I'd rather see Josh Barnett vs Frank Mir than Cormier

Absolutely. If Cormier wants to fight Jones in the fall, he should start by fighting a top 10 LHW in April. I mean he was 230lbs for the fight last night, obviously without any cutting. Id guess most LHW's probably are at 220-225lbs before their cut, so Cormier isn't far off from being able to make 205er. I understand he can't cut like others do anymore, but given the amount he has to train, he could operate at a 1000 cal a day deficit, lose two pounds a week, and be down 15lbs by April, or at 215lbs before a smaller cut.

I actually want to see both. I saw win or lose, Mir should fight Barnett next.

Absolutely. If Cormier wants to fight Jones in the fall, he should start by fighting a top 10 LHW in April. I mean he was 230lbs for the fight last night, obviously without any cutting. Id guess most LHW's probably are at 220-225lbs before their cut, so Cormier isn't far off from being able to make 205er. I understand he can't cut like others do anymore, but given the amount he has to train, he could operate at a 1000 cal a day deficit, lose two pounds a week, and be down 15lbs by April, or at 215lbs before a smaller cut.

I think he doesn't want to cut too much for the Mir fight. Mir could come in at he higher 265 end and you don't want to be thinking about cutting for the fight after before you finish Mir.

I agree on a Barnett/Mir match-up.

If Cormier is going down in weight it makes no sense to go after Mir. I would set him up against a top 15 LHW for his first fight and see if he is a viable contender at 205.

Back