Ideas for S&C for Boxing?

jackjohnson

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
At the gym we do alot of the traditional floor exercises.
However, on my own i usually benchpress, deadlift and squat.
I want to stop benching as it is causing me to bulk up and put on weight.
Any ideas on what i should do to keep strong whilst keeping weight low

Weight gain is caused by diet so stop eating so much. Bench on it's own won't cause you to gain weight and get bigger.

For strength training you are on the right track. If you aren't already you should add in some upper body pulls, specifically rows or chins/pull-ups. Stick to compound lifts done heavy for relatively low reps.

Do strength sets 5 and under, or endurance sets 15 and over, so you dont support hypertrophy

Weight gain is caused by diet so stop eating so much. Bench on it's own won't cause you to gain weight and get bigger.

However it only takes 600 calories to gain a lb of muscle as opposed to roughly 3500 for a lb of fat, so someone who does a bb routine will gain more weight on the same surplus

Listen to Chuck Bass, but toss the endurance sets.

I compete in amatuer boxing. For strength work I do 5/3/1 which focuses on squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press. Reps range usually 3-5 with some sets stopping just short of failure.

You would do well to spend some time going over the FAQ, to learn the basics of strength training.

Yeah first of all I heard it was more like 1600. And that number doesn't have to do with gaining muscle, it's the caloric value of one pound of muscle when your body consumes it for fuel.

Rossboxing is a great source, he's super hardcore.
Any of the MMA conditioning books will also serve you well.
Run thru the FAQ again.

I do a lot of HIIT with sport specific motions (like 1-2 punching, stance drills, burpees) and other stuff like skipping rope in a running fashion with high knees, sprinting/jogging intervals, etc.

One of my current favorites is to get on the bag (heavier is better) and throw 4 straight punches (lead, power, lead, power or L,R,L,R if you're orthodox, you get it...) at full length. Don't creep forward onto your front foot to counter-act the bag, just snap your punches at your max distance. The bag will swing away after the combination, when it swings back, drop 4 more. Focus on speed and reach, not power. This one makes me sick to my stomach after the 3rd round, I usually have to take a break afterwards. A pro taught me, he does like 5 or 6 rounds of this with a hook on the end. He claims he's "out of shape".

EDIT:

Jeff Fenech has a few good videos to start with

Last edited:
Do strength sets 5 and under, or endurance sets 15 and over, so you dont support hypertrophy

However it only takes 600 calories to gain a lb of muscle as opposed to roughly 3500 for a lb of fat, so someone who does a bb routine will gain more weight on the same surplus

That's not true, they're both 3500. If there's one thing I learned from getting my CPT, it was that.

And it's on a per week type deal. Takes about 3500kcal over a week to keep one lb of fat or muscle.

Nope. It's 3500 over maintenance both ways.

At the gym we do alot of the traditional floor exercises.
However, on my own i usually benchpress, deadlift and squat.
I want to stop benching as it is causing me to bulk up and put on weight.
Any ideas on what i should do to keep strong whilst keeping weight low

'Bulk' is all down to diet. If you are getting too big just eat less, that way you can continue to get the strength and power benefits of benching. But Strength training is only part of a whole S&C program

For strength training you are on the right track. If you aren't already you should add in someecifically rows or chins/pull-ups. Stick to compound lifts done heavy for relatively low reps.
upper body pulls, sp

I forgot to add that i do these + dips, captain chairs as well

post your program

run approx. 16miles per week
boxing gym mon - fri ( mon,tues,weds,thurs,)
I do my own S&C on sat/sun pushups,situps,pullups,tuck jumps if im at home or your regular gym exercises if i bother go to gym

'Bulk' is all down to diet. If you are getting too big just eat less, that way you can continue to get the strength and power benefits of benching. But Strength training is only part of a whole S&C program

Think benching can help me with my boxing?

Even though 1 kilogram of muscle is roughly 700 calories, it takes more energy then that to synthesize it.

Think benching can help me with my boxing?

If its part of a good overall s&c program with proper planning, sure. I guess it depends where your weak spot is, but if you lack punching power, benching is one of the most effective training tools. Build up a good strength base, and then work on translating that strength into better punching through speed / power work.

Back