Social ICE tried to DEPORT an AMERICAN CITIZEN and Marine Vet. because of his race? probably

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Jilmar Ramos-Gomez was born in Grand Rapids, Mich. He served in the Marines and saw combat in Afghanistan. He's a U.S. citizen. But last month, ICE took him into custody to face possible deportation.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/6861...uteaxREJHpVLg4ta3JHfJPwEqkL-8tJwIeLriYJUNf7qs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lion-mexican-americans-for-stealing-u-s-jobs/

This is not the first time something like this has happened, and confirms the idea that in the United States, Americans of Mexican or latin american descent have not been seen as true citizens because of their race and blood. This needs to end now.

jilmar_ramos_gomez_picture-1--73b69020c48a9c6f6ad91584e39bfcc572679993-s1100-c15.jpg

Last edited:
I’d assume it was because his name and/or DOB matched an actual illegal immigrant ICE wanted and they screwed up. Or maybe they actually hate mexicans and want to deport all of them including citizens. One is as likely as the other, IMO.

But last month, ICE took him into custody to face possible deportation.

Non-story. This happens to everyone with an accent...I live in an area with a relative shit-ton of Polish immigrants and many get picked up all the time, even 3rd generation Polish due to the high amount of those here illegally.

Yeah...WHITE people...dont read about that because thats not the current media narrative...also, at least the Pols learned English...her son was BORN here yet she still only speaks Spanish? They tried to deport the wrong person...

This is not the first time something like this has happened, and confirms the idea that in the United States, Americans of Mexican or latin american descent have not been seen as true citizens because of their race and blood. This needs to end now.

News/sources showing ICE mistakenly detained other American citizens of Latin descent and that they are specifically being targeted?

According to panamaican, stories like this are a non-starter because you have to weigh this against all the times that ICE did not make a mistake in identity. So yeah, nothing to see here, folks.

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez was born in Grand Rapids, Mich. He served in the Marines and saw combat in Afghanistan. He's a U.S. citizen. But last month, ICE took him into custody to face possible deportation.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/6861...uteaxREJHpVLg4ta3JHfJPwEqkL-8tJwIeLriYJUNf7qs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lion-mexican-americans-for-stealing-u-s-jobs/

jilmar_ramos_gomez_picture-1--73b69020c48a9c6f6ad91584e39bfcc572679993-s1100-c15.jpg
This is not how a pattern is established, though. Think of applying this same logic to everyday life. You will create constant sweeping conclusions without actually solving anything. You can condem something specific and work to a conclusion with proper aim. Flailing around and getting angry at vagueness is self defeating.

Well that's it then. We should just scrap ICE completely and defund all border security efforts. Someone fucked up and we can never let that happen again.

I'd wager a bet that his identity was stolen / "annexed" by an illegal immigrant and unfortunately he's getting dicked around because of it. Sucks that this happened but it's not an epidemic because it has happened to a couple of people. We'll have to wait and see what actually happened and why his name was flagged by ICE.

I don't get this abolish ICE stuff, but they clearly need to see major overhauls in the way they conduct business. They're not the only one, ATF comes to mind.

Where is the evidence this was racially motivated?
The attorney, Richard Kessler, helped interpret for her.

"You just can't understand what I felt like when I went outside," she said, in Spanish, of that day. "I started to cry bitterly. I said, I can't believe this."

She cried. She prayed. And then she called an attorney. She says it took until Monday to get him out.

Ramos-Gomez wasn't at the law office with his mother Wednesday. He hasn't spoken to reporters. His mother says he is currently getting treatment for his mental health issues — including PTSD — which she says he has been coping with since returning home from Afghanistan.

Back in November, he was arrested by Grand Rapids police for trespassing onto the helipad area on the roof of a local hospital. He pleaded guilty to that charge, and a local judge ordered him released.

But instead of releasing him, the Kent County jail turned him over to the custody of ICE. The county did that based on a request from ICE, which claimed Ramos-Gomez was in the country illegally.

Kessler is the one who called ICE to tell the agency it had a citizen, a Marine war veteran, locked up in its jail. He says he suspects Ramos-Gomez had told people all along he was a citizen. The Kent County jail confirms Ramos-Gomez told staff there he was born in the U.S.

"They seemed shocked when I called and sent these documents, that what he was saying was true," Kessler says of the response from ICE officials.

A spokesperson for ICE did not reply to a request for comment.
Sounds like wires got crossed in their bureau-- that happens in bureaucracies, you know, and perhaps more understandably in the middle of a shutdown which is shoe-stringing them; this veteran has serious mental health issues; finally his family suffers language barriers. I imagine the reason they were shocked to learn his claims of being a citizen were true is because every illegal tries lying, first.

It's unfortunate this happened, and nobody wants our marines to endure even temporary jail time over false charges, but I find your accusation that this was racially motivated without any evidence itself reprehensible. It belies a prejudiced mind, and that is precisely what the moral war against racism was originally designed to neuter.

What made you this way?

ITT the rumpets act like being brown and having a family member who speaks a different language is reason to be subjected to possible deportation or detention because they feel their white privilege has been threatened and brown people who don't speak English aren't what they think is murikan.

ITT the rumpets act like being brown and having a family member who speaks a different language is reason to be subjected to possible deportation or detention because they feel their white privilege has been threatened and brown people who don't speak English aren't what they think is murikan.

So woke.

What the hell are you talking about? Where are you reading this? To whom are you referring?

What the hell are you talking about? Where are you reading this? To whom are you referring?
".her son was BORN here yet she still only speaks Spanish? They tried to deport the wrong person..."

"I'd wager a bet that his identity was stolen / "annexed" by an illegal immigrant"

"because every illegal tries lying, first."

".her son was BORN here yet she still only speaks Spanish? They tried to deport the wrong person..."

"I'd wager a bet that his identity was stolen / "annexed" by an illegal immigrant"

"because every illegal tries lying, first."

There's a lot of Mexican dudes working in ICE, same with border patrol.

Back