If a fighter quits during 5 minute rest given by ref after being foul

Kgeorge

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So after being fouled and that fighter quits when ref gives them a 5 minute recovery break is it a win via disqualification or is it a no contest?

And what would Jon Jones record be if fighters did not let him get away with fouls?

When you don't come out of the corner it's called retirement.

Up to whether the ref deems it intentional or not.

Most of the time it's a no contest. Unless it's past a certain point in the fight when it goes to the scorecards.

Also, I believe nut shot is the only one they get five minutes for. Any other foul is an immediate decision to continue by the fighter/ref/doctor. As said, it depends on when it is stopped, and if it is deemed unintentional or intentional foul. I'm not sure at what point it goes to the cards as opposed to being declared a TKO loss. Remember, Randy lost the championship to Vitor in the opening seconds (IIRC) due to a cut IN his eye caused by a glove. Nate lost the other week after the fight was stopped due to a cut. There have been fights declared no-contest when stopped by a doctor due to an eye poke. I can't ever recall anyone quitting due to a nut shot, but it may have happened, I'm sure.

It all depends at what point of fight it happens otherwise I'd say itd be a NC. I'm not 100% sure on that and ref probably has some weight on this as well.

It's annoying because a lot of the time, the fighter is compelled to quit after being fouled. Primarily because the refs don't penalize quickly for fouls.

Put yourself in a fighter's shoes. You're eye poked in round 1. The fight seems close. Your eye hurts and you're not seeing well, but you can continue. You, being a savvy person, realize that if you say you can't see, the fight will either end in a no contest or a disqualification, at the discretion of the ref, so it's either neutral or a win. If you continue, you are at a handicap for the rest of the fight, because the other fighter fouled you. He will not be penalized, only warned, because it's the first incident of the fight. Now you could lose, and you're fighting at a disadvantage. Why the hell would you continue when you're at a disadvantage, but your opponent isn't? It's not about being a man or a warrior. It's about being smart.

Now, imagine if every foul, whether intentional unintentional resulted in a point deduction. Not only would you see less fighters sticking their hands out or kicking low, you'd also see a lot more fighters willing to continue after being fouled because their opponent is now at a scoring disadvantage, so they have a much better chance to win or draw.

Also, I believe nut shot is the only one they get five minutes for. Any other foul is an immediate decision to continue by the fighter/ref/doctor. As said, it depends on when it is stopped, and if it is deemed unintentional or intentional foul. I'm not sure at what point it goes to the cards as opposed to being declared a TKO loss. Remember, Randy lost the championship to Vitor in the opening seconds (IIRC) due to a cut IN his eye caused by a glove. Nate lost the other week after the fight was stopped due to a cut. There have been fights declared no-contest when stopped by a doctor due to an eye poke. I can't ever recall anyone quitting due to a nut shot, but it may have happened, I'm sure.
I seem to recall years ago at the "Fight for the Troops" The" James Krause was hit by (I think) three kicks to the balls by Bobby Green. Krause could not continue and Bobby Green got the win. I thought it should've been a no contest, but Bobby got the easiest win of his career.

It's annoying because a lot of the time, the fighter is compelled to quit after being fouled. Primarily because the refs don't penalize quickly for fouls.

Put yourself in a fighter's shoes. You're eye poked in round 1. The fight seems close. Your eye hurts and you're not seeing well, but you can continue. You, being a savvy person, realize that if you say you can't see, the fight will either end in a no contest or a disqualification, at the discretion of the ref, so it's either neutral or a win. If you continue, you are at a handicap for the rest of the fight, because the other fighter fouled you. He will not be penalized, only warned, because it's the first incident of the fight. Now you could lose, and you're fighting at a disadvantage. Why the hell would you continue when you're at a disadvantage, but your opponent isn't? It's not about being a man or a warrior. It's about being smart.

Now, imagine if every foul, whether intentional unintentional resulted in a point deduction. Not only would you see less fighters sticking their hands out or kicking low, you'd also see a lot more fighters willing to continue after being fouled because their opponent is now at a scoring disadvantage, so they have a much better chance to win or draw.

