If AK is most prolific assault rifle then what is most prolific sidearm

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
If the AK-47 is the most prolific assault rifle in third world, unstable regions, bad guy countries, then what is the most prolific sidearm, or hand gun in those same areas?

And what calibre is it? Something tells me it might be some gun from the Old Soviet Bloc nations, so maybe a CZ pistol. Czech Republic was behind the iron curtain.

At a guess, if history is included...some form of revolver or a glock 17

If counting clones then the CZ75 has to be up there. I'll throw out the Browning Hi-Power too.

I was thinking 1911. Everybody knows what those are.

But then is the 45 acp the most prolific bullet? I always thought it would be the 9mm which is why the US uses the 9mm so much.

And how did the 1911 get spread around so much? Is it because the US spread those guns around to help fight the Japanese during WW2?

Just about every nation in the world besides the United States and the Soviet Bloc used some variation of the Browning HiPower during the Cold War. The Soviets used different sidearms in different countries, so there was no monolithic design like there is with the AK. The 1911 was a purely American phenomena.

I vote 9mm Luger and the Browning HiPower.

Prolific side arm? Does this mean among gun owners or the general public?

EVERYONE will recognize these guns:
-Full size Glock, generally the 9mm but all their full sizes are the same dimensions for the most part is my understanding

-Full size 1911, movies, use in WWII

-Berretta M9, Lethal Weapon and the use by US military personnel

-Colt Python/S&W .44 magnum (can't remember the barrel length that Dirty Harry had)

FL3HKH56COEP27QQ7V.LARGE.jpg

/thread

-Full size Glock, generally the 9mm but all their full sizes are the same dimensions for the most part is my understanding

-Colt Python/S&W .44 magnum (can't remember the barrel length that Dirty Harry had)

1. Not all full size flocks are the same, just the 9mm and 40 caliber ones (26/27, 19/23, 17/22). The 45 and 10mm ones are bigger in all ways.

2. The beretta was the first to come to mind for me, I creamed my pants over beretta a for a long time because of lethal weapon and other action movies....then got one and hated it.

3. Dirty Harry used a 629 (or a 29) made by smith and Wesson, colt Python can be seen in the walkin dead as ricks main weapon.

Oh, Dirty Harry used a 4" barrel I believe, I haven't watched that shit in ages though, he used a 44 automag in one of the films too. He also mentions in magnum force that he loads the gun down with lite 44 specials rather than full magnum rounds.

Not meant to be ducking, just clearing things up.

Among gun owners and general public, but also gangbangers, insurgents, and armies of rogue nations, and dictators. Will it be different depending on the category?

Basically, the AK is the most prolific assault rifle they say, but for what, just regular people? Or just armies of third world? What is the handgun equivalent?

When you say prolific do you mean most in circulation or most recognizable?

Yeah. I figured most manufactured/most on the global market.

If you're looking at most used by "gangbangers" that's pretty much limited to US, and I'd say a cheap super 9 like a glock or something.

1911. There are so many variants, licensed versions, rip offs and remakes for so long and there always will be. tried, tested and true.

1911 is US centric thinking.

Worldwide, it's the Browning Hi-Power and IMO, it's not even close between the two.

I think the Browning High Power has to be up there.

Back