1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

I'd rather get soccer kicked in the face than have this happen

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by king of theRing, Nov 24, 2021.

1. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

That kind of wind up also allows people to dodge the strike. With knees on the ground you are often grappling at the same time so you can prevent them from dodging which isn't the same with a soccer kick.

It is far easier to trap someone's head while grappling them and then knee them in the head than with a soccer kick. I don't agree that soccer kicks will always have more force than knees on the ground either mainly cause if you can trap someone's head it absorbs a lot more of the impact and this is a lot easier to do with knees on the ground than with soccer kicks.

2. campbecc Gold Belt

Yeah that's why I said it typically won't land because it's telegraphed more than any strike, but in the instance where someone is basically out it can and it is insanely powerful. There have been a few fights where it has happened, though fortunately not near the cage (at least not that I have seen) but that's because it's been banned in major promotions that fight in a cage for that reason.

3. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Yeah, I just kind of think it is generally better for fighters that get concussed to be finished shortly after than being able to recover to take a lot more strikes, so I think soccer kicks would decrease odds of CTE though it probably is worse in other ways too.

If I had to pick between having fights in a cage without soccer kicks and knees on the ground or a ring where both are legal I prefer the ring.

4. campbecc Gold Belt

Both the ring and cage have advantages and disadvantages. One of the main problems with the cage is wall and stall especially when they are literally just holding the other guy against the cage and not throwing meaningful strikes or trying for a takedown. But the ring has the problem of people potentially falling out, though that didn't happen as often as you would have thought.

Overall I prefer the ring over the cage as well. If I were making the rules I'd use pride rules with elbows allowed and stomps banned.

NoBiasJustMMA likes this.
  5. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Yeah I'm not a fan of wall n stall and don't like how much fighters use the cage for TDD and wallwalking which can't be done as easily in a ring.

campbecc likes this.
  6. SashaIsABot White Belt

Haha, I didn't even notice it. I was merely joking ; people asking for someone else to provide studies often secretly hope that they won't.
    That being said, thanks for the information. So having a great chin is actually detrimental to your future health.

BenderIsGreat and NoBiasJustMMA like this.
  7. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

It seems to be and guys like Big Nog and Liddell seem to be examples of it.

8. SashaIsABot White Belt

Must be nature's way to tell us "hey idiots, stop being willingly hit in the head"

9. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

I'm actually a fan of no gloves. We see less punching but more realistic fights and they would definitely be close to NHB/Vale Tudo roots.

Blayt7hh likes this.
  10. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

It would definitely be less exciting to most fans, but I’m a grappling nerd so yeah I like no gloves too lol.

11. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Just more proof that most fans actually don't want to see fights and realistic hand to hand combat but rather just human rock em sock em robots and blood sports.

Honestly I'm at the point that I believe most who watch the UFC just want to see boxing matches in 4oz gloves.

Blayt7hh likes this.
  12. TorontoTO Brown Belt

That whole bout was honestly the worst reffing I have ever seen. People think that Russian ref in the UFC in Abu Dhabi was bad, this guy literally wouldn't stop the bout unless the guy literally was motionless.

This is Roger Huerta vs. Zorobabel Moreira

13. thebesteva21 Blue Belt

Worst case scenario a torn ACL/MCL ends your career. Most likely it just derails it for a time.

Worst case scenario for head injuries is death. It can also derail/end your career as well, and definitely posts a more serious long term threat then leg injuries.

I think those kicks should be illegal though. Just a cheap move

14. Maripucci Brown Belt

Time to ban punches to the face too. Imagine breaking your nose and not being able to breathe.

15. NickDiaz Banned Banned

TS would rather Train with Hughes then get one those

<{hughesimpress}>

16. thebesteva21 Blue Belt

If the kick was the only thing that landed the entire fight and KO’d him cleanly, then yes it could be less damaging (long term) then a accumulation of head shots. But by the time someone lands a soccer kick in a fight, the opponent has already received a ton of damage/multiple head traumas, so wouldn’t the head kick just be a catalyst for more trauma? After getting the shit kicked out of me the last thing I would want is someone soccer kicking my face cleanly, I would much rather take a few elbows or hammer fists then a clean soccer kick.

17. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Soccer kicks finish fights quicker and prevent people from recovering more often so there will be less strikes absorbed for most people with soccer kicks being legal and the main cause of CTE is the accumulation of head trauma not single big shots.

18. HI SCOTT NEWMAN ✔ Cats are the only hope for planet survival ✔

I've taken both, neither had any effect on me.

that sherdogger strength I guess

19. PhilMcCavity Orange Belt

Tru dat

20. capnlarge Silver Belt

I've had concussions and torn knee ligaments and while I wouldn't suggest either, the knee can be healed with surgery