'I Would Never Let a White Boy Beat Me'

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by jerbabe22, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

This was the comment made by Bernard Hopkins in reference to his upcoming bout with Joe Calzaghe.

I know this isn't exactly a "breaking story" but it made me think. If Calzaghe said something like that about a black man, it would be all over the news - ESPN, CNN, USA Today, etc. Is this a hypocrisy that we, as a society, are much more tolerant of a black person saying such things?
    Here's another example. We all recall Rush Limbaugh's comments regarding black quarterbacks/coaches in the NFL - "I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team." He was immediately forced to resign or was fired. I'm a little fuzzy on that part of it.
    Now, when Michael Irvin said, "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know . . . some brother down in that line somewhere. . . . I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or
    something went down." Michael was allowed to finish the NFL season as a commentator for ESPN. Once the season was over, he was "let go".
    Let me say here that I'm not racist in any way shape or form. I was listening to a local radio show discussing this topic yesterday, stemming from Hopkins' comments & it made for great discussion. That is the reason that I'm posting this - for discussion purposes only. Personally, I wasn't offended by Hopkins' comments, Limbaugh's comments or Irvin's comments. I'm simply thinking this makes for interesting discussion.

2. FIGHT FAN

FIGHT FAN Brown Belt

even that comment couldnt generate any intrest among the american public. if joe would of said it, then this fight might of been a sellout. missed opportunity.

theres always double standards(thats life).

3. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

It seems like nobody's calling Hopkins a racist. I think if Joe had said something along those lines, people like Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson would be demanding a public apology.

4. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

TTT please

5. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

Nobody wants to toe the line?

6. BootyDaddy

BootyDaddy Big Bad

It pisses me off how we have to tip toe around certain races and religions everyday yes. Especially when it then seems others can say what they want, when they want and no one pays the slightest bit of attention to it. If people cry about something for long enough it becomes a big issue, and makes others shy away even when those same people commit the same 'offences' themselves.

An example, I am at work and I go into the locker room only to find an Arab man (excuse the wording but I do not know where in the middle east exactly) praying on the floor right as you turn the corner. I almost fall over the guy as did the elderly women who entered before me. In my now irratated state I ask 'what the fuck are you doing?', he replies 'I cannot desperb my prayers', to which I then say 'well I fucking can' and boot his praying mat across the room.

I am then reported and questioned by senior management and HR as to why I have been 'racially discriminating this man'. As everyone knows I am not a racist, but felt quite strongly about what had happened and explained as much. That being the fact that not only is he doing this on company time, but he has caused a health and safety hazard everytime someone wants to go to their locker. It turns out the place he was positioned is the most north, south, east, west to the sunset or whatever. Anyway I'm given a caution and he is given an apology 9not from me) and his own praying room. Go figure.

That is the society we live in today unfortunately.

7. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

Why dont you just watch where youre going?

8. mschatz

9. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

I think people play the "race card" all too often in society today. I'll admit that people like Al Sharpton & Rev. Jackson have done some good in their lifetime but it seems that when a black individual has been wronged, whether it's racially charged or not, they'll step up on their soap box crying shenanigans.

10. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

11. Rinksterk**

Rinksterk** Banned Banned

He should've said Muslim man. The guy would've been Persian.

As to the TS, yes its a double standard, but what can you do? Life is filled with them. A few decades ago a black dude couldn't even drink from the same water fountain as white people. So nobody giving a shit to hopkins comment isn't all that bad if you compare how it used to be the other way around. If hopkins was fighting a hispanic dude and he said something like, "I'll never let a Mexican beat me" I bet all these white people bitching about double standards wouldn't be saying a word. Because in reality, people only get pissed off if the group they're preceived to be in is insulted. White people only care because he dissed white people, not because of double standards.

12. mschatz

Like the Tito fight...shit, that was a LOT worse than just calling Cal "white boy."

13. BootyDaddy

BootyDaddy Big Bad

Because silly me, when I'm in a hurry and turn a corner in a work locker room, I may on occasion expect to bump into the odd person, to which I'll give a polite 'excuse me' or even a 'whoopsie daisy' if I'm feeling perky. I don't however expect to turn the corner and find beneath me a man on all fours with his face in the piss on the floor.

14. jerbabe22

jerbabe22 Brown Belt

No doubt that the elderly black people in society have had to deal with a lot of bigotry & maybe that's why we hear about it from them more than anyone else. Does that justify Hopkins' slur? I mean, he didn't go through the torture of slavery. People my age (30) didn't enslave anyone. As a society, we have to learn from history & move on, move forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.