Ideas on how to stop women getting stoned to death in the Middle East

Because they aren't living in 2014 with you man. They are living in 1200. I always think its odd when some people try to compare all the religions and claim they are the same. They aren't the same and Islam does a helluva lot of screwed up stuff. I don't even want to start listing all the things that they do that is disgusting.

Every religion does terrible things now or in the past.

The difference is Islam changed many centuries ago and stopped being progressive and became more conservative. This has stifled the development in places where it is common.

I remember reading an article by a Pakistani writer complaining, after the disastrous 2010 Pakistan floods, that there seemed to be no global push to aid the Pakistanis similar to what you saw emerge after the Southeast Asian tsunami. Can't find that article, but here's a similar one.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/10/pakistan-flood-international-aid

And you wonder why? It's almost as though the Pakistanis aren't *grateful* for such aid, almost as though they *don't deserve it*, almost as though they *hate and despise the people giving them the aid.* Again though, that attitude has less to do with Pakistan being Islamic and more to do with it being basically the worst country on earth.

Many doctors / medical professionals trying to eradicate polio (in the Pashtun areas) have been killed by Taleban/Pashtun assassins. Consequently Polio has not been eradicated in Pakistan. Either Pak is the only nation in the world where Polio still poses a threat or it is one of 2 nations (Nigeria being the other) .

Some months back I read about the resurgence of Polio amongst children in Syria, the strain was traced to Pakistan; I think we all know how it got to Syria.

In this case, the doctor belonged to the Ahmadyia community; news has lately been chock full of cases of Sunni Islamists killing and cleasing the country of non Sunnis. Ahmadis are not allowed to vote in Pakistan.

Well, it is the islamists who turned the middle east into a hell hole. Countries like Syria and Iraq did not have stoning before islamists took grip.

And Pakistan is not part of the middle east and has historically and culturally very little to do with the middle east.

Make them read the Quran and then ask to point out where it mentions stoning.

To you who hasn't read it, it doesn't mention stoning anywhere

This is one area the PC crowd has it wrong, people need to just realize the middle east is the arm pit of the world...

People living like 5th century heretics as the world is moving closer to 2020...

Why so sexist?

What about the men getting stoned?

and how is stoning different to other forms of the death penalty?

Seems like a very specific thing to get pissed at

As for OP's story, yes, it's disgusting, hopefully everyone involved will get what's coming to them

This is one area the PC crowd has it wrong, people need to just realize the middle east is the arm pit of the world...

People living like 5th century heretics as the world is moving closer to 2020...

Money > Philosophy

dubai-02.jpg

I really wouldn't care if the whole culture was completely destroyed. I don't feel it adds anything of value to the planet at all. Bunch of fucking dirtbags, in my opinion.

A-men.

The one saving grace of Israel is that they're surrounded by even bigger pieces of shit.

Every religion does terrible things now or in the past.

The difference is Islam changed many centuries ago and stopped being progressive and became more conservative. This has stifled the development in places where it is common.

This. Christianity was the excuse for some appalling shit; the Inquisition, the Thirty Years War, the Northern Crusades etc etc. But over time, Christians eventually grew up and, with a few notable exceptions, stopped torturing and killing people in the name of their religion.

The problem with Islam is that a significant percentage of it's followers are still stuck in the Dark Ages.

Why shouldn't you criticize the religion itself? Is it beyond reproach?

couple reasons why imo

1. all religions have fucked up parts
2. when you come down too hard on a given religion, what does that mean for the majority of believers who are not the crazies.

it seems to me that when especially on this site, there are too many 'all muslims' arguments.

This. Christianity was the excuse for some appalling shit; the Inquisition, the Thirty Years War, the Northern Crusades etc etc. But over time, Christians eventually grew up and, with a few notable exceptions, stopped torturing and killing people in the name of their religion.

The problem with Islam is that a significant percentage of it's followers are still stuck in the Dark Ages.

With Pakistan it actually got worse, as reading their history it seems they were less radicalized during their founding as a nation. The ethnic cleansing of minorities has taken an real upswing the past decade.

couple reasons why imo

1. all religions have fucked up parts
2. when you come down too hard on a given religion, what does that mean for the majority of believers who are not the crazies.

it seems to me that when especially on this site, there are too many 'all muslims' arguments.

All religions aren't equally fucking up the world. Some religions have moved from their barbaric ways and some relish in keeping them. I've said it before, it is Islam the religion that is the problem and not the people necessarily. The ones who are tolerant are the ones who aren't actually following their religion strictly.

All religions aren't equally fucking up the world. Some religions have moved from their barbaric ways and some relish in keeping them. I've said it before, it is Islam the religion that is the problem and not the people necessarily. The ones who are tolerant are the ones who aren't actually following their religion strictly.

with all due respect, your post demonstrates you do not get my point.

