I'd rather get soccer kicked in the face than have this happen

Destroying the opponents limbs is one of the coolest ways of winning a fight. I'd like to see this technique used more often and not done in the pitter patter points scoring way of Jon Jones.

Wow, so rude of you to answer with actual studies !! You were supposed to be humiliated by his post and look at the floor in shame, vowing to never talk about CTE in public again.
You're so unfair.
I accidentally posted the wrong link but have fixed it. There is still a lot that is unknown about CTE but the general consensus seems to be that constant head trauma in general seems to be worse than just getting KOed. So guys like Roy Nelson, Big Nog, Chuck Liddell, and Mark Hint are more likely to develop CTE than guys like Arlovski or Overeem who can't take a ridiculous amount of damage without being KOed.

Imo soccer kicks should decrease the odds of CTE as soccer kicks tend to end fights quickly so the guy who got concussed doesn't recover and take a shit load more damage. Most studies on CTE show that it is the accumulation of head trauma that causes CTE and not as much from the KOs themselves.
I think that rule change from 2018 is good enough. -

The new definition states that a fighter must have both hands — palms or fists — down on the ground in order to be grounded, unless a knee or anything other than the soles of the feet are also down. If a fighter is considered grounded, then a knee or kick to the head of that fighter is illegal.
-

Classic soccer kicks and knee's to fully grounded opponents are too dangerous and brutal. (in my opinion)
-

I didn't know there was surgery to fix brain damage like there is for a torn acl
I get your point but those reconstructive surgeries really aren’t great.

Knees on the ground should be allowed and these knee stomps should be, as long as ligament damage remains relatively low. If we see an outbreak of them tearing knees, then I would say we need to reconsider.

Soccer kicks I do think are a little too dangerous. Otherwise I prefer to keep the sport as close to its NHB roots as is reasonable for the long term health of its fighters

You'd prefer the likeliness of brain damage/concussion vs the likeliness of a torn ligament or two?
As a guy who tore his LCL, fucking lol id take a torn lcl and acl any day of the year vs a soccer kick to the head that ko's me and gives me a concussion and possible brain damage. And i think soccer kicks in mma should be legal.
Fockker kicks didn't do nothin to me

Imo soccer kicks should decrease the odds of CTE as soccer kicks tend to end fights quickly so the guy who got concussed doesn't recover and take a shit load more damage. Most studies on CTE show that it is the accumulation of head trauma that causes CTE and not as much from the KOs themselves.
What makes you think there is no follow up? I know a well placed soccer kick might be clear for the guy throwing it that the fight is over, but that also happen with punches and that has never stopped most of the MMA guys, as a single strike its probably the strongest one anyone can receive, no matter what happens after, some damage will be done.

The new definition states that a fighter must have both hands — palms or fists — down on the ground in order to be grounded, unless a knee or anything other than the soles of the feet are also down. If a fighter is considered grounded, then a knee or kick to the head of that fighter is illegal.
-

Classic soccer kicks and knee's to fully grounded opponents are too dangerous and brutal. (in my opinion)
-

There is no way though that those knees Jiri is throwing are harder than knees he can throw standing. This is doubly true when you talk about knees where you are yanking the head down into them in the Thai clinch or knees countering a guy shooting in on you

Yeah. A soccer goalie got a cracked skull and was close to death some years ago after being kicked in the head. His life was only saved after surgeons inserted a metal plate in his skull. But hey, it should obviously be legal.

wonder how affective it would be for a spinning kick to the thigh would be

-

-

I don't think there is any reason to believe soccer kicks are more dangerous, knees on thr ground could be cause your head doesn't have anywhere to go and could get trapped.

Repeated head trauma is what every fighter takes in sparring. There is no conclusive evidence on what repeated head trauma + loss of consciousness events with trauma is doing to the brain
Ok, you can disagree with the experts if you want to but I'll listen to what the people who know most about the subject have to say.

How this is allowed is beyond me. And even worse people bitch about soccer kicks and knees to grounded opponent. I'll pick those any day of the week.

I didnt even hit play, just looking at the picture is making me grimace in pain lol

What makes you think there is no follow up? I know a well placed soccer kick might be clear for the guy throwing it that the fight is over, but that also happen with punches and that has never stopped most of the MMA guys, as a single strike its probably the strongest one anyone can receive, no matter what happens after, some damage will be done.
I didn't say there is always no follow up but fights tend to be stopped from Soccer kicks far sooner which would lead to less accumulated trauma. I would say a standing head kick or knee to the head in the clinch also generate more power than soccer kicks as well.

Yeah. A soccer goalie got a cracked skull and was close to death some years ago after being kicked in the head. His life was only saved after surgeons inserted a metal plate in his skull. But hey, it should obviously be legal.
Comparing Soccer to MMA is silly. Goalies don't train to avoid strikes in a sport where any form of striking is illegal.

Lmao solid reasoning.

You go tell that to car crash or brutal assault survivors. ”Yeah it was just a one time thing, no worries, you eat through a straw and probably can’t never work again in your life but at least it wasn’t an accumulation of impacts on your head. Your brain would never recover from that!”

Lmao solid reasoning.

You go tell that to car crash or brutal assault survivors. ”Yeah it was just a one time thing, no worries, you eat through a straw and probably can’t never work again in your life but at least it wasn’t an accumulation of impacts on your head. Your brain would never recover from that!”
Lmao at comparing car crashes to MMA fighters as if they are in any way similar. I have also never heard of anyone getting CTE from a car crash.

I didn't say there is always no follow up but fights tend to be stopped from Soccer kicks far sooner which would lead to less accumulated trauma. I would say a standing head kick or knee to the head in the clinch also generate more power than soccer kicks as well.
Those two strikes have to fight gravity, i would still think a soccer kick out powers them because of this.

Back