IBJJF changing qualification for Mundials?

J Sho

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
seen on a national IBJFF affiliate's website:

The IBJJF is incorporating an International Ranking System which will see only qualified competitors enter the World Championships.

doesn't clarify if this is for blkkc belt only or all belts.

thoughts?

This would be a great sign of a growth in the sport, IMHO... I like the idea of rankings and qualifications.

Interesting. I can see how this will raise the level of the tournament and bjj in general, but part of me is bummed if thus happens as I really enjoyed competing at the worlds and thought that it was pretty cool that anybody could potentially have a shot at competing against the big names of the sport.

Interesting. I can see how this will raise the level of the tournament and bjj in general, but part of me is bummed if thus happens as I really enjoyed competing at the worlds and thought that it was pretty cool that anybody could potentially have a shot at competing against the big names of the sport.

My thoughts exactly.

There is so many people from so many countries, unless its only black belts, there is no way I think.

I heard about this a yr ago: Something to the effect one must win at least two provable events that year at a state level and place at a larger level, but that was just rumors

I think it is aimed more at keeping the 100 plus man blue belt divisions down than it is towards the BB divs. If your a conspiracy believer maybe it is meant to keep the giants of the sport at the top.

I think it's good in the sense that there won't be an insane amount of people in one division. But kinda sad that if we don't qualify we won't be able to compete, worlds was such a cool experience to compete in.

I heard about this a yr ago: Something to the effect one must win at least two provable events that year at a state level and place at a larger level, but that was just rumors

I understand this idea and where you are coming from, but the less you get away from the big grappling orgs (ibjjf, GQ, Naga) the less regulated it is. For instance I am from western PA and there really isn't a PA state championship. There was however a western pa bjj state championship. I wonder how they would determine the legitimacy of tourneys like that.

Just an example: Between oct and the worlds of this year I won that west pa tourney and took first in the absolute at the Arnold classic this year. Theres two tournaments that I won but would I be allowed to compete at the worlds like I did this year with those two tournaments?

It is a pretty good idea if they can actually do it. Its a bad idea if you only qualify for winning ibjjf tournaments.

I understand this idea and where you are coming from, but the less you get away from the big grappling orgs (ibjjf, GQ, Naga) the less regulated it is. For instance I am from western PA and there really isn't a PA state championship. There was however a western pa bjj state championship. I wonder how they would determine the legitimacy of tourneys like that.

Just an example: Between oct and the worlds of this year I won that west pa tourney and took first in the absolute at the Arnold classic this year. Theres two tournaments that I won but would I be allowed to compete at the worlds like I did this year with those two tournaments?

It is a pretty good idea if they can actually do it. Its a bad idea if you only qualify for winning ibjjf tournaments.

Actually, there is: Pennsylvania State Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

I think it is aimed more at keeping the 100 plus man blue belt divisions down than it is towards the BB divs. If your a conspiracy believer maybe it is meant to keep the giants of the sport at the top.

Good. I'm kind of tired of my training partners saying "you should totally go compete at Mundials bro." I find it a little bit absurd when people say that I, a mediocre blue belt with 2.5 years of training and no significant competition wins, should go sign up to compete in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

They really need to start having local/regional/national qualifying tournaments to ensure that the athletes fighting at Mundials have already proven that they deserve to be there.

I also think they should get rid of belt divisions at Mundials (only black belts and colored belts who competed up in the black belt division and won at a qualifying tournament) and give cash prizes to the winners. Make it a professional competition.

Good. I'm kind of tired of my training partners saying "you should totally go compete at Mundials bro." I find it a little bit absurd when people say that I, a mediocre blue belt with 2.5 years of training and no significant competition wins, should go sign up to compete in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

They really need to start having local/regional/national qualifying tournaments to ensure that the athletes fighting at Mundials have already proven that they deserve to be there.

I also think they should get rid of belt divisions at Mundials (only black belts and colored belts who competed up in the black belt division and won at a qualifying tournament) and give cash prizes to the winners. Make it a professional competition.

For the first part of the post, maybe they think that you can grow a lot from the experience itself, whatever the outcome in results term is.

Anyway I 100% agree with the second part you wrote, would love to see something like that. Mundials should be all about the best of the best!

There is no way the same level of competition exists in different states, let alone countries. There are too many factors that would come into play other than just competition, injuries, money etc. Whoever wants to compete should be able to compete, thats how we learn.

Or they could do it like ADCC and have trials in different regions instead of every single state/country. They could have a bunch of trials - split Brazil and the US into multiple regions for example since we have so many more people training BJJ than some other regions. And hold 1 in Europe, 1 in Japan (and/or SE Asia), 1 in Australia, 1 in Canada, 1 in the Middle East etc, etc. It would make it easier for competitors to get sponsorship for the Mundial as well since you could say you "qualified" instead of simply paid $100 to register.

They could turn the Miami, NYC, Vegas, Asian, European CBJJ tournaments into qualifiers easily. Then it's just a matter of creating the others. They would end up making more money at these qualifiers because everyone would go if they had to win (or place) to qualify for the Mundial. IMO having qualifying tournaments would raise the overall level of the sport in the long run. At no other sport can you make it to the World Championships just by signing up.

Or they could do it like ADCC and have trials in different regions instead of every single state/country. They could have a bunch of trials - split Brazil and the US into multiple regions for example since we have so many more people training BJJ than some other regions. And hold 1 in Europe, 1 in Japan (and/or SE Asia), 1 in Australia, 1 in Canada, 1 in the Middle East etc, etc. It would make it easier for competitors to get sponsorship for the Mundial as well since you could say you "qualified" instead of simply paid $100 to register.

They could turn the Miami, NYC, Vegas, Asian, European CBJJ tournaments into qualifiers easily. Then it's just a matter of creating the others. They would end up making more money at these qualifiers because everyone would go if they had to win (or place) to qualify for the Mundial. IMO having qualifying tournaments would raise the overall level of the sport in the long run. At no other sport can you make it to the World Championships just by signing up.

good idea

I think a qualifier, or a required top 3 in a state final, should be the way to make it to the Worlds. I don't think the idea of just winning 2 top comps is the right way to go about it.

I don't like this, I love the idea of open tournaments that everyone can enter, and think it would be a shame. I understand it may also be a way to try and get the top BBs to compete more than just 1 or 2 times though.

Back