If a fighter gets slammed hard on the canvas, they should lose a point for the round

It doesn't have to be a fight ending throw, the point is that unless the fighters are forced to fight on concrete (which is ridiculous) then the rules need to make up for the difference in the softness of the mat. It doesn't have to be a fight ending blow for it to still be more force and kinetic energy.

If what I'm saying is wrong, then none of you have the right to say that fighters shouldn't fight on concrete.
Again, there is no guarantee that a slam whether on a mat or on concrete would have done any damage. Guys get slammed on concrete, suffer no injuries and get back up. There are too many variables at play. To have a blanket 1 point loss for a fighter who gets slammed makes no sense. That would be like giving a fighter a 1 point loss for getting caught in a submission, which would make no sense... unless they tap it doesn't count mate.

If the octagons were made of concrete then wrestlers like Khabib would hardly ever win a fight. Diving for a single leg on concrete? LOL good luck with that. Theres a reason every street fight stays standing
Then he shouldn't be allowed to use those techniques in the cage.

You seriously want this decision to be made by MMA judges? Do you watch MMA?

They'd be deducting trips and people would constantly complain "that slam wasn't hard enough for a point deduction."

MMA rules need to be as black and white as possible. This is too subjective as @ShakatheG stated.

I don't know about concrete floors but I would definitely electrify the fence. 90% of the boring time in fights is against the damn fence, a little jolt would make fighters want to get away from having their backs to the fence, and the time that both fighters are pressed against it would be reduced to near zero. Maybe give 5-10 seconds of fence contact before it kicks in.

THATS THE POINT IM MAKING. The floors are padded in order to mitigage the otherwise fatal slams that are possible, but then this isnt made up for in the ruleset, which means the most effective damage-dealing techniques that exist in martial arts are just reduced for no reason.

This isn't right for any true fan of martial arts.

I agree with you actually. But maybe not a full point. Maybe it should count as 10 significant strikes.

I've made threads similar to this, but I was arguing that they should lose the fight outright by TKO if they get dumped on their head or slammed on their back/neck.

The reason that the octagon canvas and other wrestling mats and the mats of combat sports are soft is because we all know that if it were hard like concrete or a hardwood floor or even just dry dirt in the park, then falling and getting slammed could actually kill the fighter if not cause serious damage to them. This is why there are things like G-Max scales and HIC in sports which regulates the softness of sport grounds.

The rules of the sport makes up for the difference for most other techniques, but for some reason the soft ground and the artificial reduction of the effectiveness of judo throws and slams are not considered. It should be in the ruleset that if you slam your opponent on their back (NOT on their ass) then they lose a point for the round. Slamming then becomes more than just a way into ground fighting and we can make up for the difference in the reduction of the damage dealt with such techniques that the sport has to mitigate for the safety of the fighters.

If the octagon canvas were made of concrete, then we all know how hard takedowns would play out.
This is stupid.

I rarely go straight to that place, but really this is a terrible post.

You want to assume away one of the rules of MMA for one aspect of a fight but not the others.

If you're not on a mat that means you also don't have a referee, judges, rules against biting and eye gouging and low blows, etc.

If you're going to have simulated slams on pavement (by awarding points to something that could happen hypothetically) then the fighters should be required to wear solid steel cups and eye protection so that judges can award points for simulated eye gouging and groin strikes, which would also end a "real" fight pretty quick.

I don't know about concrete floors but I would definitely electrify the fence. 90% of the boring time in fights is against the damn fence, a little jolt would make fighters want to get away from having their backs to the fence, and the time that both fighters are pressed against it would be reduced to near zero. Maybe give 5-10 seconds of fence contact before it kicks in.
glue and glass the gloves too. fuck yeah. just bleed.
and the better not be pissing hot. trying to maintain a clean sport here.

Keeping a soft floor but adding a point reduction in the ruleset is still a sport but one that properly rewards techniques that are artificially reduced. It's still a sport just with a better ruleset.
In that case they should have rocks and stuff lying around that fighters can pick up and throw at each other or use as weapons.

Maybe a car in the middle of the ring that they have to navigate around.

The whole point of MMA is that it is a sport contested in a controlled environment.

I understand your point, but you are ignoring the fact that they are also confined to a cage, restricted in what techniques they are allowed to use, etc.

Except, of course, there is literally nothing about it that is dumb and none of you actually have come up with any valid counter arguments to what I'm saying (because there aren't any).
We need to stop. TS isn't even reading the replies.

His dumb idea has been shot down multiple times in multiple ways and he still thinks he hasn't been countered.

I agree with the point on slams. The slam is one of wrestling's most devastating moves and one of the most devastating moves in general. It's up there with a good headkick or hard overhand right. I've argued that for years. I'm not sure if the point deduction is the way to go but I definitely think there should be some way to take it into account..

You seriously want this decision to be made by MMA judges? Do you watch MMA?

They'd be deducting trips and people would constantly complain "that slam wasn't hard enough for a point deduction."

MMA rules need to be as black and white as possible. This is too subjective as @ShakatheG stated.
The ref can do it

We need to stop. TS isn't even reading the replies.

His dumb idea has been shot down multiple times in multiple ways and he still thinks he hasn't been countered.
I have a job and a life. I wasnt able to reply it's not because "its been shot down" because it hasn't been

Last edited:
I agree with you actually. But maybe not a full point. Maybe it should count as 10 significant strikes.
That's a good idea actually, make it worth a bunch of sig. strikes to make it more clear and objective. A whole point is a big loss.

Again, there is no guarantee that a slam whether on a mat or on concrete would have done any damage. Guys get slammed on concrete, suffer no injuries and get back up. There are too many variables at play. To have a blanket 1 point loss for a fighter who gets slammed makes no sense. That would be like giving a fighter a 1 point loss for getting caught in a submission, which would make no sense... unless they tap it doesn't count mate.
Then we should just replace the canvas with concrete because it shouldn't make a difference.

Then we should just replace the canvas with concrete because it shouldn't make a difference.
Dude, you're clutching at straws now.
Just take your L like a man. You lost the argument. Lick your wounds and move on lol

The danger of non padded slams is true. Recently a crazy old guy attacked me at maccas. He had been out the front yelling at anyone entering and decided picking on post gym snack me (all warm still from the sauna) was a good idea because I had met his gaze.

As I sat waiting for my meal he comes over and starts ranting about killing cops and being badass saying “look at me, do I look scared?” until I informed him I was tired of the conversation. He gets up and throws the worlds worst strike (which I easily block).

Now that he was throwing strikes I was technically being assaulted and I wasn’t going to wait around to get poked in the eye by a crack head so I got up as he went to move from side to side like a boxer, forgetting that as the smaller man if he hadn’t stepped back and was within punching range he obviously was in my clinching range, so I grabbed him and elevated, spiking more towards the head (and letting all my weight land atop him) than I ever would do normally.

We hit the ground with a thud and the workers and manager finally run over and pull me off him. He gets ordered out by the manager as I say I won’t be pressing charges, but he needed no encouragement as he stumbled out holding the shoulder we landed on. Blood drops mysteriously on the floor from where he was slammed (from the back of his head? Ears?).

I was lucky not to receive a scratch or get any blood on me but pretty sure the poor guy left with a potential busted shoulder, concussion and or head injury, definitely bleeding, all from one takedown on a hard floor. I got a cheer from the crowd and a free water while I continued to wait for my meal (slowest service ever), I left the money, lighter and tobacco that had fallen out of his pocket where they lay as an offering to the just bleed god.

Back