IBJJF Chicago

Wrestleben

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who's in?

You have to register online by 8/14/10 to compete.

Registration Page

I haven't registered yet, because I'm not sure if I'm going to do adult or masters, and also pesado or medio pesado. GRBJJ will be bringing out like 10 guys.

Some guys from my gym will be there, but I regrettably can't make that one....and I really want to.

My teaching schedule starts this month, so no competitions (I teach every Saturday) through the end of October. I call them the lean months.

Some guys from my gym will be there, but I regrettably can't make that one....and I really want to.

My teaching schedule starts this month, so no competitions (I teach every Saturday) through the end of October. I call them the lean months.

Bummer. Would be cool to meet you.

Hey Wrestleben, there's a ton of guys from the Gracie Barra schools in Illinois that will be coming. Competitors from the following locations: Loop, Chicago, Countryside, and Decatur. I'm sure there's a few coming from other states as well. This is gonna be a big one.

i still haven't signed up either. I'm undecided as to enter masters/adult (like you), and am teetering at 171-174 with gi on right now. I don't know if I should go down to under 167 (leve) or under 181 (medio). I think I'll wait until the 14th to register. Either way, should be cool to see everyone.

Bummer. Would be cool to meet you.

Agreed. I'd just like to make it to bigger competitions.

Oh well. I'm not going anywhere, meaning BJJ is a lifelong commitment for me, so I'm sure we'll run into each other at some Midwest competition.

I really hope the Chicago competition is flooded with competitors to encourage more Midwest events.

I'm gonna try and make it up there to watch. Want to make it a training weekend and go train Friday, enjoy the comp on Saturday and train Sunday, but we have to see when my financial aid check comes in lol.

I am there, can't wait. I will be fighting blue belt adult med heavy.

I'm thinking I'm there! I plan on it, but depending on $$$

fighting men's super heavy white and possibly super heavy beginner no-gi

Last edited:
Brazil 021 students will be representing at this tournament!

good luck to all!

Hey Wrestleben, there's a ton of guys from the Gracie Barra schools in Illinois that will be coming. Competitors from the following locations: Loop, Chicago, Countryside, and Decatur. I'm sure there's a few coming from other states as well. This is gonna be a big one.

i still haven't signed up either. I'm undecided as to enter masters/adult (like you), and am teetering at 171-174 with gi on right now. I don't know if I should go down to under 167 (leve) or under 181 (medio). I think I'll wait until the 14th to register. Either way, should be cool to see everyone.

Cool, I figured a full force of GB competitors and the usual Chicago suspects (New Breed, McVicker, Vaghi, etc) would be there.

Brazil 021 students will be representing at this tournament!

good luck to all!

Isn't Brazil 21 Valko bjj? Those blackbelts were a part of Valko not long ago!

This is great that this tournament is coming to Chicago! Chicago is fast becoming in my opinion one of the fastest growing bjj cities in the world! 1700 competitors at the last NAGA and so many schools. Graciebarra, Carlson, Newbreed, Valko and plenty of others representing I think probably close to 20-30 schools within a 30 mile radius in Chicago. Bjj is very strong in the midwest.

I am there, can't wait. I will be fighting blue belt adult med heavy.

Looking at the early pre-registrations, that should be one of the deepest divisions. Hopefully you'll get some competition.

The tournament is on a Sunday in case you didn't know.

Looking at the early pre-registrations, that should be one of the deepest divisions. Hopefully you'll get some competition.

Yeah hopefully it will end up being a big division. If the NAGA in Chicago drew 1700 I am hoping to get a division with at least 20 plus

Isn't Brazil 21 Valko bjj? Those blackbelts were a part of Valko not long ago!

This is great that this tournament is coming to Chicago! Chicago is fast becoming in my opinion one of the fastest growing bjj cities in the world! 1700 competitors at the last NAGA and so many schools. Graciebarra, Carlson, Newbreed, Valko and plenty of others representing I think probably close to 20-30 schools within a 30 mile radius in Chicago. Bjj is very strong in the midwest.

Partnerships rarely last in BJJ. Valko is back to being on it's own...and staying that way. We should have a sizable team at this tournament.

And before Valko, they were with Carlson Jr. Funny that.

We're taking Clintee Crabtree and some others from Grand Rapids to Naperville for the competition class this Saturday. I don't know if that would enthuse any more of the city people to participate, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.

As much as I'm disappointed that I won't get to go to this tourney, I'll be on my honeymoon. Maybe next year!

Back