Id really like to see Minakov vs Kongo 2 for the vacant belt

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by jamesgalb, Aug 31, 2018.

1. jamesgalb Green Belt

Minakov vs Kongo 2 for the vacant belt.

Then you can have the GP winner go against a legit HW Champion in a Bellator super-fight.

2. GueseGuy Brown Belt

Would be cool but first fight was a shitfest. Can’t get too excited about it.

3. mime Black Belt

i could see the fight being setup but they wouldnt do it for the belt because it would take away from the GP they invested so much in. Winner would fight the winner of the GP so from a fans POV it would be like a title unification fight anyway

4. Go Go Plata Black Belt

I'd love to see Minakov brought into the cage with his old belt as he stares down the HWGP winner with their belt.

5. qw3rty PM me for free filler-room uppercuts

So do you enjoy sado?
    <Kpop775>

6. jamesgalb Green Belt

I actually enjoyed the first fight. Not high-tempo, but definitely an evenly matched slug fest.

Thats what I'm talking about!

7. Mmmmmmma1234 Black Belt

This would literally be the dumbest move in mma history. They've already have a HW tournament for the belt with guys as good or better then Kongo who wasn't even set as an alternate NOW you'd like them to take back their investment in the GP, so Minakov can rematch this bum and get the title from it.
    <Deported1>

8. jamesgalb Green Belt

I think it would add to the excitement of the HWGP. The knowledge of the future Champion vs Champion match would add a lot of drama and anticipation to the final GP fight..... Minakov is likely going to be fighting the winner anyways, so why not angle it as something big like Champion vs Champion? Technically he never lost his title, so its reasonable to let him fight for it against someone like Kongo or Cro-Cop on a streak.

9. AGEZ909 Black Belt

Wouldn’t make sense

First fight wasn’t all that great either. Minakov won the first two rounds but gassed, so it turned into a grapple fest iirc.

Wasn’t really a good fight.

10. InfinityLens Black Belt

I agree it would be dumb but Kongo not being involved in this tourney was a travesty.

11. CDF47 Gold Belt

I'd rather just see Minakov come back and fight the winner of the HW GP. Like mentioned above, he could be brought in the cage to face-off with the winner of the GP with his old belt and the new winner with the new belt. I know Coker said he plans on having Minakov have a fight first so if that is the case, I'd rather just see them wait it out.

12. FKA AZ Hotshots/OAK Raiders/That Bellator guy Banned

Yeah TS your in the EXTREME minority...

Minakov deserves shit after turning his back on the belt for years.

13. MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

Kongo is facing Timothy Johnson in October. I don’t see the need of minakov beating Kongo again...

I’ll say Minakov vs Frank Mir next and vs the winner of the gp after...

14. CDF47 Gold Belt

Mir fight is way more interesting than Kongo in my opinion as well.

15. JkMMA Brown Belt

? From what I remember, the figt was pretty decent.

16. SRN SOCRATEEEES

Their fight was awful but according to Vitaly he had injured his shoulder and couldnt do much during the fight. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I prefer to believe when a fighter says he was injured. I see it as him justifying his perfomance rather than making excusses so in that case I would be okay with a rematch.

17. Mob69 Black Belt

Minakov should ideally face the GP winner, most likely Bader, in 2019. No need for a fight with Kongo.

18. Mob69 Black Belt

One could argue that the tournament itself is a travesty.

Features the ghost of Fedor and the ghost of Frank Mir. Not to mention over the hill Roy Nelson and King Mo. Oh and the ghost of a natural LHW in Rampage. Matt Mitrione. Will probably be won by a natural LHW in Bader. Includes a natural MW in Chael Sonnen. Basically an embarrassment that has completely failed to culture the attention of the MMA community. Thankfully the WW GP should be a lot better.

The problem with modern tournaments is that they drag on for too long. The fact that they can’t be resolved in one night, or perhaps at two events three months apart, means that the momentum just fizzles out. I have a feeling that will happen to the WW GP too.

19. InfinityLens Black Belt

Honestly why I don't like these multi month GP's (or tourney's) in general.

20. Fahrenheit1221 Gold Belt

I'd love to see Fedor/Minakov if Fedor somehow wins the tournament. Chael ain't beating Fedor and Mitrione/Bader. Maybe Fedor, but I don't see him beating Mitrione or Bader. Minakov would kill Fedor at this stage of Fedor's career but it would be a cool win to have on an undefeated resume.