I would like to see Ortega put on a little muscle and move to 155

Gracious Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ortega got 2 title shots in three fights. Both fights were pretty bad beatings. But I still think Ortega has tons of potential.

The next move should be 155.

Ortega has a good body for the weight class, just needs to add a little muscle to his frame to fill out.

I believe he can do well the same way Poirier and Oliveira when they went from 45 to 55. In fact I believe at the moment Ortega could beat Oliveira.

Anyways, it's time for a change and this is the right move for t city.

Ortega's biggest problem is defense . He's taken over 400 strikes in 2 fights and is known for getting the shit beat out of him until someone dives for his legs and he gets a sub . Moving up to Lightweight where people hit significantly harder but are still fast is a horrible idea . He lossed to Volk and Holloway the two kings of the division . He just needs to take a long break , get some easier matchups and rebuild . Fighters don't have to change divisions everytime they lose a couple .

I disagree. Ortega is not a big FW at all by today's standards. You have several contenders at 145 who are significantly bigger than him (e.g., Max, Giga, Edson, Burgos). Nor has Ortega ever struggled to make 145. He would be very undersized at LW.

The problem is his skills, not his size.

I believe he can do well the same way Poirier and Oliveira when they went from 45 to 55. In fact I believe at the moment Ortega could beat Oliveira.

Styles make fights, anybody could beat anybody in a single fight. The point is can he rise through contenders and get a TS? I highly doubt Ortega can do that at 155.

Poirier and Olivera have the BJJ base in common with Ortega, but they are also very refined strikers (much more technical than Ortega). Olivera also has a solid offensive wrestling game that Ortega would so desperately need.

Last edited:
He'd probably do fine at 155, but Oliveira kills him, Poirier most likely does as well.

He is only 5'9 and has problems taking down guys at 145. Because his takedowns aren't good enough.
He won't be getting them down at 155 at all and his chin won't hold up there either.

TERRIBLE IDEA

He got 2 title shots at 145 and at 155 he wouldn't even be top 5

Let's be real.
Shot Swanson schooled him on the feet
Old small Frankie as well till the Ko

He is only 5'9 and has problems taking down guys at 145. Because his takedowns aren't good enough.
He won't be getting them down at 155 at all and his chin won't hold up there either.

TERRIBLE IDEA

Let's be real.
I don't think Swanson was shot at the time. He was riding a nice win streak and lookes good in those wins

Bad idea. He should just stay at 145, keep improving, keep that hunger, keep staying in shape, keep winning fights. If you win long enough one can't deny you. UFC likes him too so it's all good. He has one more run in him.

unlike poirier.. i think ortega is better at 145. he's not the same kind of fighter.

Ortega got 2 title shots in three fights. Both fights were pretty bad beatings. But I still think Ortega has tons of potential.

Ortega has a good body for the weight class, just needs to add a little muscle to his frame to fill out.

No. Bad idea. I felt that Ortegas main weapon in his current weightclass is his longer reach and body which allows him to bully smaller opponents and catch them from outside with tricky shots.

Why do you have Ortega beating do bronx?

TERRIBLE IDEA

Let's be real.

Guida and Moicano gave him very tough fights too, and those guys are nowhere near the caliber of fighters he'd have to face in the top 15 LW.

Really, the only contender whom Ortega clearly dominated against was KZ.

Last edited:
I'd like to see him cut his hair. damned hippy.

damn-hippies.gif

It will take 2-3 years to fill that frame in with muscles properly. And there you have Tsarykian, Makachev, Dustin, Gadje, Oli, Chandler......not an easy workaround.

I think he's fine at 145, and has a good strong frame at this weight and can make it properly. It's really an issue of skill and he needs to work on that regardless of whether he fights at 145 or 155. I think he'd do well at 155, but he'd hit the same wall against the top ranked guys there, as the guys are as skillful or better there.

He simply has to close that skill gap with a Volkanovski / Holloway / Oliveira, which is of course extremely hard, but that's the level he's fighting, the absolute top.

Back