If 1mil check doesn’t bounce, will UFC fighter’s deflect to PFL?

no, they aren't.. playoff losers are making 200k for all their 3 fights in the play offs, and they for sure aren't making 300k during regular season

Even with those figures, the payout for just the playoff season was close to 10 million.

Good Guy Shawn deserves that mill

sean-oconnell-gif-mma.gif

Ilir-Latifi-gets-flowers-from-Sean-OConnell.gif

Even with those figures, the payout for just the playoff season was close to 10 million.
i understand, but when you break it down these payouts are being overrated by most, it's a matter of semantics, 200k for 3 fights it's the same as 70k/each, with no win bonus though, and you have to win 2 out of 3
and you also have to consider these finalists fought 5 times in a year, that's tough and not reasonable long-term thinking, many injuries happened through the entire tournament
PFL it's only a good option if the fighter really thinks he can win and go through 5 training camps during the season, it's not SUCH a great career choice all things considered, many PFL fighters still want to sign with UFC (e.g Timur Valiev, Dan Spohn)

i understand, but when you break it down these payouts are being overrated by most, it's a matter of semantics, 200k for 3 fights it's the same as 70k/each, with no win bonus though, and you have to win 2 out of 3
and you also have to consider these finalists fought 5 times in a year, that's tough and not reasonable long-term thinking, many injuries happened through the entire tournament
PFL it's only a good option if the fighter really thinks he can win and go through 5 training camps during the season, it's not SUCH a great career choice all things considered, many PFL fighters still want to sign with UFC (e.g Timur Valiev, Dan Spohn)

If they have sponsors, depending on how much they get paid from sponsors, they could be making a lot more over the course of 5 fights.

How much do you think Ray Cooper would make if he joined the UFC and fought 3 times this year? I doubt it would anywhere near 300k.

If they have sponsors, depending on how much they get paid from sponsors, they could be making a lot more over the course of 5 fights.

How much do you think Ray Cooper would make if he joined the UFC and fought 3 times this year? I doubt it would anywhere near 300k.
Cooper fought 5 times for PFL in 2018. He went 4-1. Let's say he made 80k/fight, which i don't think he did, but ok.
He would have made more in UFC? Maybe not. Thing is, in UFC if you keep winning your payment goes up, and sometimes very fast, depends of how you win fights. In Cooper's case, he's a knockout artist, very fun to watch. Maybe he would receive a great contract, maybe not. The payout ceiling in PFL is clear, in UFC not so much.

PFL is giving fighters options, and they are paying fighters well enough, but if you're an elite and confident fighter IMO your goal should still be the UFC. Really depends of how you see your own skillset.

PFL paid out 5 million dollars last night to a bunch of no names.

Former UFC punching bag Sean O’Connell fought no heart Vinny Mag (who quit on the stool) won the belt and a million dollar check.

Their checks will be fine, they got 28mm in funding for season 2 from guys like Kevin Hart and the owner of the Washington Capitals etc. I think they’ll be alright but I don’t think they’ll be able to produce any returns for guys so I doubt anyone will be back for Season 3.

Stinks, cuz the tournament format is great esp theirs with how they give out points.

This is the only thing I could find:

There will be seven weeks of “regular season” competition, with each fighter guaranteed two fights. These two fights are compensated with traditional “show” and “win” contracts, with each fighter negotiating their own deal, just like traditional MMA pay structure.

PFL 2018 playoffs pay structure
  • Playoff champions: $1 million
  • Playoff runners-up: $200,000
  • Playoff semifinal losers: $100,000
  • Playoff quarterfinal losers: $50,000
No idea what the semifinal/quarterfinal winners get paid.
Thought you got like 10k till the million

With that said, the playoff losers are still making over a half-million dollars for the whole PFL season, still a lot more than they would make in a year with the UFC

no they arent.

those numbers are total prize money, not prize money per round.

So look at it another way....

If you make the playoffs (quarterfinal) you are guaranteed $50k

If you win your quarterfinal match, you get another $50k ($100k total)

If you win your semi final match you get another $100k (So guaranteed $200k)

And if you win the final you get a further $800k (total 1m)

So a losing semifinalist could have had 4 fights (2 league fights, 2 knockout fights), and for that will get about $120-140k total

its not $50k + $100k + $200k

no they arent.

those numbers are total prize money, not prize money per round.

So look at it another way....

If you make the playoffs (quarterfinal) you are guaranteed $50k

If you win your quarterfinal match, you get another $50k ($100k total)

If you win your semi final match you get another $100k (So guaranteed $200k)

And if you win the final you get a further $800k (total 1m)

So a losing semifinalist could have had 4 fights (2 league fights, 2 knockout fights), and for that will get about $120-140k total

its not $50k + $100k + $200k

We already covered this, if you bothered reading the rest of the thread.

Very few UFC fighters make a million a year, if some big names come over the viewers should follow.

That't the long view, sure. I'm skeptical they could draw enough viewers to justify continuing to have these kind of payouts, but I could be wrong.

I said it before and I`ll said it again..... no way this format produces profits, yet

It will depend on whether or not they can get quality competition. Gustafsson should go there tho. 1M/year is better than being a top level gatekeeper in the UFC

If 1mil check doesn’t bounce, will UFC fighter’s deflect to PFL?
What language is this thread title in?

That't the long view, sure. I'm skeptical they could draw enough viewers to justify continuing to have these kind of payouts, but I could be wrong.
I’m sure they don’t currently draw enough to justify the costs. But if they catch the attention of bigger names that know they could win the tournament it’s a step in the right direction.

I’m sure they don’t currently draw enough to justify the costs. But if they catch the attention of bigger names that know they could win the tournament it’s a step in the right direction.

Yeah agree. But it's a race against time too. Investors will only wait so long before they pull the plug.

PFL uses uniforms like the UFC so sponsors might be limited.

If you aren't in the top 10 and getting close to a title shot then yes I can see UFC fighters ending their UFC contracts and going to PFL. Sean O'Connel made more in PFL in 4 fights than he did in the rest of his career combined.

Back