Ice cold showers after workouts

That sounds intredasting, how does ice or cold cause proprioception loss?

Lack of sensation. With a lack of sensation its hard to tell where your limb or appendage is in relation to itself. Combine that with an injury you may be nursing and keeping immobile or less active, you are basically hitting it twice.

Again im not saying we dont use ice in rehab etc but we have become more selective with it over the years. We look at the goal and see if the physiology of what cold sensation does matches up to an extent worth using.

I may try this today or tomorrow. Cold water instead of an ice bath for an hour.

I've tried to do cold showers after work out, and though it feels great especially since I feel I'm on fire, I can't get past the feeling of drowning. This only happens with colder water. I'm trying to get my mind used to it.

Gonna do it anyhow. I don't care if the calculations are correct. Minus the piss of course.
It's not that the calculations are incorrect, it's that his math and premises are made up.

Feel free. There are a lot of benefits and your energy expenditure does increase when you're in a cold environment. It's also pretty meditative and can help with autonomic regulation, so there's that. I can think of other things I'd rather be doing if burning calories was the main goal, but I really enjoy cold water therapy as well. It sounds like an oxymoron but it calms me down.

Last edited:
Unless you are doing something horribly wrong, there is no good reason for you to want to "reduce inflammation" from a workout.

That said, cold showers probably don't have a significant effect on reducing inflammation. If they make you feel good, you might as well go ahead with it.
You want to avoid reducing inflammation BEFORE a workout (ie dont take NSAID before lifting).

You want to reduce inflammation when you are training again shortly.

I've tried to do cold showers after work out, and though it feels great especially since I feel I'm on fire, I can't get past the feeling of drowning. This only happens with colder water. I'm trying to get my mind used to it.

Once I learned how to control my breathing cold showers became pretty easy. I always let the water hit my chest first, then back, then head. Deep, slow, controlled breathing is key.

You want to avoid reducing inflammation BEFORE a workout (ie dont take NSAID before lifting).

Except NSAIDS impair MPS. The inflammatory response after a workout needs to occur. You're better with active recovery methods than passive methods like NSAIDS or cold baths etc.

The use of ice etc is to reduce inflammation, important for college footballers who primarily are getting better through improved skill. They need to be ready to take advantage of the next, imminent practice or skill work.

It inhibits the gain one gets from working out though. So if you're mainly getting better through getting stronger it's a mistake.

Andy Murray using it to get ready for the next game in a tennis tournament is a great example of its use.

That's what I've gleaned anyway.

<209Bitch>

Provides an energy boost; good for your skin; helps with sleep; improved mood, etc..

Google it.

I do it five minutes daily. I don't limit it to workouts.[/QUOTE

i am coming off a bad swollen right index finger and right swollen big -toe can i just use the ice bucket .. you mean i got to really expose the whole body to ice shower in order to get the swelling gone ?
i am coming off a bad swollen right index finger and right swollen big -toe can i just use the ice bucket .. you mean i got to really expose the whole body to ice shower in order to get the swelling gone ?

There's no rules. You can always do both. The cold showers only suck the first little while. I'll admit it was a fight with myself to do them every day. Your body adjusts to it in time. Watch Wim Hof the iceman documentary by Vice on YouTube if you want or need motivation.

Man up!

There's no rules. You can always do both. The cold showers only suck the first little while. I'll admit it was a fight with myself to do them every day. Your body adjusts to it in time. Watch Wim Hof the iceman documentary by Vice on YouTube if you want or need motivation.

Man up!

oooooooooooooo man oo man i havent slept in 48 hours because my CP is so bad rice bucket

soo that is why is not it wasnt working YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSE TO ACTUALLY BOIIL the rice .. geez i am going to post in here more often .. atleast i get a pointer here and there better than fibromylgia forum all it is a bunch of "whinning men "

the more you try to avoid inflamation the less chance you have of getting results .. you have to go do some light brisk walking in the pool or swimming .. you're not going to get rid of stiffness with a ice shower unless its related to tenditis buritis or arthitis .. atleast i dont think but i am not sure
stretching is good but its just not just precise .. a longer warmup cool down more stretching it doesnt matter your body it doesnt matter

For what its worth I think our mma gym uses ice baths after sparring but does not when doing strength and conditioning. This approach might align with the Andy Murray idea where the sparring is a technical development but the strength stuff is not and therefore ice bath is avoided to maximise the gainz?

For what its worth I think our mma gym uses ice baths after sparring but does not when doing strength and conditioning. This approach might align with the Andy Murray idea where the sparring is a technical development but the strength stuff is not and therefore ice bath is avoided to maximise the gainz?
That's a fair proposal.

There's one of those metal bath for our athletic teams at my college. I heard only the rugby team uses it though.

What about sauna? When can that be helpful? Sauna it's pretty popular with East European athletes, I think they know what they are doing. I'm going to move soon to a new place and they have a sauna in the condo complex, do you guys think it's worth trying?

I suffer extreme nervous system fatigue after heavy lifting days.. especially deadlift day. I can't do ANYTHING after my workout. My body is running on fumes and my mind is cloudy and dull.

Cold showers are one of the most effective ways to get some near instant recovery. I chug a protein shake, then go right into the ice cold shower for 5-10 minutes. If I don't take the cold shower I either have to sleep or drag my feet for the rest of the day. It's not placebo, it's a really powerful recovery method used by many pro athletes including elite powerlifters.

Look into the wim hof method.

i take cold showers nearly everyday, a Barber told me i had beautiful skin recently , some people say i look younger since i've been taking them, my muscles recover quicker and i don't seem to get injured as much. it also gives me a mood boost due to the endorphin rush. This helped me get some feel-good chemicals while i was withdrawing from Crystal meth.

Back