If a man is in the biggest fight of his life with the world watching and moment to be remembed by...

this guy is seriously acting as if Cerrone is the only fighter in history to get laid out without any resistance. The proverbial magnifying glass becomes too big sometimes...

I think it’s a combination of things that leaves people feeling short changed.

Most of this forum seemed to be predicting a first round KO, so I don’t think there’s much surprise at the result, but the build up and aftermath contribute to what was a disappointing event.

It was too casual, too friendly, too ‘I’m just happy to be here’. I don’t like the idea that Cerrone wasn’t there to win, but it felt like winning would be a nice bonus, rather than his reason for being there.

Most of this forum seemed to be predicting a first round KO, so I don’t think there’s much surprise at the result, but the build up and aftermath contribute to what was a disappointing event.

It was too casual, too friendly, too ‘I’m just happy to be here’. I don’t like the idea that Cerrone wasn’t there to win, but it felt like winning would be a nice bonus, rather than his reason for being there.
Exact.

He threw a head kick but Conor returned it better, shocked the ol fella.

His warrior reputation was always a bit of a myth. Good fighter, tough guy, nice guy, but he wilts under pressure. In as many fights as he's had I can barely recall him overcoming adversity to win. vs Gullaird, years back maybe

Well put

For sure we all would've loved a knock out, drag out event, but we only got the KO.
What I was perturbed with is people who think it's so easy to be in there... without knowing anything pertaining to the actual fight game.
You can freeze people with glances, foot movement, your energy. Cerrone didn't train his ass off for months to get KOed.
He isn't the first to be impressively starched either... but the same shit after every Conor fight. Whoever he beats, 'was never good to begin with'.

His warrior reputation was always a bit of a myth. Good fighter, tough guy, nice guy, but he wilts under pressure. In as many fights as he's had I can barely recall him overcoming adversity to win. vs Gullaird, years back maybe

Like this guy.

Cerrone has all the records, the most fights, and now he wasn't ever a warrior.
People like this could use a reality check.

Like this guy.

Cerrone has all the records, the most fights, and now he wasn't ever a warrior.
People like this could use a reality check.

Take it up with Khabib. He, amongst others, have accused Cerrone of "giving up" in past fights. He either wins easily or loses easily.

It's kind of telling that nobody was really pushing the narrative that cerrone chokes in big fights before this match-up...

Except Cerrone. And he couldn't shut up about it.
Dude was in his own head.

McGregor's mental warfare has reached a new level.
Killin' em with kindness.
Second fastest KO of his UFC career and least amount of promotion he's had to do.

Well put

For sure we all would've loved a knock out, drag out event, but we only got the KO.
What I was perturbed with is people who think it's so easy to be in there... without knowing anything pertaining to the actual fight game.
You can freeze people with glances, foot movement, your energy. Cerrone didn't train his ass off for months to get KOed.
He isn't the first to be impressively starched either... but the same shit after every Conor fight. Whoever he beats, 'was never good to begin with'.

You see it after every fight. Canelo Alvarez stopped Rocky Fielding recently with numerous body shots and my friend was convinced he could’ve lasted longer. He’s an accountant.

Hell we even have dudes here convinced they could beat Manny Pacquiao in the ring because they’re 5/6 inches taller than him.

People are generally unaware of what they’re watching in combat sports unless they’ve trained with at least a view to competing in them.

For me, I expected an early Conor win, but not that early. More importantly, I didn’t even bother to stay up and watch it (or pay for it) because the whole thing felt far too friendly from the beginning. No issue with the fighters showing respect, but there’s a line that crosses over into something just too cordial.

Cerrone is old now, it is what it is. His last wins have been from being a crafty veteran. Conor was always going to win this fight and everybody knew jr but somehow now that it happened people are confused somehow

Shouldnt he be expected to put up at least some resistance?
Ok cerrone chokes in big fights. Ok he was overwhelmed etc etc.
But c'mon. I mean he's a goddamn professional fighter. He gets payed to do this.
I dont think its unreasonable to expect him to at least throw some shots in return and not just curl up into a ball and wait for it to be called off.

It wasnt a 'dive'. But fair to say it was a weak ass performance and he couldve tried harder, and not be so jovial and buddy buddy 5 seconds later either.

You ever had your nose broken then dropped with a head kick? It'll really throw you off your game.

You see it after every fight. Canelo Alvarez stopped Rocky Fielding recently with numerous body shots and my friend was convinced he could’ve lasted longer. He’s an accountant.

