IBJJF changing qualification for Mundials?

That is awesome. I know NY has one but do they communicate with other states? Would be cool if they could organize this for every state in the country.

Some state federations are in conjunction with the IBJJF (or they have their blessing) and some don't.

there are not enough people to have qualifiers. The fact that the mundials are4 days long with adult/master/womens divisions finished is proof of that.

If the IBJJF decide to have qualifiers around the world, it will mean the need to a IBJJF representative in each country to organise each qualifier event.
It is part of the international expansion plan of GB.

I agree you should have to qualify. I'm not even sure about having different belt levels. "White belt world champion" - what does that mean, anyway? The black belt is the world champion.

I also think it should be in Brazil, or at least move around every year.

I am pretty sure that this will only be in effect for Black Belts. It would be terrible for the lower belts.

I understand this idea and where you are coming from, but the less you get away from the big grappling orgs (ibjjf, GQ, Naga) the less regulated it is. For instance I am from western PA and there really isn't a PA state championship. There was however a western pa bjj state championship. I wonder how they would determine the legitimacy of tourneys like that.

Just an example: Between oct and the worlds of this year I won that west pa tourney and took first in the absolute at the Arnold classic this year. Theres two tournaments that I won but would I be allowed to compete at the worlds like I did this year with those two tournaments?

It is a pretty good idea if they can actually do it. Its a bad idea if you only qualify for winning ibjjf tournaments.

sure, but there is always this way too

Last edited:
They really need to start having local/regional/national qualifying tournaments to ensure that the athletes fighting at Mundials have already proven that they deserve to be there.

I also think they should get rid of belt divisions at Mundials (only black belts and colored belts who competed up in the black belt division and won at a qualifying tournament) and give cash prizes to the winners. Make it a professional competition.

So you want to drastically reduce the number of competitors and pay the champions. Exactly what source of money are you going to use to pay the champions. You do realized that the IBJFF makes its money from tournament entry fees and not the millions of people watching the event at home on ESPN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back