IBJJF rules question

chris1190

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you have someone in a triangle and they have to go on bottom to escape, (like the one where you put your legs over the guys torso to wedge your head out) and the guy who had the triangle comes on top should he get sweep points or just an advantage?

Also if a guy in on top in guard and drops back for an ankle lock and the guy on bottom defends it and comes on top how should points/advantages be awarded? bottom guy get 2 for sweep or advantage for the leg lock attempt or what?

Should or are? I hate the rules for awarding sweep points on attempted leglocks but the guy defending the anklelock will get sweep points once the submission is escaped. If you have to bail to the bottom to defend any submission (rolling from omaplata or the triangle scenario you just said) sweep points will be awarded.

Yeah if you're on bottom in guard and you end up on top you will get sweep points. But if you're in a submission attempt you have to escape the submission first before the points are awarded.

I reffed a tournamed under the close watch of a workhorse ibjjf ref. After each match he would give me feedback and how to properly score a match under ibjjf. I reffed for about 2 hours and got a lot of info.

According to him, a sweep is only awarded points if it is done using the legs. He was insistant that it was not a "if you go from bottom to top" rule.

I reffed a tournamed under the close watch of a workhorse ibjjf ref. After each match he would give me feedback and how to properly score a match under ibjjf. I reffed for about 2 hours and got a lot of info.

According to him, a sweep is only awarded points if it is done using the legs. He was insistant that it was not a "if you go from bottom to top" rule.

so then based on what you just said I would assume that points probably should be awarded for the triangle attempt that forces the guys to bottom since a triangle is obviously using the legs, but not for the foot lock attempt since the legs don't really have to do anything there? It seems kind of strange though because based on what your saying that would mean someone who wanted to play guard could just sit down even when the other person is playing guard and not give up a sweep? I am pretty sure that isn't how it works though.

There were many specific situations that compounded that rule though. I don't want to misspeak but if he just sits down and both are on their butt, the first to come on top is awarded an advantage point.

I think ill interview with him for my youtube channel and go over some of the more confusing situations.

so let's say you get a triangle from guard and force to end up in mounted triangle top?

....it doesn't count as a mount but counts as a sweep or sweep + advantage?

If you go from Triangle bottom to Triangle mount, you score 2 for the sweep but nothing for the mount because it's not a conventional mount. You will also score an advantage for the triangle eventually once (if?) your opponent gets out.

adding on to what Oliver said, if you undo your mounted triangle to take the regular mount, that is an instant 4 points for mount and no advantage for your submission since you voluntarily let go of it. So in that scenario, you just racked up 6 points if had the triangle from the bottom.

Back