Iaquintas team failed him.

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
Cerrone has been responding much more effectively to pressure lately, bud. He's nowhere near the unfocused gunslinger he used to be. Al did what Al does bc you do what you train to do and Donald picked it apart with his array of tools coupled with his newfound reason to exceed expectations.

He's not losing focus in there where he has before.

Buuuut
You'd have to know what you're seeing while watching fights to pick up on those kinds of things.

Dad Cerrone is a new beast imo. Hes been able to take all that experience and level up. He has overcome, it appears, a good deal of his mental hangups and is going for it.

I think he was just too much for Al. I def had Al going in so....

I believe this had to do more with Cowboy turning out to be the better fighter in their bout. You've downplayed Donald here.

Agree, Al should have combine more his wrestling with his striking to make Cerrone feel uncomfortable. Also more pressure to nullified Cerrone kicks.

I should be a cornerman.

5937217-0135397911-giphy.gif

Iaquinta looked small and fragile for me.

No offense intended but Al's legs are small boned and thin like a woman's. He's got a thick upper body and the legs of a 12 year old boy. I wonder if it's just a genetic limitation or if he intentionally doesn't work his legs in the weight room so he can more easily make the cut to 55's.

I believe this had to do more with Cowboy turning out to be the better fighter in their bout. You've downplayed Donald here.

TS makes a lot of threads. That doesn't generally lend itself to high quality thoughts around here.

Styles make fights and Cowboy used his length and size advantage to great measure. Al, for his part, absolutely did land some very big power punches, but Cerrone was able to take them well. He clearly hurt Cerrone a few times, but he recovered fast.

Donald had the better execution and got on a nice roll. His cardio looked incredible over 5 rounds as well.

Al had the right gameplan he just wasn't able to execute. Cerrone is the superior fighter and it showed.

Cowboy fought better. Very simple.
No need to discredit Al or his team.

Al looked undersized and outpowered, Cowboy had reach on him, controlled range well, and his strikes, especially his kicks were just much more powerful and did more damage.

Nothing Longo or Serra could have said would have changed the outcome of that fight. Cowboy was the better man.

Al TRIED to pressure him and get inside but he got kicked HARD and jabbed up on the way in and he didn't have the firepower or speed to stay in the pocket and control the fight from there.

TS makes a lot of threads. That doesn't generally lend itself to high quality thoughts around here.

Styles make fights and Cowboy used his length and size advantage to great measure. Al, for his part, absolutely did land some very big power punches, but Cerrone was able to take them well. He clearly hurt Cerrone a few times, but he recovered fast.

Donald had the better execution and got on a nice roll. His cardio looked incredible over 5 rounds as well.

Well said.

I really enjoyed this "dad" Cerrone. He's certainly matured but still has a little of the old in him as he's stated in his interview. Cerrone still puts on a show and that's what I like about him.

His corner did tell him to pressure. And he tried. He was just getting beat up by a better fighter. Got beat up at range and got beat up close. Nothing really more his corner could have done.

I think Al should consider 145. He looked tiny in there.
He's an average sized 155'er against a guy who looked good at 170 when he wasn't getting monstered by mega weight-cutters like Darren Till (plus he definitely looked a little small against Edwards).

There is a blue print on how to beat Cerrone. the guy hates pressure and hates actually having to really fight for a fight. standing in the middle of the octagon point fighting someone bigger and longer than you who also happens to hate pressure is recipe for disaster.

Beating cerrone doesnt need a new formula or a lot of figuring out to do. it already happened too many times.

if you respect him 2 much he wins. if you go in there, pressure him and make him have to dig down he collapses. Diaz, Darren Till, Masvidal, RDA all broke him in a matter of minutes etc...

yeah lets just point fight in the middle of the cage see how it goes though.

anyway hats off to donald cerrone his career is having a turn around but now hes with the big boiss.
You could be right. However, it seems like Cerrone has changed his mentality. Alexander Hernandez is an "in your face fighter" and failed to break him. Mike Perry is a pressure fighter and failed to break Cerrone. More recently Al failed to break him.

It is not enough to pressure Cerrone. You also need the skills to be efficient and effective in your pressure.

Cowboy has vastly improved his ability to fight off his back foot.

You could be right. However, it seems like Cerrone has changed his mentality. Alexander Hernandez is an "in your face fighter" and failed to break him. Mike Perry is a pressure fighter and failed to break Cerrone. More recently Al failed to break him.

It is not enough to pressure Cerrone. You also need the skills to be efficient and effective in your pressure.
Cowboy probably realized after the Till fight that he needs to deal with pressure better.

And good on him, cause he looks much improved in that area now.

He won the 3rd round of the Diaz fight. How does a broken man do that?

Not to mention Cowbot just beat 2 pressure fighters in a row before fighting Al.

Dad Cerrone is a new beast imo. Hes been able to take all that experience and level up. He has overcome, it appears, a good deal of his mental hangups and is going for it.

I think he was just too much for Al. I def had Al going in so....
This post nails it.

Cowboy had issues in the past being a slow starter, getting overwhelmed, dealing with pressure and getting hit.

He did a fantastic job of returning fire with heavy counters to avoid being pressured.

He had improved head movement and excellent overall defense with very effective elbow blocks and parry techniques.

And above all he PULLED THE TRIGGER.

Today should be about what Cowboy did well.
Not making this into a negative about Al, who showed tremendous heart, chin, will to fight. Al is a tough bastard.

one thing I noticed from watching Al fight khabib and Kevin lee, is that he almost always throws single shots, he doesn't throw too many combos. Diaz beat Cerrone by throwing combos in volume.
I was screaming at The TV for Al to do this last night lol.
He’s got great hands, he just doesn’t ever let them fly when he needs to. Always throws 1 or two shots. When he starts letting off 3-4 he was tagging Lee/Cerrone hard.
And exactly, Cerrone get overwhelmed by volume and pressure. If you can step in on him and push him back your gonna do well.

There is a blue print on how to beat Cerrone. the guy hates pressure and hates actually having to really fight for a fight. standing in the middle of the octagon point fighting someone bigger and longer than you who also happens to hate pressure is recipe for disaster.

Beating cerrone doesnt need a new formula or a lot of figuring out to do. it already happened too many times.

if you respect him 2 much he wins. if you go in there, pressure him and make him have to dig down he collapses. Diaz, Darren Till, Masvidal, RDA all broke him in a matter of minutes etc...

yeah lets just point fight in the middle of the cage see how it goes though.

anyway hats off to donald cerrone his career is having a turn around but now hes with the big boiss.
I didn't hear Al's corner after every round, but they told him to do just that after the third round and I remember thinking it was good advice at the time. Of course, Al had already taken a lot of damage by then and had been dropped for the first time in his career in the previous round. He then got dropped for the second and third times in the proceeding rounds. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face, as they say.

Back