I'd rather see a 4-rounder with guys going all-out, then 5 where guys pace themselves

You're right, a 20 min fight is brutal, but adding 5 more minutes is significant. Going from 20 to 25 is like adding another 6.55 miles to a marathon (25% increase). That would obviously change the pace of the race.

Lets not go with "well this other sport blah blah blah", this is MMA.

If that were remotely true, than how come we don't see a significant difference between the pacing in most 15 min fights vs. 25 minute affairs?

The dumbasses here make trolling possible. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
I was serious. There are multiple ways to solve potential draws. Such as having the judges give the fight as a whole to a fighter. It's not a huge obstacle.

Lets not go with "well this other sport blah blah blah", this is MMA.

If that were remotely true, than how come we don't see a significant difference between the pacing in most 15 min fights vs. 25 minute affairs?
Multiple fighters have said that pacing yourself and meting our your energy is necessary in a 25-minute fight. If this is true, then I'd rather have them fight less time with less necessary pacing.

And we would have a lot of draws, so no, thanks. I prefer 5 round title fights and main events.

I've come to the conclusion that 5-round fights often aren't as interesting to me because guys often seem to "pace themselves" to last the distance, which results in more lukewarm action. Hendricks has said outright that he does this.

Honestly, I'd rather see a title fight scheduled for 4-rounds, where guys go much harder, then 5 lukewarm ones.

What say you?

If the first two fights were 4 rounds each then they would have both been draws. Having an even number of rounds is a bad idea.

Multiple fighters have said that pacing yourself and meting our your energy is necessary in a 25-minute fight. If this is true, then I'd rather have them fight less time with less necessary pacing.

Of course it is. It's necessary for a 15 minute fight as well.

That's why it makes no sense than 20 minutes would somehow be this gigantic difference vs. a 25 minute fight when we ALREADY don't see it as the case when they go for 15.

Of course it is. It's necessary for a 15 minute fight as well.

That's why it makes no sense than 20 minutes would somehow be this gigantic difference vs. a 25 minute fight when we ALREADY don't see it as the case when they go for 15.
They say that the 25-minute fight requires an additional amount of pacing. See the Sonnen video. He even says 25-minutes is too much.

I'd rather see guys come in shape for a 5 rounder instead of bigrigging the last round.

4 rounders sounds pretty cool, but will it increase the draws:?

I've come to the conclusion that 5-round fights often aren't as interesting to me because guys often seem to "pace themselves" to last the distance, which results in more lukewarm action. Hendricks has said outright that he does this.

Honestly, I'd rather see a title fight scheduled for 4-rounds, where guys go much harder, then 5 lukewarm ones.

What say you?

Enjoy half the fights ending in a draw

Unless the effort lasts 10 seconds, athletes always have to "pace themselves".

Still, I'm having a charitable day, hence I grant that your desire to have faster paced action at the expense of shorter durations is not total nonsense. Why 4 rounds though? Why not 3? If it's 3 rounds, they can go at an even faster pace.

No rounds. I don't care if you pace or not. Royce vs Saku is still the purist high-level MMA bout I've ever seen.

Unless the effort lasts 10 seconds, athletes always have to "pace themselves".

Still, I'm having a charitable day, hence I grant that your desire to have faster paced action at the expense of shorter durations is not total nonsense. Why 4 rounds though? Why not 3? If it's 3 rounds, they can go at an even faster pace.
1. Pacing yourself refers specifically to fighting in a manner that isn't your best or energetically most effective, as opposed to fighting without regarding to time and focusing only on getting a stoppage. This is a standard meaning. Which is what we use for communication.

2. People feel that championship matches are more special, and they want to have more decisive results, but not all fights can take up that much time. Which is why the championship and main event matches were extended, to reduce the influence of chance in the most important fights while still keeping the others within a reasonable time frame. I think this makes sense, so I agree with granting more time for main event and championship fights as an idea, I just think a single additional round might keep those benefits without sacrificing action.

I think the answer is shorter rounds, not less rounds. 3 minute rounds would allow fighters to fight at a faster pace knowing they have a break coming sooner. I also think the break in-between rounds should be 1:30 instead of 1 MIN.

Too many ties would result in 4 rd fights ts. Its either 3 or 5.

Back