I'd Rather Have MMA Stay As It Is Than Get Watered Down Just To Be More Mainstream

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There are posters here who believe that anything that makes MMA more mainstream is for the best and that hardcore fans are ignorant because they don't care about what the mainstream wants and only care that the sport remain the way they like it. We've already lost a good deal of the realism of the sport.

This started as NHB - No Holds Barred Fighting. The objective was to be the best fighter and be willing to take on any size opponent in order to prove you are the best. Now we have champions who won't fight anybody that is 10 or 15 pounds more than they are. Think of the fights that made us miss such as GSP vs. Anderson Silva! They have added so many rules that two of the biggest tools that a ground and pound style fighter had - headbutts and knees to the head of a grounded opponent have been outlawed. That makes the fights less realistic and plenty of other rules have also been added with the outcome of making the sport less realistic. Sanitizing the sport to appeal to those with weak stomachs will eventually make MMA not even worth watching if more and more restrictions are placed on what fighters can do.

I'm against what USADA is doing now as well. What started as an effort to get steroids out of the sport has now grown into a monster that is even denying fighters the right to make use of medical advances that any regular citizen can take advantage of and showing up unannounced parked in your driveway in unmarked cars with not even a uniform identifying these people as people who make their living by trying to prove that you are a drug user and a cheater is bound to end in tragedy. Our country was based upon the belief that we are allowed the right to be treated as innocent unless proven guilty. USADA has completely perverted this tenet of American freedom.

Stopped reading after "used to be NHB "

NFL players used to have leather helmets.

NBA players wore short shorts for decades.

Hockey skates used to be jagged and rusty.

Yeah dude that past is always better where the time machine weewooweewooowreeooopwowooeeoeoeoe

Yes too many rules ruining the sport....lets keep it simple with a select following....fuck the main stream fans and their WWE expectations

I just wish they would get rid of the grounded opponent rules, because they are ridiculous and abused.

I also think as the fighters become more skilled, we should have more 5 round fights. Maybe even more rounds than that so that the fighters can start focusing on some defense.

and your comment on USADA...lol. This sport has always had steroids in it, from day one. In my opinion they should never get rid of steroids. Steroids are medicines designed to build up and strengthen your body. Who knows what unintended consequences we're going to reap from guys taking 10-20+ years of unmitigated damage on their body and head with nothing to help them heal.

Other than that...this is the fight game. The sport will always be as real as it gets, no matter what gets layered on top of it. Well, as long as more rules to "protect" the fighters don't get added. No matter what you add to the sport it is always a fight....something that Mcgregor and Rousey especially have found out the hard way lately.

They have added so many rules that two of the biggest tools that a ground and pound style fighter had - headbutts and knees to the head of a grounded opponent have been outlawed. That makes the fights less realistic and plenty of other rules have also been added with the outcome of making the sport less realistic.

Word. Same with outlawing headkicks to grounded opponents.

Imagine if JDS had been allowed to boot the shit out of Cain's skull when he was failing TD after TD after TD after TD in their 2nd and 3rd fights, leaving Cain grovelling on his knees. In their 2nd fight Cain got Junior down a few times but he failed on, like, 15 takedowns. That's not even an exaggeration. In their 3rd fight, Cain shot, like, 11 or 12 times and only got 2 TDs.

But because there's no soccer kicks, wrestlers are free to spam takedowns, which, when they fail in real life, means you're getting your head kicked in.

EDIT: Just checked the Fightmetric stats. Cain missed 22!!! takedowns in their second fight and was 2/13 in their 3rd fight. I actually like Cain for the most part, but spamming takedowns gets boring fast.

1zcoa5k.jpg

4jv0w9.jpg

20pdkw.jpg

Last edited:
MMA will never be mainstream.

I'd there is a UFC card on fs2 or if Shawshank in on AMC, in watching Shawshank.

This is coming from a guy who likes the sport.

Agreed we need pride rules and get rid of all these damn chick fights yes some are skilled but with this pc bullshit we get spammed with 3 or 4 per fight card .

Imagine if JDS had been allowed to boot the shit out of Cain's skull when he was failing TD after TD after TD after TD in their 2nd and 3rd fights, leaving Cain grovelling on his knees.

But because there's no soccer kicks, wrestlers are free to spam takedowns, which, when they fail in real life, means you're getting your head kicked in.

1zcoa5k.jpg

4jv0w9.jpg

20pdkw.jpg

Yes! That is exactly the type of thing that has made the sport less realistic than it once was. Fighters today are allowed to use techniques and to put themselves in positions that would be disastrous in an actual self defense situation.

Knees to a downed opponent should be legal. And the round system should be abolished, I think it'd be very interesting what would come out of that.

Knees to a downed opponent should be legal. And the round system should be abolished, I think it'd be very interesting what would come out of that.

I like that. How many fighters have been saved by the bell at the end of a round? In a real life self defense situation there is no bell to save you!

At the very least, get rid of the "one hand on the ground makes you a downed opponent" rule. You're standing on 2 feet, bent over against the cage, in total defense/recovery mode, and your best defense from getting kneed is to lazily drop one of your hands to the mat. At least make it have to be both hands, because if someone just puts both their hands on the ground to avoid a knee to the head, they are opening themselves up for a bunch of other shit.

Imagine if JDS had been allowed to boot the shit out of Cain's skull when he was failing TD after TD after TD after TD in their 2nd and 3rd fights, leaving Cain grovelling on his knees. In their 2nd fight Cain got Junior down a few times but he failed on, like, 15 takedowns. That's not even an exaggeration. In their 3rd fight, Cain shot, like, 11 or 12 times and only got 2 TDs.

EDIT: Just checked the Fightmetric stats. Cain missed 22!!! takedowns in their second fight and was 2/13 in their 3rd fight. I actually like Cain for the most part, but spamming takedowns gets boring fast.

1zcoa5k.jpg

4jv0w9.jpg

20pdkw.jpg
He shouldnt have given him so much space to get back up safely and get momentum into takedown attempts anyway

1zcoa5k.jpg

4jv0w9.jpg

20pdkw.jpg

Junior still could have taken advantage of those situations with punches, kicks to the body, plenty of things. Not just walk away. Soccer kicks are mostly done after someone is defenseless from being knocked down and rocked.

Junior still could have taken advantage of those situations with punches, kicks to the body, plenty of things. Not just walk away. Soccer kicks are mostly done after someone is defenseless from being knocked down and rocked.

Nah, Shogun and Wand would kick a fool in the head in exactly the position Cain was in, after defending a takedown or while the other guy was getting back to his feet. They didn't need to be rocked at all.

You're right that Junior could still have thrown other stuff, but neither punches to the head nor kicks to the body are as effective nor as efficient as head kicks when a guy is on all fours like Cain was so many times against Junior.

Back