If a current or ex champ went down in weight

Hypetrainofthemonth

Barbara Palvin
@Brown
Reaction score
And became champion in that weight class, would it hold as much merit as becoming champion at a lower weight classes then going up?

I know the obvious answer should be yes, but Edgar an ex LW champion couldn't grab the FW one. Same with Pettis and the FW interm(even though he didn't even make weight).

I also truly believe DC could've at least grabbed the HW belt, but would've lost to Jones. (Rematch might be different).

Just a bored a curious white belt thread.

no it wouldnt mean as much

I think most guys aren't ready for that cut. Things change. And unless you are just TRULY outsides and too tiny I don't think changing classes is a good thing

I think most guys aren't ready for that cut. Things change. And unless you are just TRULY outsides and too tiny I don't think changing classes is a good thing
So you think LW fits Edgar better even though he makes fw no problem?

I think he lost the speed advantage
True, and to be honest I think he's honestly plateau'd, he's still elite, but I just imo, don't see him becoming champion again or the very least anytime soon. He's the type of dude I hope proves me wrong tho, almost always undersized but will still come to scrap.

People will assume you're a bully who dropped weight to beat up on the little guys. Doesn't carry as much merit as moving UP in weight.

People will assume you're a bully who dropped weight to beat up on the little guys. Doesn't carry as much merit as moving UP in weight.
I see where you're coming from, I just find on this forums people automatically assume the next weight class automatically dominates their lower. Which has been proven on occasions to not go so well.

How about the hypothetical situation of DC winning HW title then dropped down and beat the then argueable GOAT of JJ. And he was the first to hold 2. I use this super never gonna happen scenario because you can't go up after HW, and he makes LHW fine.

True, and to be honest I think he's honestly plateau'd, he's still elite, but I just imo, don't see him becoming champion again or the very least anytime soon. He's the type of dude I hope proves me wrong tho, almost always undersized but will still come to scrap.
Agreed. He's taking a lot of damage

most fighters cut as much weight as they can without hurting their cardio too much as it is

Frankie was able to drop to FW easily because he was barely even a LW but most guys aren't in that position

most fighters cut as much weight as they can without hurting their cardio too much as it is

Frankie was able to drop to FW easily because he was barely even a LW but most guys aren't in that position
Of course, and the ones that can are even rarer of being champion caliber. Well I guess this answers my question. Thanks guys. No more white belt threads from me for a while haha.

So say Edgar won the FW belt first then won the LW belt it'd be more impressive? It's the exact same thing no matter how it happens

It just depends on how much weight you are cutting. Which direction doesn't matter imo. Some fighters go up like Conor and Rumble some go down like Frankie and Machida

So say Edgar won the FW belt first then won the LW belt it'd be more impressive? It's the exact same thing no matter how it happens
IMO yes, because I hold winning a title in any division with the same weight. I know I will be the minority it that. I hold them equal, but I also think would might boil down to level of competition in theiir respective division. I.e. In The hypothetical future, if a higher weight division is shallow, someone wins title, goes Down to a division that would be accepted as "deep".

Randy Couture did it.
Demien Maia is doing a hell of a job he needs a title shot.
Machida tried it.

People cut weight to fight smaller guys, And get easier fights. That is why moving up in weight is more prestigious. And it should be.

People cut weight to fight smaller guys, And get easier fights. That is why moving up in weight is more prestigious. And it should be.
True point, what in the case of a hw champ who cleaned out the division and dropped down? I know this thread is full of hypothetical bs, but alas I am bored at 330am.

Back