I would like to see Ortega put on a little muscle and move to 155

He’d be in the same position he’s in now. Not able to beat the very top of the heap. You think Volk and Max beat the shit out of him. Imagine what Dustin, Justin, & Charles would do.

He was competitive in both and nearly finished Volk twice. He did some good work against Max, too, and rocked him.

Stop denigrating the guy for being competitive in title fights.

You can lose and lose decisively and still be good where you're at and work on your skills.

He needs to slim a bit and hit 135.

He would do worse at 155

How many guys have to go up and lose fights before people realize this is almost always a dumb idea
Bingo. Guys who cut massive weight usually have success when moving up. Guys who fit in their weight class don’t.

Ortega got 2 title shots in three fights. Both fights were pretty bad beatings. But I still think Ortega has tons of potential.

The next move should be 155.

Ortega has a good body for the weight class, just needs to add a little muscle to his frame to fill out.

I believe he can do well the same way Poirier and Oliveira when they went from 45 to 55. In fact I believe at the moment Ortega could beat Oliveira.

Anyways, it's time for a change and this is the right move for t city.
His body is odd. Hes tall for the division but doesn't look like ripped up or anything. I'd say he should put on that muscle and stay at 145 if he can. I've never heard of him really struggling to make weight? Sometimes you gotta push the limits im not a huge fan of big weight cuts but as long as they are allowed you would be a fool not to use every advantage you can get.

Moving up to 155 isn’t going to make his crappy defense any better.

Ortega vs Gaethje or Chandler is a fast way to cte city
Lol cte city is gold. With the beatings hes already taken and the ones to come it very well could be his hometown someday sadly.

Ortega got 2 title shots in three fights. Both fights were pretty bad beatings. But I still think Ortega has tons of potential.

Ortega has a good body for the weight class, just needs to add a little muscle to his frame to fill out.

I believe he can do well the same way Poirier and Oliveira when they went from 45 to 55. In fact I believe at the moment Ortega could beat Oliveira.

I wonder if he could do the opposite, cut every ounce of fat and water and make 135? I would certainly like his chances vs aljo

I disagree. Ortega is not a big FW at all by today's standards. You have several contenders at 145 who are significantly bigger than him (e.g., Max, Giga, Edson, Burgos). Nor has Ortega ever struggled to make 145. He would be very undersized at LW.

The problem is his skills, not his size.

Styles make fights, anybody could beat anybody in a single fight. The point is can he rise through contenders and get a TS? I highly doubt Ortega can do that at 155.

Poirier and Olivera have the BJJ base in common with Ortega, but they are also very refined strikers (much more technical than Ortega). Olivera also has a solid offensive wrestling game that Ortega would so desperately need.

I like your points... But would conjecture that when Porier and Olivera first moved up from 145 that neither one would have been described as a refined striker. They grew into it skill wise and size wise eh? Also,,, Neither Porier or Olivera took on ranked fighters until they had been in Lightweight for a couple years.

i don't. if Max Hollway and Volkanovski beat the life out of him imagine what someone like Gaethje or Poirer would do.

145 looks perfect for him.

Size, speed, power, durability, cardio, it's all there. Just unfortunate he has two monsters like Volk and Holloway in his division.

Even Max went to 155 and had a super difficult fight (and went back to 145). Ortega has no biz with the top of the division. Im not going to talk about the famous Irishman.

Why do people always suggest moving up a weight? Going up a weight rarely improves anyone's chance of winning more.

It would be interesting but I think olivera is a terrible match for him.
pettis-choke-oliveira.gif
lamas-oliveira-fight.jpg

I like your points... But would conjecture that when Porier and Olivera first moved up from 145 that neither one would have been described as a refined striker. They grew into it skill wise and size wise eh? Also,,, Neither Porier or Olivera took on ranked fighters until they had been in Lightweight for a couple years.

Yes it is possible in theory that he can have a similar trajectory wrt skills, not sure I agree wrt size. Those guys are naturally bigger than Ortega, so growing in size might be more beneficial for them than for a guy who, again, is not even a big 145-er.

He should be fighting 155 or 170 with his frame ...dude looks like a starving child making weight at 145lbs...

Weight cutting doesnt work for MMA as well as other singular combat sports IMO...it needs to go..

You want to be the strongest, healthiest and most hydrated you can be going into a fight especially 5 rounders

It would be interesting but I think olivera is a terrible match for him.

Olivieira is awesome but he's been subbed a lot..

Ofcourse this is attributed to his super aggressive kill or be killed style (jbg bless) but to say terrible matchup is a bit much..

Hmm maybe. Huge fw

The guy wasn't even jacked when he was caught on roids. He's not going to add much muscle to his frame

He's like Samson....he just has to wait for his hair to grow back fully.

Back