Ideal scenario Overeem needs to win the belt? Which champ does he match the best with?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Oceanmachine, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

He likely needs 1 more win to get a title shot. Who would be the best fight he is most likely to win?

And who as Champ is he most likely to beat?

I am of the opinion Ngannou is the hardest for Overeem to game plan for now that he isnt Ubereem anymore and cant out strength Ngannou but also that Ngannou has wicked hands and power and that Ngannou can take a beating and has good takedown defense. Stipe isnt a 1 shot KO machine as much.

While Stipe is more technical I feel Overeem would have a much better chance at catching Stips.

PharoahHeight and Vegeta like this.
  2. TheHolyWarAngel Banned Banned

Considering he knocked stipe down in their fight id say him, he has some sort of a shot there, ngannou is too unorthodox for him

Rizin, Vegeta, FWRGeorgie and 7 others like this.
  3. Sweater of AV Silver Belt

Alistair ideally needs Blaydes, Big Frank, and Stipe to retire.

PharoahHeight and SKYNET like this.
  4. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

Its crazy how much styles make fights. Overeem has good takedown defense. Only 280lbs elite wrestler Blaydes who happens to also be able to take most that Overeem hit him with could take EcoReem down. And Overeem has since trained with Blayfes to improve his wrestling. However, I doubt Ubereem would of been taken down by Blaydes. 25lbs of muscle and freakish strength goes a long way in your ability to get back up and to reverde or shove off in the clinch. Similar to how Derick Lewis is always able to stand up or survive largely on the ground. Just too big

But I agree he needs Stipe or someone who isnt Blaydes or Ngannou to be the champ.

5. Shoyorollplayboy White Belt

I hope he fights Lewis and earns a title shot, I really believe he can beat Stipe!

6. WHITE ANDERSON Black Belt

he already beat stipe once but the ref didn't see the tap
    i think overeem beats him again in a rematch

Vegeta and Kwic like this.
  7. KnockoutArtist White Belt

Beat Rozenstruik; Blaydes puts in 5 round lacklustre performance vs Lewis; Jones decides to actually move to heavyweight but doesn't do so until towards the end of next year leaving a gap early/ middle of next year for a title fight following Stipe and NGannou in December of this year.

8. Get To Da Choppa Purple Belt

The best way is to welcome Jones to the HW in the battle of horse meat vs picogram. Jones is a huge name, and if the Reem wins decisively the public will be behind him to get a title shot. We all know the UFC is about making more money. Once he gets there he better hope it's still Stipe that's the champ

[​IMG]

Bobby Pistachio and Oceanmachine like this.
  9. King in the North Black Belt

I think Overeem could potentially beat Stipe in a rematch. I could also see him getting slept again. I don’t think he beats Ngannou or Blaydes.

10. pick999 Gold Belt

i dont think he can beat stipe..once it gets to the ground hes done likely

BOB MIOČIĆ likes this.
  11. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

Based on what? Stipe will have a hard time getting him to the ground and isnt a submission expert. It has to be ground and pound

12. smooth assassin Brown Belt

Ideal situation would be stipe, Ngannou, rosenstruick, And now jon Jones would all be on a plane together celebrating they’re hold on the top ranks in the heavyweight division, until ...

Goldentrophy likes this.
  13. g*r*b Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband

That's the kind of thinking people were using to say Stipe would lose the second match against Cormier...but the same king of punch that KO'd him the first time was withstood easily the second and third, because he was now on the lookout for it. Stipe was lulled into inattention and didn't reset crisply enough from jogging after Overeem, making him unprepared for the punch that floored him. I doubt he'd fall for the same thing in a rematch. And Overeem's latest style seems particularly illsuited to match with Stipe. Waiting until your opponent tires himself out then putting the wrestling moves on them? Stipe has the better cardio AND wrestling.

14. Brca031 Noone wins the lottery twice.

[​IMG]
    If you look at it...Stipe wasn't close to lights out from that punch...just got caught nappin in the range of Reem...
    WE all know what happened later on....Stipe bounced his head of the canvas like he was Lebron James.
    [​IMG]
    I wont even mention Reem running blatantly for his life.

pseto223, BOB MIOČIĆ and HHJ like this.
  15. HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Id like to see it,but i dont think he can do it in 3 fights (what he has left on his contract)

16. HHJ Fedor Supremacist

He knocked stipe down like 4 yrs ago. He hasnt gotten better since then. Stipe tho has maintained pretty well.

pseto223 likes this.
  17. HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Alistair's gameplan for the stipe fight was kinda weird. He would run and then try to catch stipe coming in when stipe would give chase. But Alistair didnt seem fast enough to really make that work,and when he got hit,he got real sloppy and fell apart.

Brca031 likes this.
  18. BOB MIOČIĆ White Belt

you're blind ?!! ... that you didn't get stabbed in the eye before the fight

19. spinup Purple Belt

No. The title shot queue is totally jammed, there will be Jones, Ngannou and Blaydes or Lewis before him. So that's at least 18 months.
    And by that times, some prospcts like Gane will likely also be contenders.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  20. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

Did you not read the thread? this is about what ideal scenario he needs.