If Affliction: Banned is successful, how about adding it to the HWs?

Brunswick Blake

Silver Belt
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that if Affliction's pilot MMA event is successful, we should be allowed to discuss it on the Heavyweight's forum.

Of course, a similar argument can be made for the EliteXC premier on CBS.

How about the idea of allowing both?

"The Heavyweights: UFC, WEC, EliteXC, Affliction, and Dream"?

I think it is clear the UFC is not the only promotion putting on world class events anymore, and if see some success out of the new promotions, they ought to be able to share the spotlight on the world's leading MMA forum.

The argument for Affliction is easy.

The event will feature roughly half of the world's top ten HWs. Besides that, other much sought after free agents will be fighting for Affliction. Lindland, Hominick, Savant Young, Mike Pyle, Babalu and now Diet Nog.

Plus, some pretty big (although not really my personal taste) bands are supposedly playing at the event. I've heard rumors of Megadeth and Korn playing.

However, great arguments can be made for a number of competeing orgs.

Anyway, my point is, it's now pretty obvious that the UFC no longer stands alone as leaders in the mixed martial arts world.

I think the world's number one MMA forum should reflect this.

"The Heavyweights: UFC, WEC, EliteXC, Affliction, and Dream"?

If you don't think Affliction should make the cut (depending on the success of their first event), then how would you change the 'HWs'? Or would you just leave them as they are?

How about we wait and see how many fights they put on in the next year? One big show does not equal HW. I'm all for competiton between orgs, but lets not jump the gun here.

How about we wait and see how many fights they put on in the next year? One big show does not equal HW. I'm all for competiton between orgs, but lets not jump the gun here.

That's fair, but what about Dream and EliteXC?

They've both already gotten a foothold.

Afflictions card is looking increasingly impressive everyday...but as a lot of people said about putting Dream in the Heavyweights we need to see if they have staying power. I for one don't mind reading about it in contenders keeps a lotta dumb post away

They need to have a few successful events not just one...Every time a new promotion is out and they have one or two events right away someone wants to put in heavyweights...

The Heavyweights is clearly indicated as the "Zuffa" forum, because Zuffa is the top dog in the game right now. If it was just the Heavyweights and was not indicated as threads should be pertinent to Zuffa promotions - then no, Affliction should not because they would have had one show.

honestly if your going to put anyone into heavywights it would be eliteXC simply because they have been a round a bit and are going on network TV. maybe dream by the end of the year and they show they can be around for a long time

but back to the topic at hand, 1 show does not put you into heavyweights

Just mash contenders and HW's together and be done with this retardation.

The contenders board is so slow anyway it's worth visiting maybe 1-2 times a week max.

How will you gauge the success of Afflictions first event? How much money they made? Because even they said they don't expect to make any money from the event.

Just mash contenders and HW's together and be done with this retardation.

The contenders board is so slow anyway it's worth visiting maybe 1-2 times a week max.

Exactly.

Best idea I've heard on sherdog in a long damn time.

Why is it so friggin' important that we not mix discussion of the UFC with discussion of competing orgs? You'd think Dana White himself owned this website.

:icon_chee

This is just ridiculous.
Give an org at least three events before talking about moving them to the HWs.

It isn't enough to be 'successful' or not.
It is about enduring.
The ability to go the distance.

I've read that Affliction doesn't even plan to make a profit on the first show.

Affiction holds alot more big named fighters than EliteXC,IFL and ect..so it should be put in the HW...

What is with this shit everytime someone puts on one good card ...does anyone not remember wfa???

Enough already! They may have fedor -but it will cave...

Back