idiot newbs at bjj? help

thedoc56**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
how do u guys deal with the super aggresive flailing retards at bjj? the 90%strength 10% technique bjj newbs who are always trying REALLY REALLY hard to win and dont care about injuring you or themselves? Im all about goin with the flow and learning but damn I was passing this guys guard and he kept grabbing me by the throat like ninja status...and i finnaly started to pass and he started to pull my hair so he could recover guard , i was about to just slug him. but yea ..how do u deal w that bulllshit?

I'm going start bjj soon. Hopefully i won't be like this haha. I usually make sure when i roll with someone they are alright. But yea sucks if your rolling with a stiff person.

#1 - Posting on your opponent's neck/head is an effective way to defend a guard pass.

#2 - Tell this person what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in training. As someone more experienced, it's your responsibility to educate him.

#3 - Don't forget that you were a noob once too, and you probably made similar mistakes from being overly-aggressive. No need to dismiss him off as an 'idiot retard'...he may actually be a useful training partner to have in terms of realism. Realistically, he's probably doing what most "average joes" would do in a grappling situation, so you have to learn to deal with his aggressiveness and shut it down.

lol when someone is being super aggresive, I just like to teaching them a BJJ lesson hehe

forget about the newbs, they will get better. should worry more about high belts doing bad stuff my friend who is a white belt trained with a judo black belt, and they were practicing throws and somehow ended up with a really bad bruise on his right arm tricep area like a little bigger than 2 inches diameter, shit was purple and yellow with white dots on it, and this was 2 days ago. I'm guessing its from gripping the gi, one hand lapel one hand under arm because it was perfect area and size from someone's hand but still what the hell? friend also said the bb was very stiff and acted like this was competition ON A WHITE BELT

Lots of chokes. LoL. Followed by "Nope, time's still running. Let's keep rolling".

Hair-pulling tho.. I'd straight call him out on that.

#1 - Posting on your opponent's neck/head is an effective way to defend a guard pass.

#2 - Tell this person what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in training. As someone more experienced, it's your responsibility to educate him.

#3 - Don't forget that you were a noob once too, and you probably made similar mistakes from being overly-aggressive. No need to dismiss him off as an 'idiot retard'...he may actually be a useful training partner to have in terms of realism. Realistically, he's probably doing what most "average joes" would do in a grappling situation, so you have to learn to deal with his aggressiveness and shut it down.
This...or knee on face

yea, no hair pulling lol... Honestly as you climb the jiu jitsu ladder your going to encounter a ton of these. I usually try to be as calm as possible and get into a position (such as mount, side control, knee on stomach, etc.) where I can let them flail like an idiot, but at the same time make them feel fairly helpless... wait for them to gas, then start working the magic. Hopefully as time goes on, they realize you aren't doing much to control them, and they get that technique > strength.

Be an adult, stop the roll and say "That isn't allowed. And if you keep doing it, someone with less restraint is going to hurt you.". We were all newbies once.

Some good replies here.

Definatley be the mature one about it. Explain the rules and teach them the right way.

If it continues, let your instructors deal with it.

how do u guys deal with the super aggresive flailing retards at bjj? the 90%strength 10% technique bjj newbs who are always trying REALLY REALLY hard to win and dont care about injuring you or themselves? Im all about goin with the flow and learning but damn I was passing this guys guard and he kept grabbing me by the throat like ninja status...and i finnaly started to pass and he started to pull my hair so he could recover guard , i was about to just slug him. but yea ..how do u deal w that bulllshit?

If your hair is long enough to pull, serves you right, hippie.

Something I'll use if I really have to when passing (if they're being a bit cheeky) forearm to the throat works a charm. Or just pass the guard and switch a lot between mount, side and north south, which will give a lot of friction on the collars / neck / face.

The best thing to do is to tell them what is and isn't allowed. If they keep doing something ilegAl put them in the moat painful submission(kimura works good)

I am wierd that I like to roll with people like this. I think it's a great way to test my abilities. If I can't control the guy then I need a lot of work.

Plus I'm decently strong and can often grind these types down.

Just remember what you've been taught and try to apply it. Your instructor may have noticed and not said anything in hopes that what he has taught you will get you out of trouble and teach the guy a lesson.

First, if you get better, these people will fall into your trap more. Second, sometimes Jiu-Jitsu can mean the not-so-gentle art. Quickly executed sweeps, KOB, etc. There's a few threads about handling spazzes, but first you need to be about a belt higher than the other guy.

If your hair is long enough to pull, serves you right, hippie.

LoL

Some good replies here.

Definatley be the mature one about it. Explain the rules and teach them the right way.

If it continues, let your instructors deal with it.

this is great advice. If it is a prolonged problem your instructor will address the issue. (or should anyway :D )

Back