Hell we even have dudes here convinced they could beat Manny Pacquiao in the ring because they’re 5/6 inches taller than him.

People are generally unaware of what they’re watching in combat sports unless they’ve trained with at least a view to competing in them.

For me, I expected an early Conor win, but not that early. More importantly, I didn’t even bother to stay up and watch it (or pay for it) because the whole thing felt far too friendly from the beginning. No issue with the fighters showing respect, but there’s a line that crosses over into something just too cordial.

I'm with ya on the cordial thing. Not a fan of that shit before a fight. Germain derandasomething is the worst with it.
Martial arts is respect, but it's also fuckin war. Wish more would be like nick and nate on this one.

Cerrone has always been one of those Fighters that get intimidated by other Fighters. I noticed this when he fought Nate Diaz. He had that look of "a deer in headlights". I never believed he was what they marketed him out to be. He was a well-rounded average Fighter. This was an easy "set-up" Fight to make Conor relevant again. No more....no less!
yes, but he took 3 rounds of beating from Diaz, and in the third if I remmber correctly, he was actually coming back with some good kicks to legs and body and looked better.
Even take the Ferguson fight - he took way more damage, but he was fighting and could have gone to third round.
Now compare that fight to what we ve seen today...

As a Cowboy fan ( my favourite fighter) that was horrible to watch and like, not even sure what to make of this.
I guess just happy for him he got the payday , even though himself he said he would get the usual money...

Cerrone has always been one of those Fighters that get intimidated by other Fighters. I noticed this when he fought Nate Diaz. He had that look of "a deer in headlights". I never believed he was what they marketed him out to be. He was a well-rounded average Fighter. This was an easy "set-up" Fight to make Conor relevant again. No more....no less!
What exactly did they "market him out to be" that you never believed? Seriously, I'm genuinely curious.

As far as I can recall having followed him since the WEC days he's always been "marketed" as exactly what he is, a perennial top 10 competitor who will take any fight offered and has the skill set to win on any given night but also has a tendency to under perform when the stakes are at their highest.

I guess now they also add the fact he holds the UFC record for wins, finishes, finishes by kick and performance bonuses into the pre fight marketing but since those are facts you can't really decide to "not believe" them.

I know i couldnt do any better

But then again im not a 20 year trained professional

I put the fight on and all that came out of my mouth was "that was pathetic"

Really weak showing by Cerrone

The night was full of weird and suspect moments, then the co main was as uninteresting and boring as expected and the main event was severely underwhelming.
That is all.

Those strikes would have put you in a coma mate.

The human body can only take what the human body can take. The ferocity shocked Cowboy and the strikes had juice, simple as that.

damn boi they got you good eh?

He's a jobber through and through. Always was always will be.

That headkick was so telegraphed he should have seen it coming a mile away. He gets hit fair enough he's rocked but I dont see how he doesn't recover considering 90% of mcgregors follow up shots hit his arms.

And when he got him in clinch initially just held him. Who the fuck does that. Either break or do something or at least defend yourself from those shoulder strikes.

Purposefully shit performance

Shouldnt he be expected to put up at least some resistance?
Ok cerrone chokes in big fights. Ok he was overwhelmed etc etc.
But c'mon. I mean he's a goddamn professional fighter. He gets payed to do this.
I dont think its unreasonable to expect him to at least throw some shots in return and not just curl up into a ball and wait for it to be called off.

It wasnt a 'dive'. But fair to say it was a weak ass performance and he couldve tried harder, and not be so jovial and buddy buddy 5 seconds later either.
He lasted 4 times as long as Aldo. These things happen, as much as we'd want a longer fight.

I remember one time, I was finished with training looking forward to the Tyson vs Spinks fight immediately after, and it was already over, even if I was merely 2 mins late.

yes, but he took 3 rounds of beating from Diaz, and in the third if I remmber correctly, he was actually coming back with some good kicks to legs and body and looked better.
Even take the Ferguson fight - he took way more damage, but he was fighting and could have gone to third round.
Now compare that fight to what we ve seen today...

As a Cowboy fan ( my favourite fighter) that was horrible to watch and like, not even sure what to make of this.
I guess just happy for him he got the payday , even though himself he said he would get the usual money...

If cowboys your fav fighter and your a fan how could u be happy for him that his career defining performance that he will forerver be known for was that complete floor mopping excercise?
Maybe he is just happy to get payed but where is the warrior spirit, he does have it just didnt show it when it counted the most

Back