. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl Brown Belt

I don't know about McGregor's clinch work; he is the bigger man. But yeah, I agree that Aldo has way more ways to win this fight than Conor, and has all the tools to control how and where this fight takes place.

Edit: I don't know about the boxing. Conor is awesome, but Aldo's speed will be something he hasn't dealt with before. We'll see.

3. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

4. Cold Front

Aldo moving to the clinch would be to prevent McGregor from unloading his hands at his preferred distance, to frustrate and tire McGregor. It's a short-term defensive strategy for Aldo, not a way to land the takedown.

5. Cold Front

McGregor popped up too quickly for those to count? My mistake.

But I think the point still stands. Silver got in on McGregor's legs pretty easily. What Siver was able to start, Aldo can finish.

6. The Swirl

The Swirl Blue Belt

I really do not see any scenario where Conor wins. I like Conor, but he has nothing for Aldo

7. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

Aldo is knocking him out with punches

8. SlicerDM

SlicerDM Peace is a lie, there is only passion Double Yellow Card

You guys are so ignorant on the fight game. If Aldo stands and trades he looses? McGregor needs his kick more than Aldo needs his. I don't know why you think McGregor is such a sound boxer when in reality it's all setup using feints and his kicks. I don't think Iv ever seen McGregor throwing anything other than a jab, straight and uppercut. Aldo cuts angles better, his headmovement is better, his hands are faster, he hits just as hard. I fucking dare McGregor to turn this into a boxing match with no threat of the TD. That will be my ideal fight, take away McGregors needed weapons in his kicking. Please McGregor box Aldo.

EDIT: tl;tr

McGregor needs his kicks to setup his boxing, without that he is predictable and becomes only a distance boxer. Aldo can box in the pocket and at a distance. Take your pick.

9. yougetKTFO

yougetKTFO Black Belt

This one will be a feeler on the feet for sure, don't expect McGregor to come in and unload as per usual.

10. YoungBoyd

YoungBoyd Maulana

It's mma. You should always look to mix it up. I hope to see some TDs from Aldo.

11. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

Jose will murder him whereever the fight goes after some heavy leg kicks do you think Conor would do those fancy kicks and footwork hell no

12. RHart80

RHart80 Black Belt

Seiver proved the McGregor is open to leg kicks. Wich Aldo is going to destroy him with.

13. synyster

synyster Brown Belt

naw speed kills aldo is gonna light that leprechaun up on the feet

14. Rampage_Jackson

Rampage_Jackson Black Belt

Aldo goes night night no matter what he tries. He's got nuttin for teh GOAT

15. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Conor is stylistically a bad matchup for Aldo or at least one of the worst in the division. Aldo actually doesn't avoid too many strikes but gets away with it because of his power. Considering Chad was able to close distance I don't think Conor will have any trouble in that department. Conor has a lot more variations in his strikes then Chad and is a lot bigger then him as well. One of the first times Aldo will be facing someone his size and someone who isn't strictly a boxing based striker.

16. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

Aldo definitely has a lot more tools. If he's smart, he'll utilize them all to put Conor off his game.

17. GBcrazy

GBcrazy Brown Belt

Basically, Aldo should try to out point McGregor and avoid being finished. I don't see that kind of advantage on the clinch either.

18. Docile

Docile Brown Belt

lol I am also hoping we get to see Aldo fight differently when he faces Mcgregor, but for him to start wrestling? how fucking scared are these fans?

Aldo won't start to wrestle, if he wins it's because he returned to vintage Aldo throwing knees with reckless abandon and relying on his BJJ if the opponent times a takedown and stops his momentum.

It'll be the first primarily striking battle with no threat of the takedown since Korean Zombie got his shot.

19. Tankeray

Tankeray The Progeny of Beast of Woe

I don't think many people here realize that McGregor's flashy kicks are mainly there to distract the opponent and create openings for his heavy hands, namely his straight left.

They're not just done to "look cool" or be "hipster" or whatever. There's a very good reason he uses a variety of kicks in his game.

With that said he's got his hands full facing a legend like Aldo. Aldo has better head movement and is a more complete fighter, he has better pure thai boxing too. McGregor hasn't come close to fighting someone with Aldo's standup game.

With that said its going to be a hell of a fight.

20. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

This.