If a fighter gets slammed hard on the canvas, they should lose a point for the round

Regal Boy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've made threads similar to this, but I was arguing that they should lose the fight outright by TKO if they get dumped on their head or slammed on their back/neck.

The reason that the octagon canvas and other wrestling mats and the mats of combat sports are soft is because we all know that if it were hard like concrete or a hardwood floor or even just dry dirt in the park, then falling and getting slammed could actually kill the fighter if not cause serious damage to them. This is why there are things like G-Max scales and HIC in sports which regulates the softness of sport grounds.

The rules of the sport makes up for the difference for most other techniques, but for some reason the soft ground and the artificial reduction of the effectiveness of judo throws and slams are not considered. It should be in the ruleset that if you slam your opponent on their back (NOT on their ass) then they lose a point for the round. Slamming then becomes more than just a way into ground fighting and we can make up for the difference in the reduction of the damage dealt with such techniques that the sport has to mitigate for the safety of the fighters.

If the octagon canvas were made of concrete, then we all know how hard takedowns would play out.

If you get pushed up against the cage, you should be thrown to the crocodiles that are supposed to be in a moat around the octagon.

If you get pushed up against the cage, you should be thrown to the crocodiles that are supposed to be in a moat around the octagon.
Don't pretend that fights dont happen on hard surfaces, unlike fights with moats and crocodiles.

A fighter slams another fight on their head but the fighter is saved by the softness of the canvas. That isn't right.

if a fighter gets choked out they should kill him cause that's what would happen in a real fight

If you're going this far with it, then there shouldn't be stand-ups and there should be no rounds or time limits.

I've made threads similar to this, but I was arguing that they should lose the fight outright by TKO if they get dumped on their head or slammed on their back/neck.

The reason that the octagon canvas and other wrestling mats and the mats of combat sports are soft is because we all know that if it were hard like concrete or a hardwood floor or even just dry dirt in the park, then falling and getting slammed could actually kill the fighter if not cause serious damage to them. This is why there are things like G-Max scales and HIC in sports which regulates the softness of sport grounds.

The rules of the sport makes up for the difference for most other techniques, but for some reason the soft ground and the artificial reduction of the effectiveness of judo throws and slams are not considered. It should be in the ruleset that if you slam your opponent on their back (NOT on their ass) then they lose a point for the round. Slamming then becomes more than just a way into ground fighting and we can make up for the difference in the reduction of the damage dealt with such techniques that the sport has to mitigate for the safety of the fighters.

If the octagon canvas were made of concrete, then we all know how hard takedowns would play out.
And if they butt scoot while open to soccer kicks / stomps they should lose the fight.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
tumblr_n0flwr6otO1sdqajoo2_400.gifv

If you get teep kicked to the body you should lose a point for the dagger that any true ninja would be concealing between his toes

if a fighter gets choked out they should kill him cause that's what would happen in a real fight
That's the point I'm making. We make up for the artificial reduction of the effectiveness of a choke by letting the fighter tap out, but we DON'T make up for the artificial reduction in the softness of the ground and how that effects takedowns and slams and Ippons. That isn't consistent and isn't right.

Don't pretend that fights dont happen on hard surfaces, unlike fights with moats and crocodiles.

A fighter slams another fight on their head but the fighter is saved by the softness of the canvas. That isn't right.

Do you want more fatalities in fighting? Even wrestling matches and judo bjj occur on padded floors.

Maybe worldstar is the fighting league for you. I want mma fighters to be safe.

I do get that it doesn't simulate a real fight though.

grats. you just stumbled on the difference between sport and street fighting.

T.S is on the spectrum.

There should also be snipers in the stands with paintball guns and if you get hit you lose a point.

Do you want more fatalities in fighting? Even wrestling matches and judo bjj occur on padded floors.

Maybe worldstar is the fighting league for you. I want mma fighters to be safe.
THATS THE POINT IM MAKING. The floors are padded in order to mitigage the otherwise fatal slams that are possible, but then this isnt made up for in the ruleset, which means the most effective damage-dealing techniques that exist in martial arts are just reduced for no reason.

This isn't right for any true fan of martial arts.

...maybe they should lose a point for getting punched in the face...they wear soft gloves, you know...

Back