Ref will default to the doctor. If the doctor says the fighter can't go, ref will stop the fight every time. So if the fighter tells the doctor he can't see out of the eye, the fight will be called every time.

I agree with the overall point. Blatant eye poke/face rake with fingers extended and the ref somehow doesn't issue a point deduction. Maybe gives a warning. You as a fighter might be able to see, but maybe it's blurry or feels like there is something in your eye. If so, you are at a big disadvantage if you continue.

A foul does not give a 5 minute break, only nut shots do. Contrary to popular belief you do not have 5 minutes to recover from an eyepoke or any other foul. The refs usually give you a little time (they don't have to, according to the rules) and then ask you if you can continue. If you can't, the fight is declared either a DQ or a NC.

I know the rules pretty well, but I'm not sure either what makes a fight a DQ or a NC. I think if the foul is intentional or recurring it has to be a DQ, but this year I've seen a fight get declared a DQ even though the foul was ruled as unintentional and it was the first foul of the night so I don't know anymore.

So after being fouled and that fighter quits when ref gives them a 5 minute recovery break is it a win via disqualification or is it a no contest?

And what would Jon Jones record be if fighters did not let him get away with fouls?
If the fighter cannot continue and the ref deems the foul intentional, the fouler loses. Doesn’t matter which round. Example: F Shamrock v Renzo Gracie. EDIT: another example is Jones v Hammill.

If the fighter cannot continue and the ref deems the foul unintentional and it’s past 2/3 or 3/5 rounds it goes to the judges. Example: Cowboy Cerrone v Jamie Varner.

If under 2/3 or 3/5 rounds and unintentional it’s a NC: Example: Todd Duffee v Jeff Hughes.

But TS is really not subtly asking about Jones and cheating, maybe about Jones v Smith. If Smith didn’t continue, the ref would have had to make a very difficult decision.

I think that’s the comprehensive answer. source = https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nac/NAC-467.html#NAC467Sec7966

Last edited:
If the fighter cannot continue and the ref deems the foul intentional, the fouler loses. Doesn’t matter which round. Example: F Shamrock v Renzo Gracie. EDIT: another example is Jones v Hammill.

If the fighter cannot continue and the ref deems the foul unintentional and it’s past 2/3 or 3/5 rounds it goes to the judges. Example: Cowboy Cerrone v Jamie Varner.

If under 2/3 or 3/5 rounds and unintentional it’s a NC: Example: Todd Duffee v Jeff Hughes.

But TS is really not subtly asking about Jones and cheating, maybe about Jones v Smith. If Smith didn’t continue, the ref would have had to make a very difficult decision.

I think that’s the comprehensive answer. source = https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nac/NAC-467.html#NAC467Sec7966
Is it under the full 2/3 and 3/5 rounds or under the 2min30s mark of the 2/3 or 3/5?
Thats the halfway mark, correct?

Edit: SeattleFightFan not only is 5 years my elder here, he joined on my 20th birthday.
No wonder theres teh knowledge.
Cheers OG.

I saw a guy in One cop a nut shot from an axe kick when he was on his back and the opponent standing, most brutal ball wack I've ever seen.

A foul does not give a 5 minute break, only nut shots do. Contrary to popular belief you do not have 5 minutes to recover from an eyepoke or any other foul. The refs usually give you a little time (they don't have to, according to the rules) and then ask you if you can continue. If you can't, the fight is declared either a DQ or a NC.

I know the rules pretty well, but I'm not sure either what makes a fight a DQ or a NC. I think if the foul is intentional or recurring it has to be a DQ, but this year I've seen a fight get declared a DQ even though the foul was ruled as unintentional and it was the first foul of the night so I don't know anymore.

Eye pokes?

they are labelled a bitch and made fun off.

This is what people always forget. The 5 minutes is only for low blows.

For eye pokes the cage side physician has 5 minutes to decide if you can continue or not. That’s why a lot of frightened wave off the ref when eye poked, they don’t want to risk the doctor stopping it.

Back