idiot newbs at bjj? help

Why wouldnt you just tell him then and there that we dont grab throats and pull hair in BJJ?

This. The guy should know better, but that's not the point. Just explain that it won't work anyway as a means of preventing the pass and show him why via demonstration, not crushing him in sparring. Then go back to training.

this is known as being a good training partner.

Just don;t roll with them.

They will keep getting schooled by higher belts and quit when they find that their intensity dosn't amout to jack in BJJ.

I always find that super aggresive noobs walk right into triangles and arm bars.

I went to AKA Sunnyvale today to do my first BJJ class and watched (I am not sure what class it was) but it looked like the guys that were rolling were trying to kill each other. I was not there at the right time (class already started) so I have to go back another time, if I decide to pursue it. I am not a pussy but would like to learn some techniques at first...should I go to a non MMA gym or is that just how BJJ works 100% from the start? I am afraid if a more experienced white or blue was going at me 100% just straight scrappin I might accidentally resort to like hair pulling or some BS just cuz I am getting my ass kicked. God I do not want to go to this Japanese Jiu Jitsu class that is literally right outside my door but I did not know how intense "rolling" is...and I knew going in it would be intense. Who knows maybe I am judging b4 I try it and fucking love the intensity...any thoughts?

I went to AKA Sunnyvale today to do my first BJJ class and watched (I am not sure what class it was) but it looked like the guys that were rolling were trying to kill each other. I was not there at the right time (class already started) so I have to go back another time, if I decide to pursue it. I am not a pussy but would like to learn some techniques at first...should I go to a non MMA gym or is that just how BJJ works 100% from the start? I am afraid if a more experienced white or blue was going at me 100% just straight scrappin I might accidentally resort to like hair pulling or some BS just cuz I am getting my ass kicked. God I do not want to go to this Japanese Jiu Jitsu class that is literally right outside my door but I did not know how intense "rolling" is...and I knew going in it would be intense. Who knows maybe I am judging b4 I try it and fucking love the intensity...any thoughts?

I don`t think you have to worry to much. There is always someone better then you, doesn`t mean that they will hurt you. You can always ask your sparringpartner to go light and if you feel it`s to much you can just tap.

how do u guys deal with the super aggresive flailing retards at bjj? the 90%strength 10% technique bjj newbs who are always trying REALLY REALLY hard to win and dont care about injuring you or themselves? Im all about goin with the flow and learning but damn I was passing this guys guard and he kept grabbing me by the throat like ninja status...and i finnaly started to pass and he started to pull my hair so he could recover guard , i was about to just slug him. but yea ..how do u deal w that bulllshit?

hold them down till they get claustrophobic, and then keep holding them down.

Hair pulling lol. What a douchebag. Sometimes u have to hit the dog on the nose a few times for it to stop biting your ankle.

!. Change schools to a non-retard tolerant teacher.

or

2. Adapt to the fact that you need to know how to deal with some one with poor technique but better strength and cardio.

or

3. Don't roll with them.

I don't advice using strikes and pretending it was an accident. That would put you on their level.

For the hair pulling and throat grabbing, tell the guy that stuff like that is not allowed.
At least I hope it is not allowed at your gym.

As for the guy using more strength than technique, there is nothing wrong with that per se. It is just not the most effective means of practicing BJJ. You should be able to deal with someone who is primarily using strength.

!. Change schools to a non-retard tolerant teacher.

or

2. Adapt to the fact that you need to know how to deal with some one with poor technique but better strength and cardio.

or

3. Don't roll with them.

I don't advice using strikes and pretending it was an accident. That would put you on their level.