Religion is neither good nor bad, nor can it affect anything. It the believers of said religion, unfortunately usually the extremists that cause the problems.

Islam can be used for just as much positive and good as christen/jew beliers.

with all due respect, your post demonstrates you do not get my point.

Religion is neither good nor bad, nor can it affect anything. It the believers of said religion, unfortunately usually the extremists that cause the problems.

Islam can be used for just as much positive and good as christen/jew beliers.

Actually Religion can brainwash people into doing horrible shit, so religon can be good or bad and it can and does effect people . Islam is at its core intolerant and supremacist, and its believers take it seriously enough for it to be a problem.

Actually Religion can brainwash people into doing horrible shit, so religon can be good or bad and it can and does effect people . Islam is at its core intolerant and supremacist, and its believers take it seriously enough for it to be a problem.

You're still missing his point.

For religion to brainwash people there must be a person leading the brainwashing. That person can choose how they teach the religion - if they choose to teach violence then violence will be the outcome. If they choose to teach peace then peace will be the outcome.

It's not the religion. it's the people communicating it to others.

this is 99% of the problem

Intolerant such as worship no false idols

I'd come in here to make a point about economic equality between the sexes and got sidetracked by religion.

Most of these archaic rules about the positions of women in society that lead to them getting punished for being normal find their roots in the outdated societies where women aren't self-sufficient. These makes them an economic burden on their families and limits their value to the roles of mothers and wives.

Since their value is so limited, the society has to create rules to preserve her reproductive exclusivity to the man who chooses to take on that woman and her economic burden. Let that go on for a few hundred/thousand years and here we are.

So, the best way to keep women from getting stoned? Let them achieve economic equality in those societies.

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-woman-stoned-death-family-marrying-man-she-101415740.html

Ideas on how to stop women getting stoned to death in the Middle East

For choosing her own life partner. Hmmm, first the Filipino maid, and now this, and I remember hearing other horrendous coming and goings reaching as far back as to when I was old enough to watch the news on TV.

Maybe all of it has been sensationalize, and designed to paint these people as demonic.

It is not sensationalized, this is how it is over there.

How to get it to stop? It never fully will, as we still have maniacs over here in the US killing people over dumb shit. How to get this behavior universally condemned as a society? That's the trick.

It is going to be hard to do with a culture that believes such acts are divinely inspired. How do you compete against their God? You cannot overcome their stone age religiously poisoned mentality with reason and logic. Not yet.

To begin the seeds of change will require religious argument to be presented in opposition to such acts. You need to be able to convince the populace that it is AGAINST God's Will to commit such atrocities. This means that we would need a large and ever growing public outrage, condemnation, and legal repercussions in response to each and every one of these acts. Build up the voice of the people and religious leaders in opposition to such things.

How do you accomplish this in that culture? Women are essentially property and men rule everything. How do you convince men to give up their power over women? How do you elevate the status of women in these societies when they are so harshly ruled and treated as if it is the right of man? These men do not even take responsibility for their own actions as they scapegoat everything else - particularly women.

Women are ordered to cover up because a man might be tempted by the sight of flesh, and if this happens it is the WOMANS FAULT, as if these men are nothing but fax machines, where information goes in and the same information goes out - no choice in the matter. Instead of taking responsibility for their own actions, their own weaknesses and their own choices they will instead hold women accountable.

How to you change THAT?

The empowerment of women is a huge part of the solution, but why would these men give that up? They enjoy full control over their women and can do with them as they please. Do you really think they are going to so easily let go of this? The trick is figuring out how to empower women in their culture and then to have religious leaders and the public rise up in universal condemnation of such acts - to which are also punishable by law. After several generations of this we might see a drastic improvement in the lives of women in these cultures - and of everyone!

1. Empower women with equal rights
  2. Religious leaders lead religious opposition to the maltreatment of women and children
  3. The law of the land to condemn such atrocious violations of human rights

first of all i never said any of those countries are evil , only the Zionist state of Israel.there is too much bashing of Muslim cultures on sherdog and when someone says anything bad about Israel, people defend them and the thread get deleted or moved along to wasteland too quickly.

Then defend the Muslim Cultures yourself.

You want to know an easy way to determine if someone is full of shit? If they are easily butthurt or flustered in an argument. That is a direct indication that the person on some level internally grasps the weakness of their own argument, however they still cling desperately to it, stubbornly refusing to let it go. They may storm off or result to hurling insults unsupported by argument, repeat the same defeated argument, and so on.

If you find yourself frustrated at the level of animosity towards Muslim Culture then defend it. If you have truth on your side then you - even alone - will easily be able to defend it. If you cannot, and if you find yourself wanting to lash out or storm off, then you probably have shit for reasoning behind your stance. In otherwords, you're likely dead wrong and just too stubborn to acknowledge it.

Back