Ibuprofen as regular training supplement?

Didn't find anything related to my question yet so I thought I would ask.

Anyone ever include ibuprofen (Advil) as part of your regular training supplementation? Any adverse effects or concerns in your experience?

I'm 27 and a half, not too old but I'm not 19 anymore and I am legitimately feeling the need lengthen the recovery period from training. At this age I'm feeling now when things hurt it hurts for longer. Because of that I've had to compromise the frequency and length of training. I just can't stand to buck up and train through the soreness anymore. But I'll never stop training entirely.

The soreness isn't so much lactic acid build up, it's more a holistic soreness. It's in my muscles and joints, aches everywhere, hard to move. At work my students wonder why I grunt all the time and it's because it hurts to even move around lol.

I do boxing three times a week and weights and other cardio the other days, five to six times a week. At this point I'll just limit to training five times a week. I'm not looking to compete, just train hard and spar sometimes with the (younger) guys.

I'm looking to make Ibuprofen as part of my regular supplementation. I'll take no more than 200mg a day when I need it, which may be at least three times a week.

Anyway thanks in advance for any input.

IIRC Advil is also an anti-inflammatory which reduces swelling and the extra blood flow to the inflamed area. This is bad, because inflammation is the bodies response to get extra blood and nutrients and the like to the area to help heal it faster. In most normal cases of inflammation it will help the affected area heal faster, and stopping that may mask the symptoms and pain associated with it, but slow the actual healing process.

IIRC Advil is also an anti-inflammatory which reduces swelling and the extra blood flow to the inflamed area. This is bad, because inflammation is the bodies response to get extra blood and nutrients and the like to the area to help heal it faster. In most normal cases of inflammation it will help the affected area heal faster, and stopping that may mask the symptoms and pain associated with it, but slow the actual healing process.

Mhmm, I got that part. In fact prior to making this thread I had experimented for a week. Sure enough as soon I stopped I felt a noticeable difference. I may have temporarily felt relieved but I did not get stronger from the week's worth of training. I felt like it had set me back actually. Its good to know.

Furthermore, I went to back to basics and put a sore knee on some ice for 30 minutes. Talk about simple yet effective. I'm thinking of making ice baths at home a regular thing for me.

Last edited:
Mhmm, I got that part. In fact prior to making this thread I had experimented for a week. Sure enough as soon I stopped I felt a noticeable difference. I may have temporarily felt relieved but I did not get stronger from the week's worth of training. I felt like it had set me back actually. Its good to know.

Furthermore, I went to back to basics and put a sore knee on some ice for 30 minutes. Talk about simple yet effective. I'm thinking of making ice baths at home a regular thing for me.

Two words my man, "Contrast Showers". Turn it up nice and hot for about 30-60 seconds then all the way cold for about 30-60 seconds. Repeat this about 4 or 5 times. Really helps flush out the lactic acid and does wonders for soreness and recovery. I

Note* This is NOT comfortable haha. Will put hair on your chest, but I find it to be Quite effective.

They did a few studies that showed contrast showers and ice-baths had the same efficacy, and both took a far back seat to active recovery to rid oneself of soreness. The numbers were pretty surprising on how temperature control remedies like those (which were shown to be only as good as stretching at best) had almost inconsequential effect compared to active rest. The same line of thinking would put massage high up on the list, so perhaps foam rolling will be validated a little better in years to come.

Source: quite a few on Google I'd read a few months back.

it's not suitable for long term consisten use, it can damage your stomach and liver.

It's fine to use acutely, even in large doses to help with problem injuries - but no it's not something you can take daily.

Back