Very suggestive last sentence with a disclaimer
lol

how do u guys deal with the super aggresive flailing retards at bjj? the 90%strength 10% technique bjj newbs who are always trying REALLY REALLY hard to win and dont care about injuring you or themselves? Im all about goin with the flow and learning but damn I was passing this guys guard and he kept grabbing me by the throat like ninja status...and i finnaly started to pass and he started to pull my hair so he could recover guard , i was about to just slug him. but yea ..how do u deal w that bulllshit?

try this one

YouTube - Andre Galvao - Match One (SportsExtreme Video)

What I love to do when rolling with spaz wrestlers is just pull guard and either arm drag to their back, or scissor sweep since they usually have their center of gravity high and are pressuring on you.

Once you have the back, it will be natural for them to go straight to their knees since they are used to wrestling. Well this is just what you want, use your hooks, underhook, and wrist control to absolutely flatten them out rickson gracie style and just grind under their chin for the choke. I usually like to just sit in this position for awhile while they struggle. If you have good control and a super low base, there is literally nothing they can do.

I like them to think that they have the upper hand and then slap on a kimura or triangle. These specifically because it allows them to get on top which is what they have probably been trying to do for a while.
It gives me some douchebaggy satisfaction in seeing someone who is imagining telling his friends how he beat someone who has been training way longer suddenly see it all go wrong.

I've been rolling with noobs quite a bit lately, guess its just that time of year or whatever but yesterday for the first time I actually wanted to punch someone. The guy has been training for about 2 or 3 weeks.

I drilled with him all class, then we started rolling from the knees at the end of class.

I pulled guard right away so he stood up in closed guard and as I went hug one of his legs to sweep him I was a bit too slow and he walked straight forward to break my guard rolling me over my neck.

I got my head to the side soon enough to prevent major pain, and I cursed myself for allowing that to happen. So I let go of guard and rolled into a crouch and buddy jumped on my back and started grabbing collars and trying to choke me with 100% effort(but no hooks in), giving me a face wash with his brand new gi and generally being unpleasant in his futile attempts. I quickly and easily shucked him over my shoulders and popped out the back, but as soon as I grabbed his waist he stood up, so I stood with him but before I could drag him back down he started crying "stop stop I don't want to get thrown" rather loudly, so I stopped, not wanting to be a complete dick despite my desire for revenge at this point.

So we restarted from the knees, this time as soon as he got grips he stands up and jumps into guard with me still on my knees which is no fun when both guys are upwards of 200 pounds. So he throws up a wild arm bar attempt, and I quickly and easily pass his guard, but as soon as I get to mount he starts crying "stop stop" so I think he must have an injury or something so I get off, then he just says "Oh I don't need you on top of me, I can't deal with it" and goes on like that.

I'm trying to be nice through all this so I talk about how technique is important and even though I'm a big guy I can't for the life of me get the high level guys I out weight by 30-70 pounds off me either and how its all about technique blah blah then thankfully it was time to switch partners.

I was so mad at the audacity of this guy though, the idea that someone would go hard against you but then turn around and as soon as he is in a remotely threatening or uncomfortable position, give up. As if I am just his fucking live grappling dummy or something. There is a mutual respect in martial arts training, when people don't show it, fuck I get pissed off.

Even if the guy is new to martial arts the basic facts of the situation shouldn't be lost on him. I wonder if he feels guilty for being such a bitch.

I wanted to berate the guy and tell him how he will never get anywhere with his attitude and to show respect for the situation, I need to train too, but (and I hate to admit this) I'm getting closer to promotion and I don't want to fuck it up losing my temper on some noob.

Next time he is getting at least a full 5 seconds of full force spread eagle mount...the fucker.... :icon_twis

(just had to get that off my chest)

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty new at BJJ, so people are constantly explaining things to me. I'm not a hair-puller or anything, but I do expend a lot of energy up front and burn out quickly.... I don't know any different. The guys in my class that I'm rolling with are sure to let me know to relax, breathe, take it easy, don't crank that armbar so hard, stop right here and rest for a few seconds, stuff like that. Nobody takes it as a personal flaw, I just need to learn what's acceptable and what's not acceptable. The input I get from the other guys is definitely appreciated, and it has made a huge difference in both the experience and the learning curve.

Back